U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,214,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Don't burn a bridge especially if your not in large town i.e. - NYC, LA, San Fran..... Take it as a lesson learned....

Also your husband should use glassdoor to vent his interview experiences instead....

OP - Youve already given it 4 rounds a 5th and final wont hurt.....

We're in San Antonio and this company is in Austin. Not real worried. You have to be prepared to walk away, and if you are, go for it.

Glassdoor is the passive-aggressive way to get your feelings out there for a situation like this. My husband did it directly, and in a very professional manner, as I previously mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,333,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
5 interviews is ridiculous. They should be able to make a decision way before that.
I know of at least one great company that interviews many more times than three or four or five--think twelve to twenty, over really extended periods. Their retention is fabulous, nobody hardly ever leaves.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 PM

470 posts, read 554,487 times
Default I once interviewed three times for a low-level

secretarial/receptionist position. I always had to wait a considerable length of time past the required interview hour. While I was waiting for the, I believe, second person to come in the office on the last one, the person I had talked to before actually told me they wanted to be very, very sure, "because the last person in this position didn't work out at all!" By that time I didn't really care if I got the job or not--never heard from them at all after the third round .

Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM

389 posts, read 568,052 times
I wouldn't come in for a FIFTH interview unless they're paying SIX figures.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM

43,204 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well you would be wrong, I have been on both sides of the desk.

And I am sure others who have done hiring also find it overkill.

It is "RIDICULOUS" to have 5 interviews for a position at this level. We're not talking the CFO of major corporation, this is your average office job.
"AVERAGE" office job?

Do you know how many thousands of types of office jobs there are?

Based on his description, it sounds like they are wrapping it up. People here, though, have not worked at every company in the world and really have no concept that just because their company didn't do it that way doesn't mean ALL companies do it that way.

Step up to the plate, or sit on the bench.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM

7,594 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"AVERAGE" office job?

Based on his description, it sounds like they are wrapping it up. People here, though, have not worked at every company in the world and really have no concept that just because their company didn't do it that way doesn't mean ALL companies do it that way.

It's time for YOU to step up to the plate, stop wringing your hands, and make a decision...FINALLY.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,672,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"AVERAGE" office job?

The OP called it a "mid level position", so yes an average office job.

There is nothing solid in their post that says the 5th interview will be wrapping it up at all.

I would look at this as a red flag and what is the corporate environment.

This has been going on for nearly six months, so either there are huge egos there who may not have enough to do, or there is a problem when it comes to decision making.

If this is how they treat you in the interview process, what is it like to work there.

The OP didn't indicate whether they're currently employed or not. Now if they're out of work than yes I would say go ahead and go.

If they're currently employed and have to take time off making up excuses such as Dr. appointments, I think carefully about how I want to use my time for interviews. The time they have invested could be used to interview at other companies who will say after 2 interviews come to a decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,932,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
I think that is ridiculous. A good interview does not mean the person will do a good job. There are people who have the gift of charisma and suck at their job. You have to consider what the work environment will be like.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:55 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,757,624 times
My gawd, unless it's the Federal Government, I'd start charging them gas money.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 PM

44 posts, read 72,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
I've seen companies asking you to do a fake mock plan or presentation to take your ideas and never call you again. It shows how there is a lack of common courtesy nowadays as the employers have gotten really extreme with the unemployed.
Yeah, I hated giving them some of my better ideas with no guarantees in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or