U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,510,087 times

Advertisements

Most troubling is that this company apparently is in no hurry to hire anyone into this role. If you are working already, don't leave a job for this one!

Or maybe they are in a hurry, in which case they are even worse, because they can't make a decision for 5 months. How would you like to work in that kind of a company? They exist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,611,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
If I remember reading one of the posts here correctly, this "interviewing process" has been going on since September?

No.

That is not an "interviewing process", that is - as noted by ANOTHER post somewhere in this thread - probably the hiring of someone else, their removal, and a reattempt to hire someone else.

Maybe many someone elses.

If the OP is inclined to interview again it would be useful to find out if someone had been hired for the position since September.

Frankly, any "interviewing process", regardless the NUMBER of interviews, that takes more than a week would be really suspect in my eyes, ESPECIALLY if the interviewing personnel didn't mention there were delays due to inability to meet scheduling.

But not 3+ months.
I could see 1-3 weeks, depending on the time of year and other factors. With each passing week after that, they're either in a state of disarray or they're using you.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM

44 posts, read 72,630 times
Yes, it is rather mid-level, as in professional with a good deal of autonomy and responsibility, and some indirect supervision and interdepartmental facilitation. The pay is no more than $75K. So it's not like this is a director, VP or executive.

They've not apologized for all these interviews or anything; they're acting like it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The OP called it a "mid level position", so yes an average office job.

There is nothing solid in their post that says the 5th interview will be wrapping it up at all.

I would look at this as a red flag and what is the corporate environment.

This has been going on for nearly six months, so either there are huge egos there who may not have enough to do, or there is a problem when it comes to decision making.

If this is how they treat you in the interview process, what is it like to work there.

The OP didn't indicate whether they're currently employed or not. Now if they're out of work than yes I would say go ahead and go.

If they're currently employed and have to take time off making up excuses such as Dr. appointments, I think carefully about how I want to use my time for interviews. The time they have invested could be used to interview at other companies who will say after 2 interviews come to a decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,431,963 times
Go on the interview; you are obviously on the short (short, short list). Probably down to the last 3 candidates. This has got to be the last interview, right? (hope so)

Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,138,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Five interviews is overkill, to the extreme..
Sure, it's overkill. How extreme depends on the position.

That doesn't in any way change what I said. Want the job? Go. Don't want the job? Don't go.

Pretty simple.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,860,464 times
If they can't make a decision by the third interview, then they'll never make one. Five interviews is way too much and a waste of the candidate's time.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM

12,278 posts, read 12,520,484 times
Just go impress them with what a great person to work with you are. They want to make sure you fit, and still have some questions.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM

4,363 posts, read 3,241,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
it is rather mid-level, as in professional with a good deal of autonomy and responsibility, and some indirect supervision and interdepartmental facilitation. The pay is no more than $75K. So it's not like this is a director, VP or executive.

They've not apologized for all these interviews or anything; they're acting like it's normal.

For that type of position, five separate interviews over 4 months is overkill. Usually when companies require multiple interviews, they at least plan for you to have two or three in one day, so that you don't have to make a trip each time. They know this is a big inconvenience if you are currently employed. I find this company to be very inconsiderate of your time.

That said, I would go for the 5th time and do an outstanding interview. When they asked me if I had any questions, I would directly ask if I had the job.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 PM

672 posts, read 646,575 times
A lot of possibilities. Previous high turnover rate for the position could be one. They're over examining candidates for this reason.

My best guess (particularly with that long of a time frame), You weren't the first choice for the position.

I believe I read five months in a previous post but I just glanced over the thread.

Several scenarios could have played out in that time.

1) Their first choice rejected their offer which dragged out the process.
2) They hired their first choice candidate and it didn't work out. So they are re-interviewing applicants.
3) They were hoping for a better applicant to turn up during the process but didn't want to loss possible candidates.

Regardless after five interviews and your not made an offer, you haven't sold them yet or they believe the position that needs to be filled isn't essential enough at this point to be filled.

I haven't interviewed in years so I could be way off base. Maybe they just have a high rate of qualified candidates and you keep surviving the cuts and they aren't sold on anyone yet.

You want the position still right? So go and sell yourself to them. If you aren't made a offer afterward I would make it clear that you're interested but have other offers on the table. If they want you they should come to a decision.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,077,598 times
OP, You probably should go for the interview. Do I think 5 is overkill? Yes, but you have already invested the time and effort to see them 4 times, and all that time is wasted if you bail now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or