Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM

458 posts, read 644,982 times

Advertisements

This is either a Game show or you have been involuntary selected as a guinea pig for practice interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 AM

58 posts, read 137,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Companies cannot afford to waste time on bad hires.

DO you want to work or not?
this is pitiful

Yeah sure they don't but they are so strict and cautious with who they hire that it ends up being bad sometimes.

All these personality tests? And assessment tests? seriously? You can't figure out a person by these.

If I was her, I would just straight up tell them:

"Hey guys I would really like to work here, I think I would be a great fit blah... etc...

but this is my 5th interview and I think this has gotten to the point of being disrespectful to me"

I swear I would tell them that. You said it is a mid tier job? Jobs do not control the world as you would think. We control the jobs. The marketplace has given an illusion that "jobs are so hard to come by" and "you better take it if you can get it"

I'm afraid not. Do not beat yourself up over a job. It is NEVER worth it.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
I love the idea of turning the tables, but the unemployment numbers show that employers have an upper hand right now. I've seen people try that, and basically they told them to screw off and find someone who is more obedient. I've seen people get fired for disagreeing with managers ideas. All they had to do was set him up to fail on purpose and create context to get rid of him.
Depends on your profession. Folks in my career and the people I have in my department really don't have to put up with any of this. There are plenty of jobs in my niche.

I can understand if you are in a low demand job you may need to be less than choosy but the economy has definitely improved in some sectors.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Just think if more people did turn the tables, I bet you would see a change in this behavior. The reason why employers behave this way is because they can and know they have the upper hand and most will not resist. Even in good economies I have seen this behavior.

The most interviews for a single job that I have had is three. And usually the third was to say hello to the CEO before I started.
The reason why they are doing this is because they can, because folks like the original poster may be allowing it.

Sorry OP, it sounds like you have a job, you may not love it, but you have some job.

I get the frustration - personally unless it was my dream job I couldn't be bothered for that many onsite visits with said company.

Now granted, if I was interviewing and had 5 separate interviews that didn't require me to visit onsite, I would probably care less, but it sounds like this would be the 5th time you had to go into the new company and interview. I wouldn't do it. Says a lot to me about the company and their inability to make a decision and be decisive.

I don't know what kind of industry or profession the OP is in, if interviews are few and far between, so my advice or statement here may have some caveats based on OP's industry, profession (or anyone else's for that matter).

Interviewing is NOT just for the employer to see if they have a match, it is for you. I turned down an additional interview WITHIN my firm and a significant promotion within my firm because the jobs/departments were not right for me. I definitely upset one hiring manager, but like I told HR, I don't like job hopping and I am pretty clear as to what kind of opportunity would be bested suited for me, and I for them.

If this 5th interview bothers you so much, politely decline with some feedback about the process. If this upsets you and this is the pervasive company culture, you may find it is not a good fit to begin with and you would be putting yourself in a worse position by continuing to pursue the opportunity.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
It happens sometimes. My sister-in-law's husband had to interview 5-6 times to get his current nursing position at a local hospital. I think he was ready to tell them to shove it right when they offered him the job.

But yes, it is excessive, and overkill...but unfortunately the bottom line is how much the OP needs/wants the job. If it is a situation where they are blatantly pumping for information, I would send an invoice for time spent if not offered the job.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 AM

333 posts, read 386,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think that is ridiculous. A good interview does not mean the person will do a good job. There are people who have the gift of charisma and suck at their job. You have to consider what the work environment will be like.
I think the problem is there is too much emphasis on interviews and personality tests determining who would be the most perfect worker. The problem with interviews nowadays is there are way too many fluff and generic questions that don't have much depth or value behind it. A good example of these questions are "Describe three adjectives about yourself" or "what do you do for fun?" These questions lead to answers that have no substance or related to the job itself.

I recently had an interview, and it was mostly questions related to the position, but what was nice is that for this SEO role he wanted me to look at the website and show my thought process and allow me to discuss different ideas on bringing more people to the website. I loved that interview as it allowed me to show what I can do, but more importantly it allowed me to show my skills and give me some wiggle room on my ideas. I've seen too many interviews structured in which you must give this answer and present it in such a way. They believe that certain questions have one absolute answer and no wiggle room for different interpretations and ideas.

I've seen some work places act that way. At a previous place I worked at they fired a guy for basically not meeting the manager eye to eye on everything. All they had to do was to set him up to fail on purpose and create context to get rid of him. I could tell the same thing was happening to me when I had an idea to change a report to show more information, but my manager said that would open up a can of worms. Basically my idea would gave us a clearer, but bleaker picture where we were at sales wise. Shortly she became difficult to work with and won't help me the projects she gave me even though I need her input. She literally said, "My schedule doesn't reflect your deadlines." Yet I needed her input on a new report I was working on, and she kept refusing or blowing me off to meet with me to give me her input despite her saying I must meet with her. I saw what was happening, and since I was unhappy with the role itself and how it wasn't what I imagined it to be, I quit by giving them my two weeks notice and stating I'm unhappy with the role and it wasn't the best fit for me. I'm smart enough to not burn bridges or make any rude or inconsiderate remarks about a person when leaving.

I wish I was working again, but I know I made the best decision for myself, and I have been having some luck with interviews. The toughest thing is a lot of jobs want that magic 2 to 3 years of experience, and I have 1 year of direct experience along with another year of applicable experience which goes over a lot of people's heads. I got closed to being a media analyst position, but they decided to pick someone who had more experience and "would require minimal training." It has been a challenge, but I've felt more dedicated and passionate pursuing a career path I wanted, and I think it's showing in my interviews. Hence why I have had quite a few interviews in the last couple of months.

FYI, I'm a young person at the age of 25. I graduated in a bachelor of science in business with an emphasis in marketing in 2011. My previous roles mostly had me engage in cold sales through direct marketing or setting up Google + business pages, but I've been focusing on why I went into marketing as I enjoy the analytical and planning aspects of the field. I enjoy SEO, especially researching, analyzing data, and implementing new ideas and plans. I also enjoy market research and analyzing consumer behavior data too. One of my recent interviews deals with that, and I believe I will be enduring a final interview in 2 weeks. I wish it was sooner, but oh well. So I've been focusing on fields with those aspects which isn't easy to get into without 3 years of experience, but I feel like that I went to school to pursue a career field I want to develop and grow in. Not be miserable for 40 years in a field I hate.

My advice is sometimes look at the company who plays around the bush and seems to waste time on bringing in people who you won't be working with involved in the interviews. Also look at the types of questions they ask and attitude they have in the interview. I've had interviews with people who seem disinterested and lacking interest, and when you read the employee reviews the culture reflects that. Especially when it comes to disconnect with managers and leadership teams. I say hang tight and listen to that gut feeling about a company at times as the amount of interviews and questions sometimes reflects the company itself.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 AM

92 posts, read 202,425 times
In academia, campus visits typically last two days. You literally eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with varius members of the search committee and are being interviewed at all times. In addition to individual interviews with deans, department chairs, search committee members, and students, depending on the type of university, you may have to make a research presentation and/or teaching demonstration. So, yeah, it can be essentially way more than five interviews over a 48-hour period of time.

The thing that gives me pause is that this has continued for five months. Academia moves slowly, but most times you will be notified about your standing within a month or two (either offered the position or given a standard rejection). Like others have said, it sounds like this company may have a hard time coordinating their leadership, management and human resources infrastructure to make a timely decision. Red flag to me.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Taken for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I've done an in-office "mock strategy plan,"...
You (and, maybe some others) are being used as free consultants.
They have no intention of hiring anyone.
Send them a bill for your services. $100/hr

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Agreed. I would rather interview the right person five times than the wrong person twice. I've seen management make that mistake once, and it was an awful work experience for at least three months for everyone in my office.
Agreed. But if the company has to drag it out for four months I am not sure I would want to work for them. This is not a high level position.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM

488 posts, read 799,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I've done an in-office "mock strategy plan," on which I was presented with a real-life scenario they are facing and had 2 hours to develop a total strategic plan. I've had a panel interview with 6 mid-level managers, a 5-hour series of round-robin interviews with higher-ups (VPs, EVPs), a one-on-one with the highest-level person, phone and e-mail follow-ups/clarifications and now this request for an additional three-hour interview with people I've talked to previously.
Yeah I would be done. This happened to my husband - interviewing over and over. We found out later that they did not have the project starting for months and were interviewing him against other candidates to assist in picking OTHER co workers too.

He told the HR gal he was DONE and withdrew and they FREAKED OUT. Tried to send him an offer but he was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search