U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
Yes, I am employed, but I was initially interested in this company because of the prestige, stability, etc. But now I think that this is truly crazy! Not that I didn't before, but the latest round of input on here just solidifies it for me. I will bow out! I am especially put off by the "hiring manager" not responding. One of the multiple people I've met with during this ordeal told me at one of the interviews that, "We should have a decision by the New Year. Or we may narrow it down to two, and have you both do a run off like on American Idol." Then he laughed.
A lot of companies assume that their name alone or the money and title they're offering is going to sucker young 20s-ish employees into accepting whatever crap they get thrown at them. One of the reasons why some employers don't like 40 or 50-somethings is that, beyond the actuarial odds of getting sick and missing work, there's an even bigger problem: they know bullsh*t when they see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,313,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.

Time to start billing them for your time. Have you actually ASKED for the job in any of these interviews? Make them provide a quick decision so you can move on with your life.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,914,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Absolutely NOT.

I think you really need to let this one go. Is this a government agency?

They've given you the runaround for almost SEVEN months.
Gov't agencies don't even require THAT many interviews.

Five interviews is more than whats even required for something requiring a security clearance, although the clearance process can take that long or even longer.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,862,146 times
Most companies that are decently run don't require more than 2 interviews. 3 for a very high profile six figure job, maybe. Anything over 3 (and justified for the 3rd one) and you're looking at a bunch of losers. They must have a lot of time to waste if they are able to spend it on 5 interviews. They're not making any profit then if they have this much time. Were they trying to get private corporate information out of the applicant? Corporate espionage is a real thing. Did they want some free work done? Some candidates become so desperate that they will say/do anything to be hired after 5 interviews. It's some form of sick entertainment? It just sounds weird.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,936,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Easy. Say NO. Being unemployed doesn't mean it's OK to be anyone's doormat. They should have been able to make a choice by now and decided whether to hire OP or not. OTOH, they might be the kind of employer who is just testing OP by determining if he/she will tell them no. Some firms are passive aggressive that way. Besides it appears they haven't made up their mind for whatever reasons, thus doing another interview is no guarantee he/she will get the job, so then OP will have wasted his/her time once again.
Tell your creditors that. If I were employed or newly unemployed, I would have stopped after the third interview. If I were unemployed for awhile without any prospects, I would have come in as many times as necessary.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,914,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Did they want some free work done? Some candidates become so desperate that they will say/do anything to be hired after 5 interviews. It's some form of sick entertainment? It just sounds weird.
A friend of mine was desperate to relocate and therefore desperate for a job in the city she wanted to move to. A company she interviewed had her come back multiple times, do research, give presentations and even write a paper. She got the job, eventually, but left after a short while since the company was awful to work for but it got her to the city of her choice.

She's been an asset at every job she's ever had, and is now very happy with a different employer. I just don't understand how some companies are run...

Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
Eh, I've done 4/5 interviews a couple of times. One process, the longest, took 5 months from beginning to end. It was the best job I ever had.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,522,565 times
Put it to them like this:
"If you like what you hear at interview number 5, are you prepared to hire me at the conclusion of the interview?"

That'll get them to quit jackin' ya around....

Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM

27,328 posts, read 15,780,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Put it to them like this:
"If you like what you hear at interview number 5, are you prepared to hire me at the conclusion of the interview?"

That'll get them to quit jackin' ya around....
That or they will cut bait. The problem with the take it or leave it logic is it is a game theory decision board. There are only two options, they like your moxy for having the proverbial balls to say that or they cut bait because you are a trouble-maker. It's a zero-sum game. The path of least resistance is put on the game face (for argument sake) and take the interview and have it in the back of your mind if you get selected or not.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,995,926 times
This happened to me a couple times. Even currently I'm interviewing with a company since October and we're up to the 4th interview...

One time I had 6 interviews before not even getting an offer after the last one, and that was a damn 7 month process....

From my experience, it just feels like a run around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or