U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,939,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
Slight update: After the follow-up interview being rescheduled time and time again (due to conflicts on behalf of various panel/committee members and bad weather), they now want me to come in again within the next two weeks. This will be the fifth in-person interview. I wrote back to the "hiring manager" (in parenthesis because it's clear she's not making the decision) and said that I have never been through an interview process like this before, to which there was no response (nothing even like, "I understand," or "I appreciate your patience," or "You're right. This has not gone unnoticed," etc.). Just crickets, with the follow-up interview scheduled in two weeks. What do you all think about this? What does this say about the culture or the people? Would you proceed?
If you are unemployed, what choice do you have? If you are employed, I would not continue to put myself through this unless it is an opportunity of a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,203,142 times
LOL. The thread title made me laugh. 5 interviews??
What else could they possibly ask that they havent asked the first, second, third or fourth time?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM

44 posts, read 72,616 times
It's not about being employed or unemployed. I don't want to risk ending up in a sick work culture. Are these tell-tale signs?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
LOL. The thread title made me laugh. 5 interviews??
What else could they possibly ask that they havent asked the first, second, third or fourth time?
I wish I knew. I was told they want to spend more "one-on-one" time with me individually.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:03 AM

821 posts, read 921,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Companies cannot afford to waste time on bad hires.
Odd, considering that there is an astonishing amount of terrible employees out there, some retaining their jobs for decades.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 AM

8,812 posts, read 13,301,562 times
Good god the start of this thread was 2 months ago and that company and the OP are still playing games and the OP claims this started last Sept? This is just insanity at this point.

OP haven't you found anything better between the start of this an now?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Good god the start of this thread was 2 months ago and that company and the OP are still playing games and the OP claims this started last Sept? This is just insanity at this point.

OP haven't you found anything better between the start of this an now?
I am doing fine, but the issue is that this is seen as a great, relatively exclusive employer. So I am baffled about this process. Having done some work in organizational dynamics, I find this an interesting case study and am wondering if I should continue to spin my wheels with them.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
If you are unemployed, what choice do you have? If you are employed, I would not continue to put myself through this unless it is an opportunity of a lifetime.
Easy. Say NO. Being unemployed doesn't mean it's OK to be anyone's doormat. They should have been able to make a choice by now and decided whether to hire OP or not. OTOH, they might be the kind of employer who is just testing OP by determining if he/she will tell them no. Some firms are passive aggressive that way. Besides it appears they haven't made up their mind for whatever reasons, thus doing another interview is no guarantee he/she will get the job, so then OP will have wasted his/her time once again.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 03-09-2014 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
I am doing fine, but the issue is that this is seen as a great, relatively exclusive employer. So I am baffled about this process. Having done some work in organizational dynamics, I find this an interesting case study and am wondering if I should continue to spin my wheels with them.
Only you can make that decision. I know that sounds like an oversimplification but if this is indeed a unique company recognized as a "great, relatively exclusive employer" then they may well be justified in putting you through the mill.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM

920 posts, read 1,731,668 times
Quote:
It's not about being employed or unemployed. I don't want to risk ending up in a sick work culture. Are these tell-tale signs?
If this forum had been made by someone other than you and you were reading it, wouldn't you think these are tell-tale signs? In their attempt to make sure they hire the "right" person, that company is completely overdoing and overthinking EVERYthing. Why, I haven't a clue- they want the perfect fit, but obviously people can know what to say and do in an interview in order to make a company THINK they are a perfect fit (I'm not talking about you, I'm generalizing). You email them recently to make a comment, and they can't even be decent enough to write you back and tell you they understand, they're sorry, anything. You say they are a small exclusive company, and perhaps they know that is the way they are perceived....and they are taking liberties with people because of their reputation.

A little story....my husband applied to IBM back in August. He had an interview, in person, in August....and two days later they called to tell him he had the job, but it wouldn't start until a few months later as they had hired some others as well and they would all be starting a class at the same time for training. Of course, he was hyped...entry-level (he just got his Master's a few months ago), but it was IBM...which would look awesome on his resume', plus they have great training so he would be hands-on learning things.

Downside: It's March....and the job hasn't started YET. Put off, put off, he gets a call from the recruiter every couple of weeks telling him nothing has changed, but she wants to keep him in the loop....although there is nothing "looping", so every couple of weeks it's the same-old same-old. He is working where we are (this job is a few hundred miles away), and he's disgusted with them. He really wants this job, but he's not going to take it because this whole situation is beyond ridiculous. Dragging it out for months, and he realizes if they treat prospective employees in this way, what would it be like to actually work for them? Not to mention the fact that the pay is pretty bad, nowhere near comparable to other jobs that are the same (Java Programmer). But because they are a well known, respectable company that has been around a long time and has a reputation (sort of like your smaller, exclusive company that you are going to interviews for), they don't feel a need to treat people with respect, and have no qualms about dragging things out to the point of absurdity. And if they are treating people like that now, before you are hired, before HE is hired, what makes you think that the treatment would be any better? These companies are working on their own agenda...and their employees are incidentals, something to bring up the numbers, or not. Expendable. If they didn't see people that way, they would have the decency to have at least a modicum of respect for those that they want/possibly want to hire. My husband has a couple of interviews with other companies going on, there is no way that he's even going to bother with this company, IBM or no. If I were you, I would definitely be looking for other jobs as well, and not hinging everything on these people who don't have the decency to write you back when you write to them about the....well, absurdity, basically, of five interviews- and the last one being put off months out. Do you really want to work for a company that treats people this way?

Tell them to go get hosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or