Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 PM

277 posts, read 442,103 times

Advertisements

So, I was fired for a dress code violation. Over the period of two years I had 3 "violations". And I really use that term loosely. First time was about a week after I started. I have a tattoo on my wrist, which I always cover with a watch. Well, my boss mentioned she could still see the top line of it, so ok, I wore a bracelet instead, and you could never see it. Didn't realize that was a a verbal warning. Second time was during our inventory a few months later. It was 5am when I got there, and after putting my stuff in the back, came out to see what our plan was and where I would be working. I hadn't put my bracelet on yet because well.. it was 5am and I wasn't even on the clock yet. Automatically written up.

Third time was back this past November. We had an after hours store meeting, and I wore jeans. We were never told not to, and the previous day my boss had shown up to a during work hours leaders meeting - in jeans. So she wrote me up for that and put me on probation. Well.. it all came to a head at the end of January. Again, inventory. Bracelet is on so no issues there. It was during the superbowl time so she had asked everyone to dress in Seahawks colors to support the team. So I wore a navy and green sweater with a navy tank top underneath - which I had worn no less than 4 times that month when she asked us to wear team colors. Never heard anything about it being a problem. She takes me outside the store and says I'm in violation because she can see the tattoo on my shoulder under it. But she would let it slide this time.

I went to the bathroom in the back right after and looked in the mirror... I could see it because I know it's there. I mentioned it to my other co workers who didn't know about it, just to get opinions, and every one of them said the same thing - They never noticed it before, and now that they were plain as day staring at it trying to find it, they could see it (and yes, my boss knew about it from one of the first times we ever chatted at work, she asked if I had any others, and how she thinks they're gross and make people seem dirty and uneducated). I didn't think anything of it after that other than - well, ok, I just won't wear that anymore, no big deal. Especially since she had been wearing Seahawks jerseys and tshirts to work when our district manager said under no circumstance are we allowed to wear anything with a logo on it.

Cut to a few days later, and she calls me in for a conference call before store hours, and I'm fired for failure to follow the dress code being that I was still on probation. I was pretty blindsided by it, as in the two years I worked there (in management) my reviews were always positive, I was always being congratulated on doing an excellent job, and given praise about being efficient and making the store run smoothly.

So now I'm in a pickle. I have an interview tomorrow and I know it's going to come up as to why I'm no longer with my previous employer. The last time I was let go was due to the company downsizing and positions being eliminated, which was no big deal. But now? I have NO clue what to say. I'm not going to lie, and I'm not going to talk bad about the job or my boss, but I don't know how to phrase it in a way that doesn't make it look like I just showed up to work numerous times looking like a slob or not caring. I did my job, I took constructive criticism and actually looked at ways to improve my skills from it. I was always working overtime and not taking lunches because she needed to leave early to take care of her kids, or go to the gym (seriously), never had an issue with last minute schedule changes. Any insight/help with how to word it so it still comes out in a positive light would certainly be helpful!

Sorry for the novel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search