U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,698 posts, read 8,507,286 times
Reputation: 29413

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This happened to me a couple times. Even currently I'm interviewing with a company since October and we're up to the 4th interview...

One time I had 6 interviews before not even getting an offer after the last one, and that was a damn 7 month process....

From my experience, it just feels like a run around.
That's because it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,820 posts, read 13,316,033 times
Reputation: 15995
I believe to OP mentioned she is proceeding because she knows this is a train wreck and she can't take her eyes off out of professional curiosity. Personally I see no point. I would never want a job at an organization this dysfunctional so why go through the motions.

As for the unemployed, one of the hardest things is to realize when you are being jacked around and being able to cut your losses and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,677 posts, read 44,346,577 times
Reputation: 25001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I believe to OP mentioned she is proceeding because she knows this is a train wreck and she can't take her eyes off out of professional curiosity. Personally I see no point. I would never want a job at an organization this dysfunctional so why go through the motions.

As for the unemployed, one of the hardest things is to realize when you are being jacked around and being able to cut your losses and move on.
I agree companies do weird things. My sister was interviewed by the credit card designer which was part of his requirements for the jobs evaulation of him. He was very nervous and shocked my sister asked him questions. This is standard to have questions on the company.

I had an interview on the phone which the head of graphics listened in to see if I knew the correct computer art*vocab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM
 
8,980 posts, read 8,125,611 times
Reputation: 19502
Quote:
This is just not true. There are plenty of reasons for a HM to keep doing interviews without hiring someone. And has been mentioned before, the reason is to glean information about the competition, and for free consulting. You see it in more high profile industries such as the NFL all the time.
Quote:
Five interviews? That's way too much. Two or maybe three interviews would cut it. (One for HR, one for department manager, and one for the executive). Seems like they can't make up their mind.
It is very apparent, that these people making these remarks, have never been part of the hiring process. they have never had to sort out maybe 200 applications to find the best prospect for the job. You are first going to be interviewed by someone that is just verifying the information they have and filling in the blanks, to decide if you are to be given further consideration. It is done by a low person on the totem pole from the HR department. The HM is not going to waste their time doing the early interviews. That is what the HR Department is for.

You only get the second interview, if you pass the first cut. Lets say they are down to 20 applicants for the second interview which is done by a little higher up the food chain than the ones for the first interview.

If you survive, you then are interviewed by someone to make the further cuts. Depending on how many applicants survive this cut, as to how many more interviews you have.

The final interview is going to be done by those in position to hire you or not, and then the decision will be made of those in the final cut which one will be hired.

Quote:
We have nothing better to do than spend hours of our time interviewing people to glean some little tidbit of "free consulting". I thought the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist crowd hung out in the Politics forums, but I'm learning we have our own variety here too.
This last cut says it best. The HM that makes the final decision is going to be upper echelon executive(s), that do no have the time to take time away from other every day duties, to spend days trying to eliminate out the ones that will not pass the final interview, and the one that does.

The big reason for so many interviews is two fold.

1--The laws they have to follow to show there is no discrimination, etc., and to prevent law suits, the steps they are taking is really CYA necessities.

2--The sheer number of applications they get for the job being offered, takes time and a lot of expense by the company to process. The number of people that are not qualified, that apply anyway, up to 100 applications per day as some claim they do on these forums. The ones that will never qualify, have to be eliminated. Sometimes it takes as many as 3 interviews to get some of these eliminated, because as some of the people on this tread and in real life are good liars, and may take 3 interviews to finally eliminate the liars and unqualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,705,411 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
Yes, I am employed, but I was initially interested in this company because of the prestige, stability, etc. But now I think that this is truly crazy! Not that I didn't before, but the latest round of input on here just solidifies it for me. I will bow out! I am especially put off by the "hiring manager" not responding. One of the multiple people I've met with during this ordeal told me at one of the interviews that, "We should have a decision by the New Year. Or we may narrow it down to two, and have you both do a run off like on American Idol." Then he laughed.

You should be put off by her lack of response. I can't imagine taking all that time off from work for these people. You can only have so many "doctor appts" before people start to suspect you're looking. So it is important not to waste your time.

When you call in sick, have an appt., car trouble, etc.....so that can interview you don't want to be wasting your time.

That's smart to bow out. And JMO I would let them know why. Maybe someone higher up needs to be made aware of this. They may have no clue this is going on.

You could mention that you take your current position seriously, as you would have their position. However the idea of looking for another job shouldn't put your current position in danger due to a ridiculous number of interviews.

How ironic he mentioned American Idol, I would have said " Even American Idol doesn't go on this long". Which is the truth, this has been dragging on for going on seven months. End it.


As one poster said how do these people have the time for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
 
371 posts, read 621,305 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The big reason for so many interviews is two fold.

1--The laws they have to follow to show there is no discrimination, etc., and to prevent law suits, the steps they are taking is really CYA necessities.

2--The sheer number of applications they get for the job being offered, takes time and a lot of expense by the company to process. The number of people that are not qualified, that apply anyway, up to 100 applications per day as some claim they do on these forums. The ones that will never qualify, have to be eliminated. Sometimes it takes as many as 3 interviews to get some of these eliminated, because as some of the people on this tread and in real life are good liars, and may take 3 interviews to finally eliminate the liars and unqualified.
It might just be me, but as someone who has been in the hiring process for all levels of employees, this doesn't make logical sense and doesn't work that way in the organizations in which I have been involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
5th interview? You shouldn't even be required to weird a suit jacket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 AM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,068,996 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is very apparent, that these people making these remarks, have never been part of the hiring process. they have never had to sort out maybe 200 applications to find the best prospect for the job. You are first going to be interviewed by someone that is just verifying the information they have and filling in the blanks, to decide if you are to be given further consideration. It is done by a low person on the totem pole from the HR department. The HM is not going to waste their time doing the early interviews. That is what the HR Department is for.

You only get the second interview, if you pass the first cut. Lets say they are down to 20 applicants for the second interview which is done by a little higher up the food chain than the ones for the first interview.

If you survive, you then are interviewed by someone to make the further cuts. Depending on how many applicants survive this cut, as to how many more interviews you have.

The final interview is going to be done by those in position to hire you or not, and then the decision will be made of those in the final cut which one will be hired.



This last cut says it best. The HM that makes the final decision is going to be upper echelon executive(s), that do no have the time to take time away from other every day duties, to spend days trying to eliminate out the ones that will not pass the final interview, and the one that does.

The big reason for so many interviews is two fold.

1--The laws they have to follow to show there is no discrimination, etc., and to prevent law suits, the steps they are taking is really CYA necessities.

2--The sheer number of applications they get for the job being offered, takes time and a lot of expense by the company to process. The number of people that are not qualified, that apply anyway, up to 100 applications per day as some claim they do on these forums. The ones that will never qualify, have to be eliminated. Sometimes it takes as many as 3 interviews to get some of these eliminated, because as some of the people on this tread and in real life are good liars, and may take 3 interviews to finally eliminate the liars and unqualified.
Please you are a real estate broker( and in that industry brokers take anyone who isn't dead on the side of the road to be part of their agency and if the dead person had money in their pocket for the fees, they would hire them too). For companies that do things that make sense, a phone interview is done with HR, sometimes a phone interview with the hiring manager and then the person comes in and the applicant meets with multiple people at the same time and then they make a decision. Sometimes they will have a second in-person either planned or if some people are missing.
I'm sorry but no company being run by sober people is interviewing 20 people in person 3 and 4 times. I mean give me a break! It's obvious you have less experience in these matters than you claim.

Last edited by jdm2008; 03-11-2014 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
This happened to me a couple times. Even currently I'm interviewing with a company since October and we're up to the 4th interview...

One time I had 6 interviews before not even getting an offer after the last one, and that was a damn 7 month process....

From my experience, it just feels like a run around.
It *is* a runaround. Companies that have their sh*t together don't waste time - theirs or anyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is very apparent, that these people making these remarks, have never been part of the hiring process. they have never had to sort out maybe 200 applications to find the best prospect for the job. You are first going to be interviewed by someone that is just verifying the information they have and filling in the blanks, to decide if you are to be given further consideration. It is done by a low person on the totem pole from the HR department. The HM is not going to waste their time doing the early interviews. That is what the HR Department is for.

You only get the second interview, if you pass the first cut. Lets say they are down to 20 applicants for the second interview which is done by a little higher up the food chain than the ones for the first interview.

If you survive, you then are interviewed by someone to make the further cuts. Depending on how many applicants survive this cut, as to how many more interviews you have.

The final interview is going to be done by those in position to hire you or not, and then the decision will be made of those in the final cut which one will be hired.
If we're talking about two or three interviews, yes, that makes sense. Four or five is quite a stretch. It's certainly within the realm of reason that a hiring manager might need to communicate with someone a fourth or fifth time. Maybe their first and second choice candidates back out of the job offer, or some unexpected set of circumstances forces them to suspend the hiring process - these things do happen. But we're talking about actual interviews: How would you do X? What's your approach to Y? Sorry, but that doesn't take five or even four interviews to sort out. If it does, then there's something wrong with the company's hiring process. Someone's not good at taking notes on prospective candidates and filing them away, or perhaps they just don't know how to make important decisions efficiently and effectively, which is a very troubling sign.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
1--The laws they have to follow to show there is no discrimination, etc., and to prevent law suits, the steps they are taking is really CYA necessities.

2--The sheer number of applications they get for the job being offered, takes time and a lot of expense by the company to process. The number of people that are not qualified, that apply anyway, up to 100 applications per day as some claim they do on these forums. The ones that will never qualify, have to be eliminated. Sometimes it takes as many as 3 interviews to get some of these eliminated, because as some of the people on this tread and in real life are good liars, and may take 3 interviews to finally eliminate the liars and unqualified.
If HR knows what they're doing, they can weed through most of the unqualified candidates without even having to pick up the phone. They even have software for that stuff nowadays. Sorry, but I'm not buying it, and most people reading this aren't either. A company that keeps fumbling around months after a job vacancy opens, trudging along with fourth and fifth interviews is not a company anyone should be excited to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top