U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:26 PM

56 posts, read 75,749 times

Advertisements

My previous employer made me interview 3 times for a freakin teller position making $23,400/yr. At the time, I really wanted out of the job I was in so I was like whatever. I worked there for about a year before leaving to go to my current position. I make about $5K more and they brought me in for 1 interview, checked my background and my references and that was that. While I am ok with 2 interviews, anything more than that is kind of crazy. 3 I understand depending on the type of position but beyond that, I am confused. After I left my teller position, it took them almost 5 months to find my replacement. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I can understand not wanting to hire the wrong person but just because someone interviews well does not mean they are the right person for the job. It just means that they interview well. They made my former coworker work alone for almost 5 months before hiring help. This is not fair to other employees of the company and if this position is consumer related, it is not fair to the customer's either. Being afraid to make a mistake is not the way to be. The only real way to learn from your mistakes is to make them. Job hunting is so exhausting. Good luck to you :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,421,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
Slight update: After the follow-up interview being rescheduled time and time again (due to conflicts on behalf of various panel/committee members and bad weather), they now want me to come in again within the next two weeks. This will be the fifth in-person interview. I wrote back to the "hiring manager" (in parenthesis because it's clear she's not making the decision) and said that I have never been through an interview process like this before, to which there was no response (nothing even like, "I understand," or "I appreciate your patience," or "You're right. This has not gone unnoticed," etc.). Just crickets, with the follow-up interview scheduled in two weeks. What do you all think about this? What does this say about the culture or the people? Would you proceed?

Absolutely NOT.

I think you really need to let this one go. Is this a government agency?

They've given you the runaround for almost SEVEN months.

You're better than me, because I never would have responded back to the HR person the same way she did NOT respond back to you.

This company smacks of major indecisiveness. Something is wrong with their internal leadership.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 PM

89 posts, read 173,037 times
They are most likely giving you the run around. Five interviews is absolutely ridiculous. I call BS on companies trying to absolutely make sure that someone is the right fit. After one or two interviews, you can tell if someone can do the job. The whole "fitting in" thing is nonsense. Most people will fit in fine at any organization. The minority do not. Humans are adaptive creatures who have the ability to adapt to their environment.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:02 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,705,411 times
Quote:
Slight update: After the follow-up interview being rescheduled time and time again (due to conflicts on behalf of various panel/committee members and bad weather), they now want me to come in again within the next two weeks. This will be the fifth in-person interview. I wrote back to the "hiring manager" (in parenthesis because it's clear she's not making the decision) and said that I have never been through an interview process like this before, to which there was no response (nothing even like, "I understand," or "I appreciate your patience," or "You're right. This has not gone unnoticed," etc.). Just crickets, with the follow-up interview scheduled in two weeks. What do you all think about this? What does this say about the culture or the people? Would you proceed?

I think you have your answer. This "hiring manager" whom you have now met a few times couldn't even extend the courtesy of a reply.

What do you think these people are going to be like to work for? This just wasn't some HR dolt who is ignoring you, this sounds like someone you will report to.

You have never been clear if you're currently employed or not, but I can't imagine taking time off from a job to do so many interviews at one company.

Unless you're out of work and financially strapped I wouldn't bother at this point.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:28 PM

333 posts, read 326,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msreed87 View Post
My previous employer made me interview 3 times for a freakin teller position making $23,400/yr. At the time, I really wanted out of the job I was in so I was like whatever. I worked there for about a year before leaving to go to my current position. I make about $5K more and they brought me in for 1 interview, checked my background and my references and that was that. While I am ok with 2 interviews, anything more than that is kind of crazy. 3 I understand depending on the type of position but beyond that, I am confused. After I left my teller position, it took them almost 5 months to find my replacement. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I can understand not wanting to hire the wrong person but just because someone interviews well does not mean they are the right person for the job. It just means that they interview well. They made my former coworker work alone for almost 5 months before hiring help. This is not fair to other employees of the company and if this position is consumer related, it is not fair to the customer's either. Being afraid to make a mistake is not the way to be. The only real way to learn from your mistakes is to make them. Job hunting is so exhausting. Good luck to you :-)
What's hilarious is the managers don't understand why their workers are stressed out from overworked, and why morale is low. They always think, "we aren't tough enough on hiring the right people that fits my company vision."

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 PM

44 posts, read 72,685 times
Yes, I am employed, but I was initially interested in this company because of the prestige, stability, etc. But now I think that this is truly crazy! Not that I didn't before, but the latest round of input on here just solidifies it for me. I will bow out! I am especially put off by the "hiring manager" not responding. One of the multiple people I've met with during this ordeal told me at one of the interviews that, "We should have a decision by the New Year. Or we may narrow it down to two, and have you both do a run off like on American Idol." Then he laughed.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM

754 posts, read 869,232 times
OP, something doesn't sound right. I would take a pass especially if you're employed. Maybe this is a part of some kind of game; see who complains first about a never-ending interview process.

If they behave like this now, how would they behave after "hello"? Who knows, when you take a pass, you may turn the tables?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,798,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You (and, maybe some others) are being used as free consultants.
They have no intention of hiring anyone.
Send them a bill for your services. $100/hr
I've heard of this one. Years ago, some small company tended to come by my college during job recruiting season. They would run a bunch of interviews and ask technical questions of the newly graduating engineers... and basically get free technical advise from them. They didn't hire any of them - it was just a scam to use "interviewing" as dirt-cheap consulting.

At any rate, this company sounds completely clueless - 5 interviews is insane!

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,051,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Having worked at companies "paralyzed by indecision," I'd say this is a good point. Five interviews might also indicate disagreement among managers about the job requirements, or someone likes one person and another person likes you, and they're going to keep interviewing you both until someone makes a misstep or drops out.

To me, one of the most important things for the interviewee to get clear: what is the chain of command here? ... to whom will I report? ... who evaluates my work, just my immediate manager or other people?

Early on in my career I got a job assuming the non-HR person who was interviewing me would be my manager. Big mistake. When I got there on the first day, I was assigned to someone I had never met and who had never met me. And she was NOT happy that upper management had hired me without her input. I made it work because, in fact, I totally agreed with her. That's pretty extreme disrespect. But you don't want to spend the first month on your job apologizing for your existence. (In the end, the execs who did that to her lost their jobs, so we came out fine, were a good team, and were both ultimately promoted.)
At that point, wouldn't it be a better thing to just flip a coin?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times
Quote:
You have only yourself to blame if this process goes any further. This is beyond ridiculous. I wouldn't write anything snarky, despite the obvious temptation. I think I would politely decline and remove myself from consideration. You're wasting your time even by thinking about it and responding to it at this point. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or