U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,050,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Yeah ok.

We have nothing better to do than spend hours of our time interviewing people to glean some little tidbit of "free consulting". I thought the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist crowd hung out in the Politics forums, but I'm learning we have our own variety here too.

Because the NFL (and I guess the NBA, and MLB ) are "industries" that are representative of corporate America.
If you don't think companies interview people under the guise of hiring while really trying to either get protected confidential information about their current company, or to get help on solving problems that would usually have to pay someone for you are woefully nave.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 4,545,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Looking at it as someone that has sat on the other side of the table and hired a lot of people, let me make a comment.

It costs money and time, to keep interviewing the same person. No intelligent HM would do it, unless he had an interest in the person being interviewed..

Ummm, ok. So have you ever needed 5 interviews to make a decision? If so, what was the holdup and how did it shake out?

And if this is the case here then why wait a month and a half after the 4th interview until the 5th interview?

Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,124,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Ummm, ok. So have you ever needed 5 interviews to make a decision? If so, what was the holdup and how did it shake out?

And if this is the case here then why wait a month and a half after the 4th interview until the 5th interview?
It took me 5 interviews to land my current job, but it's fairly high level. And by the end of the 4th interview I knew the opportunity was mine to lose, so the 5th was more like a friendly chat on the phone with someone who just happened not to be available the day of the 4th.

A month and a half is strange. My feeling is the job got offered to another candidate, for some reason it didn't pan out, and they've gone back to the next strongest.

Five is a lot, as I said before, but still, if you want the job you go for it. All these comments expressing outrage make no sense to me.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,923,178 times
OP, any chance there was a re-org, or a temporary hiring freeze? I've seen both of those disrupt hiring requisitions before.

My current job required 4 rounds of interviews, the last of which consisted of 1.5 days of back-to-back, panel interviews. It was a pretty tough experience, and I joke that I've blocked it out. I think I had 8 separate interviews during that 2 day timespan, though. So I don't think 5 interviews is necessarily a red flag, depending on the specifics of the position and the industry. Shoot, if the first interview or two were conducted by a recruiter or someone in HR, those almost don't count.

When my company hires, we typically go through several rounds of interviews -- 3 or 4 is the typical number, although I've seen more. Generally #1 is a phone screen, #2 is a technical interview to ensure you actually meet the job requirements, #3 is interviews by the team/your potential new coworkers and manager, and if there's a #4, it'll be your manager's manager.

Going through multiple rounds doesn't necessarily mean a company or hiring manager is messed up or cannot make a decision. There are all kinds of factors at play, such as:

- the needs of the team may have changed partway through the hiring process (new manager, someone quits, the team assumes new responsibilities)
- stakeholders may be in disagreement over who they feel is the best candidate
- the job was already offered to someone else, but they declined it and the hiring committee is having trouble deciding who the next most qualified applicant would be

I'm certainly sympathetic to anyone going through the job hunting process, it's stressful enough without having to go through multiple rounds of interviews. But on the positive side... they keep progressing you on to the next round. This means they like you and you are a serious candidate. It's much better than a reject-o-gram email, right?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Going through multiple rounds doesn't necessarily mean a company or hiring manager is messed up or cannot make a decision. There are all kinds of factors at play...

I'm certainly sympathetic to anyone going through the job hunting process, it's stressful enough without having to go through multiple rounds of interviews. But on the positive side... they keep progressing you on to the next round. This means they like you and you are a serious candidate. It's much better than a reject-o-gram email, right?
Good post & I also think it's a good sign, albeit inconvenient, in the sense that the OP hasn't been eliminated & has returned for additional interviews. In some cases, we'll never know the internal workings of a manager's motives, let alone a group of managers.

To that end, years ago, I worked for a Seattle software co, was hired after only a 1-hr phone interview & within days had packed up my rickety Hyundai & was on my way alone from NYC to Seattle. I was working for 1-mo before being nervously & sheepishly approached by my boss, who said her boss (a VP) felt slighted that he hadn't been able to interview me or have a say in my hiring (he was hired as I was making my way cross country), so he wanted to arrange an interview. What?? I was sweating bullets... he had to approve my hire, after I'd left everything behind, quit my job & relocated 3K miles... & was already hired?

We set it up for 1-2 weeks later & although I was now employed for 6-wks or so & doing well, he spoke to me as if I hadn't been hired, making me jump through initial HR question hoops like, 'Why do you want this job?'... all I wanted to say was, 'I already work here! Didn't you read my cover letter & resume before our pretend hiring interview?' I guess it went well... I never heard any feedback (when I asked my boss once, she snapped my head off, stating that I already had the job, why did I care... geesh), I got the feeling it was a power play by my boss' boss to let her know who was in charge & her boss forevermore gave me the evil eye (never could get over that he didn't make the final decision, I guess). I'm mentioning this as perhaps some of the interviews with the OP are in part due to internal power plays & nothing to do with him/her.

End of story, is my 'interview' mattered not as the company was sold off in 6-mos & all 200 employees were fired one Sunday evening via email... seems that sale was already in the works long before I & the handful of employees behind me were hired. So, as MSChemist keeps saying, we need to look out for our best interests alone, as no company will. Still, if I needed that job or any, I'd take it in a second. For a career move, I'd consider it very carefully.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM

5,711 posts, read 3,195,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Completely agree and I feel the OP's pain. While I work a corp gig right now, I once interviewed four times for a high-end cocktailing/waitressing position at a four star steakhouse. When they wanted me to come in for a 5th interview I told them no thank you.
Ragazza, are you making that up? Five interviews for a food service position? That is crazy! Good for you for walking away from that potential nightmare!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM

5,711 posts, read 3,195,471 times
[quote=MSchemist80;33036461]3 interviews is ridiculous, 4 is a no, and 5 is a H#ll No.

This is a company paralyzed by indecision. Also interviews are mostly nonsense to begin with 5X nonsense is a whole lot of nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth? I interviewed for a job almost 2 weeks ago at the organization I've already worked at for more than a year (haven't heard anything yet ). I just couldn't understand how the questions the interviewers asked would reveal any more about my qualifications, work habits and ability to perform the functions of the vacant position than what they already know.

I realize organizations have to conduct interviews for all selected applicants as a professional formality, but the whole process often seems like a total game.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,529,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I realize organizations have to conduct interviews for all selected applicants as a professional formality, but the whole process often seems like a total game.
There are lots of laws now that often require "paper trail" backup to avoid (mostly) civil lawsuits so the "formalities" often get tied to that.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,733,408 times
So OP what happened?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM

44 posts, read 72,456 times
Slight update: After the follow-up interview being rescheduled time and time again (due to conflicts on behalf of various panel/committee members and bad weather), they now want me to come in again within the next two weeks. This will be the fifth in-person interview. I wrote back to the "hiring manager" (in parenthesis because it's clear she's not making the decision) and said that I have never been through an interview process like this before, to which there was no response (nothing even like, "I understand," or "I appreciate your patience," or "You're right. This has not gone unnoticed," etc.). Just crickets, with the follow-up interview scheduled in two weeks. What do you all think about this? What does this say about the culture or the people? Would you proceed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or