Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM

71 posts, read 249,560 times

Advertisements

I have an upcoming panel interview on a conference call with 3 managers. I'm mostly used to one on one phone interviews. Having 3 on the line is a bit nerve wrecking as I'm not the most eloquent speaker and I also have a bit of an accent.

It's scheduled for one hour long. I'm mostly used to 30 minute calls. Any advice on preparation and how to do well on a panel interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
Do NOT be intimidated!

My first panel interview was for a scholarship. I was 17 years old. When I walked into the room I had to remember to breathe and remind myself of why I was there. The purpose of a panel interview is to have the same questions asked of you in a regular interview, except different people want to see how you respond because they will interpret them differently. It's also to see how you do under pressure.

A conference call isn't going to be the same as a group interview in person. One thing to remember is with a phone interview, you can have notes with you (just don't shuffle around papers too loudly) and you can have your computer up with some reminders and docs open (just don't click away).

The best way to prepare is to gather as many interview questions as possible and look at the responses to them. If you do a web search you will find many ways to answer various questions. As with all interviews, there is always a real reason behind the question. Have notes with your responses prepared ahead of time, as this will help you answer the questions.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
If possible, do the phone interview in an environment where you can stand up rather than sitting. You'll sound more confident. Your energy level will also be higher. And smile - it'll come through in your voice and personality.

Something I like to do with phone interviews to avoid having to shuffle papers around is print off a copy of my resume/CV in large font (as well as any other key talking points I want to cover) and tape them to the wall at eye level. (Keep this to a reasonable amount; you don't want to be taping 15 sheets of paper to the wall. You just want brief things -- maybe a short list of projects you're really proud of, or a few key points from your "elevator speech". You also might want a short list of questions to ask the interviewer.

I also recommend making sure you're comfortably but professionally dressed. There's a temptation to just do a phone interview in your PJs or in sweats (if you do the interview at home). I firmly believe that making sure you're dressed the way you'd dress if it was an in-person interview helps put you in a good frame of mind.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 AM

269 posts, read 371,039 times
I had a phone interview just last week with 3 people. It was fairly short so not too bad - all they really wanted to do was make sure that I had the technical skills that I claimed to have before calling me in for a face to face interview.

Just be yourself, and if you don't hear a question properly, ask them to repeat it.

If it's scheduled to be an hour long I would prepare for it the same way as a face to face interview. Go over the job description and make notes about how you fit the skills and experience they are looking for. Rehearse and practice and make sure you have a list of questions to ask them. Google possible questions relevant to the role.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Think of it as three separate 20 minute phone interviews. Problem solved.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Every interview I have had, and most that I have done as a manager were panels of 3-4 people. An advantage you have is being able to jot down notes and refer to the application, resume, and requirements as you go without them knowing it, as long as you have no long pauses. In most cases the interviewers are just going to take turns asking questions, so it can be treated as though it's only one interviewer, though there may be more follow-up/clarification questions. We schedule all interviews whether ion person or phone one hour apart, but hope for them to be completed in 45-50 minutes.
Be well prepared so it's not 15 minutes, but don't ramble on either.

If you are tempted to use the internet to search before answering a difficult question, make sure they don't hear the keyboard clicking!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 AM

71 posts, read 249,560 times
I have the interview tomorrow and I'm still nervous

I'm not used to an hour long interviews as I barely even filled 30 minute interview calls.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
It will be fine, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. No one has ever died from an interview as far as I know.

Listen to each question; make sure you understand it; take a second to collect your thoughts and answer. Don't feel like you have to blurt something out just to talk. I know someone told you no long pauses, but a short pause to collect yourself think and answer is fine and will seem much longer to you than it will to them.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,607 times
Definitely stand up while doing a phone interview. Be sure there are no distractions.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:05 PM

149 posts, read 349,151 times
Don't worry about your accent! Most people are used to accents, it's no big deal.

Focus on making sure that you are not speaking too fast, and that your tone is positive. Where there is no body language involved, tone is very important.

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search