U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times

Advertisements

Maybe they can't get a feel for you? How are your interviewing skills? Perhaps they are split in their decision and having you come in again is helping them get a better read on if you are a good fit. I do feel your frustration!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,624,680 times
I don't get it. All these companies now like to play the "we can fire you at anytime" card anyway. Corporate America is so terrible right now in their hiring processes it's bordering on illegal and violating the EOE. Which needs vastly modified anyway because it's outdated for this day and age and companies have figured out all the jargon to abuse the loopholes. The better system is a trial period not interviewing the same person 5 times. Ludicrous. 5 interviews is only acceptable for a really good paying high level job. If it's a job only paying around 35k then really anything over 2 interviews is asinine.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,204,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
I feel your pain, it is frustrating. Only once did I attend a ridiculous amount of interviews (6 total) for a computer programmer/analyst job, when I was in my early 20's. It was for a mega-corporation, with a corporate culture of too many leads, supervisors & managers & it was eluded to later that attempting to avoid internal toe stepping was the issue in having me interview with so many. IMHO, poor HR scheduling (they arranged each interview) was part of the problem, too. Once or twice I showed up & interviewed with another person as Manager A couldn't make it, but hey, don't worry, we'll schedule you again. Still, I needed to climb the corporate interviewing ladder from supervisor to manager to dept manager, etc., if I wanted the job.

None of the interviews were very long... some 20-30 min, but half the time I had to wait 30-min for the interviewee to just show up. I desperately needed the job & had to rent a car for each interview... didn't tell them that as I knew I'd buy a car once employed, so I gave the impression I didn't mind, but dollar signs & fire threw out of my eyes each time I left as I was beginning to wonder if there even were a job. Looking back on it, it was also depressing as it was a bit of a blow to my confidence that they didn't see I'd be a good fit for the job on interview 1 or 2 at the most. I thought I blew it on interview 5, when they told me I'd need to come in again to see 2 more managers (they said they'd try to arrange seeing both on the same day, but it might extend to interview 6 & 7)... I did my best to hide my contempt & almost screeched out loud.

On interview 6, I was so relaxed, because I no longer cared if they hired me... I had to go through the whole process as an agency was representing me... I think being so relaxed may have been to my advantage, perhaps as it gave the impression a young girl could handle the job responsibilities in their mostly male office & wasn't nervous.

Turns out, it was the best computer job with the best coworkers I'd ever had. Didn't last beyond a year as I quit to move out of state, but I'm still glad I stuck through the whole process... honestly, financially I had no choice so I'd have gone on 10 interviews & accepted an offer no matter what. I know it was at least 6-wks of interviewing & yours is 4-mos, but I suppose the only question is do you want or need the job. So, if you've nothing to lose, hang in there & go on your interview & hopefully it will be the last.

Best of luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,146,734 times
Unless the OP is applying at the NSA, This is a bit overboard. Why has the position not been filled for about 5 months?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM

6,105 posts, read 7,263,306 times
Are you meeting with the same or different, more high level people than the previous ones? Perhaps there has been a reorg between the 1st interview and now.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,104,989 times
Quote:
5 interviews is ridiculous. They should be able to make a decision way before that.
Quote:
3 interviews is ridiculous, 4 is a no, and 5 is a H#ll No.

This is a company paralyzed by indecision. Also interviews are mostly nonsense to begin with 5X nonsense is a whole lot of nonsense.
At least you are still in the running for that job. If you don't go to the 5th interview, you are guaranteeing you will no t get the job.

It is now up to you. Question is, Do you still want the job you a being considered for and go for the 5th interview? Or do you want to not go and take yourself out of consideration?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,990,198 times
I would do what the other poster said "I don't mind coming in for one more interview" and if they ask again, frankly I'd say "what information are you missing after 5 interviews? Is it something I could possibly just provide over the phone?"

If you are working I'd say "I can't continue taking off time, as much as I do want this position I'm surprised 5 interviews isn't enough."

I think the most interviews I've had for a job is 3. Phone, preliminary interview with hiring managers, interview with the rest of the group.

Funny thing was part of the reason I got the interview was the other finalist candidate apparently was staring at each female worker there so intently they felt like he was undressing them with his eyes so all the women voted for me haha!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM

434 posts, read 585,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
I think, like others have mentioned, that it shouldn't take 5 interviews to hire someone in a mid-level position. Hiring well is very critical, but you have to wonder what kind of company you would be working for when it takes more than 4 months and 5 interviews to make a hire.

My advice is that if you have other options then you should exercise them.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,285,788 times
I'd be worried that the length of time indicated they had hired someone, fired them, and then hired someone else, and possibly fired them, and conducted more interviews trying to find yet another new person (I once did interview somewhere where the person interviewing me said they had already hired and fired three people for that position in the last three months - I obviously passed on the job).

The company that put me through the wringer the most - multiple interviews, personality tests, etc. - they were the company that treated their employees like they were in a revolving door - bring 'em in, and let 'em go. They solved budget issues by firing a lot of people at the end of the year, and then doing the same thing the following year, and so on.

If you really need or want the job, then jump through their hoops. But personally, I think after five months and them asking for a fifth interview, I'd tell them I wasn't interested anymore, and that I wished them luck in their everlasting search.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 PM

43,232 posts, read 41,828,694 times
None of these responses shouting, "Ridiculous!" sound like they come from anyone in a hiring position.

The multiple-interview process has nothing to do with indecision and everything to do with the fact that it's a "hirer's market." It can cost several thousand dollars in staff time, training and supplies to hire a new employee. I can't afford to to do that every 3 months and stay profitable.

Be glad you aren't interviewing with Dave Ramsey. You'd have twice as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or