U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
 
1,158 posts, read 1,052,959 times
Reputation: 846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Please you are a real estate broker( and in that industry brokers take anyone who isn't dead on the side of the road to be part of their agency and if the dead person had money in their pocket for the fees, they would hire them too). For companies that do things that make sense, a phone interview is done with HR, sometimes a phone interview with the hiring manager and then the person comes in and the applicant meets with multiple people at the same time and then they make a decision. Sometimes they will have a second in-person either planned or if some people are missing.
I'm sorry but no company being run by sober people is interviewing 20 people in person 3 and 4 times. I mean give me a break! It's obvious you have less experience in these matters than you claim.
^^^ This

I have been interviewed by 3 companies recently. I declined to proceed with one, but at most I had "interviews" 3 times:

1. High level chat with someone in HR or some other person supporting the hiring team. They usually get a high level feel for you, you're experience, salary requirments.

2. Possible phone interview if you pass #1 with Hiring Manager or someone on the team. Usually talk about things more technical.

3. If you pass #2, you probably will be brought in for an in-person interview - may meet several people and talk about even more technical stuff.

There may be some variations, but if you can't figure out whose good or not then there is an issue with your hiring process and/or the people making the decisions.

For high level positions, I can understand that more interviews may be warranted. But from your run of the mill job, no one really needs to be met with 5 times. You're just wasting candidates time as well as wasting time of your employees. Also, the good candidates may have other opportunities, so you need to move fast. If you drag out your process and make candidates jump through more hoops, you're increasing the chance they will decline to proceed or they will have offers to go elsewhere in the time you're dithering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,665 posts, read 6,498,845 times
Reputation: 4171
Unless I am interviewing with the CEO, I am sorry, I really don't think I would make it in for the 5th one, and probably wouldn't have done the 4th one either. From where I sit, as a Staffing Manager, actually, we tend to fill our positions at an Exempt level as
1. An initial phone screen by a recruiter at our Corp. Office
2. An in person (or video conference for internals if the job is at another site) interview with the Hiring Manager and maybe another person or two in there.
3. Maybe a third one with a director or VP or that level. If its more, they tend to do them all that day, like you would meet with the Director and a VP one right after the other.

That's it, so, really, two plus a quick phone screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
 
669 posts, read 582,193 times
Reputation: 788
CEO level jobs are given via the OBN (old boy network).
1 interview followed by a handshake and a key to the
executive washroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,725,345 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Please you are a real estate broker( and in that industry brokers take anyone who isn't dead on the side of the road to be part of their agency and if the dead person had money in their pocket for the fees, they would hire them too). For companies that do things that make sense, a phone interview is done with HR, sometimes a phone interview with the hiring manager and then the person comes in and the applicant meets with multiple people at the same time and then they make a decision. Sometimes they will have a second in-person either planned or if some people are missing.
I'm sorry but no company being run by sober people is interviewing 20 people in person 3 and 4 times. I mean give me a break! It's obvious you have less experience in these matters than you claim.

Well said. Old Trader doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm sure that many of these posters(myself included) have been on both sides of the fence in regards to the hiring process.

And what you said about real estate brokers is very true...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
 
Location: New York City
38 posts, read 48,855 times
Reputation: 35
WOW 5 interviews? I would be totally "interviewed" out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 02:26 PM
 
8,988 posts, read 8,139,003 times
Reputation: 19505
Quote:
Please you are a real estate broker( and in that industry brokers take anyone who isn't dead on the side of the road to be part of their agency and if the dead person had money in their pocket for the fees, they would hire them too). For companies that do things that make sense, a phone interview is done with HR, sometimes a phone interview with the hiring manager and then the person comes in and the applicant meets with multiple people at the same time and then they make a decision. Sometimes they will have a second in-person either planned or if some people are missing.
I'm sorry but no company being run by sober people is interviewing 20 people in person 3 and 4 times. I mean give me a break! It's obvious you have less experience in these matters than you claim.
W
Quote:
ell said. Old Trader doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm sure that many of these posters(myself included) have been on both sides of the fence in regards to the hiring process.

And what you said about real estate brokers is very true...LOL.
I left the corporate world, as division sales manager for everything west of the Mississippi River except California and Hawaii which were a separate division, for a major international corporation. I left the corporate world as I was tired of being transferred and having to move a family as I moved up. So I have been in the hiring process many, many times.

I went into the Real Estate Business in 1971 not selling homes, but into commercial, investment, large farms and ranches, multi party exchanges, consulting, and developing. I went into it as I could stop the moving for advancement, and to make much more money.

My wife's sister retired from head of HR for a large Electronic Company. She said the biggest problems in recruiting today are:

1--People apply for jobs they are not qualified for, but think they would like to do that type of work. They think because they have a degree of some type, that it should be acceptable in other fields rather than their studies prepared them for. They think that a company should just hire them and train them. Companies are not going that route as they do not have to, due to a lot of qualified applicants.

2--Lies on the resume and applications, as to their qualifications, abilities, and experience to do the job. We see posters on these threads, that tell others to do so and brag about doing it themselves.

3--Federal and state laws and regulations, plus court decisions that must be observed in hiring and staffing.

Some jobs will bring in hundreds and often over 1,000 applications. First they are sorted by a computer, then a low level staffer from HR will do a phone interview to eliminate as many as possible. Phone interviews may be conducted 2 or 3 times more by HR, etc. The HM will not get involved, until it has been brought down to a small number of apparently qualified applicants. At that point, they set up a phone interview, and then for the final usually an in person interview.

If the people that are not qualified, quit applying. If the people would not lie or overstate their qualifications. If only qualified people applied for the job, with the right qualifications and experience. THE NUMBER OF INTERVIEWS PER HIRE WOULD GO DOWN DRASTICALLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,443 posts, read 15,844,101 times
Reputation: 9904
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife's sister retired from head of HR for a large Electronic Company. She said the biggest problems in recruiting today are:

1--People apply for jobs they are not qualified for, but think they would like to do that type of work. They think because they have a degree of some type, that it should be acceptable in other fields rather than their studies prepared them for. They think that a company should just hire them and train them. Companies are not going that route as they do not have to, due to a lot of qualified applicants.

2--Lies on the resume and applications, as to their qualifications, abilities, and experience to do the job. We see posters on these threads, that tell others to do so and brag about doing it themselves.

3--Federal and state laws and regulations, plus court decisions that must be observed in hiring and staffing.

Some jobs will bring in hundreds and often over 1,000 applications. First they are sorted by a computer, then a low level staffer from HR will do a phone interview to eliminate as many as possible. Phone interviews may be conducted 2 or 3 times more by HR, etc. The HM will not get involved, until it has been brought down to a small number of apparently qualified applicants. At that point, they set up a phone interview, and then for the final usually an in person interview.

If the people that are not qualified, quit applying. If the people would not lie or overstate their qualifications. If only qualified people applied for the job, with the right qualifications and experience. THE NUMBER OF INTERVIEWS PER HIRE WOULD GO DOWN DRASTICALLY.
Part of the problem is companies aren't offering jobs one is qualified for. Look at the "entry-level jobs" hey want 2-5 years of experience with a degree. People are applying to anything and everything because you have many on here who think beggers cannot be chossers and apply for any job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Part of the problem is companies aren't offering jobs one is qualified for. Look at the "entry-level jobs" hey want 2-5 years of experience with a degree. People are applying to anything and everything because you have many on here who think beggers cannot be chossers and apply for any job.

And Applying to any and everything leads to misery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,077,153 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
W

I left the corporate world, as division sales manager for everything west of the Mississippi River except California and Hawaii which were a separate division, for a major international corporation. I left the corporate world as I was tired of being transferred and having to move a family as I moved up. So I have been in the hiring process many, many times.

I went into the Real Estate Business in 1971 not selling homes, but into commercial, investment, large farms and ranches, multi party exchanges, consulting, and developing. I went into it as I could stop the moving for advancement, and to make much more money.

My wife's sister retired from head of HR for a large Electronic Company. She said the biggest problems in recruiting today are:

1--People apply for jobs they are not qualified for, but think they would like to do that type of work. They think because they have a degree of some type, that it should be acceptable in other fields rather than their studies prepared them for. They think that a company should just hire them and train them. Companies are not going that route as they do not have to, due to a lot of qualified applicants.

2--Lies on the resume and applications, as to their qualifications, abilities, and experience to do the job. We see posters on these threads, that tell others to do so and brag about doing it themselves.

3--Federal and state laws and regulations, plus court decisions that must be observed in hiring and staffing.

Some jobs will bring in hundreds and often over 1,000 applications. First they are sorted by a computer, then a low level staffer from HR will do a phone interview to eliminate as many as possible. Phone interviews may be conducted 2 or 3 times more by HR, etc. The HM will not get involved, until it has been brought down to a small number of apparently qualified applicants. At that point, they set up a phone interview, and then for the final usually an in person interview.

If the people that are not qualified, quit applying. If the people would not lie or overstate their qualifications. If only qualified people applied for the job, with the right qualifications and experience. THE NUMBER OF INTERVIEWS PER HIRE WOULD GO DOWN DRASTICALLY.
So what is your point? Clearly the OP is qualified for this work, or he would not have been called in for interview number 5. But regardless the OP decided to move on(a good decision) so the company can go back to interviewing unqualified applicants for this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top