U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 AM

67 posts, read 127,107 times

Advertisements

Applying for a few jobs . . . but NEVER feel like I would get an interview so I end up not even bothering. I doubt myself.

I only have a small amount of experience and undergrad degree, & I am not working in the field that I want to be in.

Should I bother? Have you ever been surprised applying for a position and been given an interview?

Last edited by freespiritbutterfly; 01-16-2014 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,895 posts, read 54,615,351 times
If you meet the minimum requirements, apply. You never know. As a hiring manager we get probably 30% applicants that do not meet the minimum requirements and reject them all because we have the other 70% that do. Back in the 90s that was not the case, sometimes we had to hire someone and do more training. When you "doubt yourself" that can be reflected in your interview and reduce your chances. Try to be more confident with your ability to do the job, research the company and make sure they know how much you want to work for them. If your doubts are such that you think you really can't do the work, don't apply.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,955,214 times
I'm surprised if I even get a phone screen let alone an interview, and thats for a job where I meet all the requirements.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM

15,038 posts, read 21,785,319 times
I once interviewed for a job that I had minimal qualifications for. I figured it would be good experience. I ended up in the top two candidates. I didn't get the job, but was shocked I had made it that far!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 546,795 times
When I first started applying for jobs out of state last year, I was surprised to get phone interviews. I thought I might just get filtered out by the application systems. Didn't turn out to be the case in many cases. Now, I get them steady enough that it's getting a bit tiring coming up short every time. Patience and tenacity...

Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,798,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post
Applying for a few jobs . . . but NEVER feel like I would get an interview so I end up not even bothering. I doubt myself.

I only have a small amount of experience and undergrad degree, & I am not working in the field that I want to be in.

Should I bother? Have you ever been surprised applying for a position and been given an interview?
The fact of the matter is you just never know what's going to happen. You might think you're terrible fit for a particular job, but some other person may think otherwise. Or, perhaps you're just the person they would be looking for. You just don't know. So keep applying. Don't give up.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM

4,137 posts, read 4,153,090 times
You have to consider a few things here.

1) Just having an interview helps prepare one for other interviews. I have applied for jobs in the past and gone for interviews just for that.

2) Being known kinda helps. How do you know that the people that interview you won't be connected with others. I have a connection with one that interviewed me in the past that moved up to a very high ranked job with another employer. This is networking 101

3) How do you know you won't be a candidate they call back if someone else isn't a good fit?

Part of this is really sales and advertising. Half the people I dealt with in retail that returned items returned them not because the product was bad but rather because they were not capable of using it. If you cannot see yourself doing xyz then it's more of a false image. Now if you turn on say QVC or HSN you'll find people selling a dozen blenders to people that already have one etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,953,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post

Yes, for the position I currently hold.

It is a good company, the world leader in its domain. I went to a career fair, after reading the "askamanager" ebook on interviewing. The recruiter and I hit it off. I looked over the positions he emailed me, one batch of about a hundred per week, released on Mondays. I applied to every one where I was interested in the position description. The second Monday, there was a series of position descriptions where the job title was a complete mystery.

I had no idea what the job actually was, but the description was interesting enough that I figured "what the hay". Over a period of two weeks, I applied to twenty positions per week, four of them in this series from the second batch of recruiter's submissions, where I had no idea about what the job actually was. I went through the usual online process, and used the recruiter's name as an inside contact. Twenty positions/week was a real stretch - each required research and absolute cover letter targeting. I would say that each cover letter took four-six hours to research and compose. I wasn't working, so nights and weekends were irrelevant.

Day two after my second batch of submissions, I got a phone call about one of the 'mystery' job titles. Then three others on the same day. Phone screens for the mystery job. In the same week I was invited in for interviews. Two of them via phone with distant managers, two in person at the regional HQ. I got a phone call with an offer five days later as I was packing my car to go on vacation (my policy is to take every single phone call, any time of day or night, if I'm on a job hunt). It took ten hours back and forth to negotiate terms. I started ten days after that, after the completion of the background check and verification of clearances. In all, three weeks and a day, from the time I submitted my first application, to the day I entered the premises.

It was only after the first phone screen that I figured out what the actual job was. It is a specialty within my core tech/GM skill set. I thought it was a marketing or general capture manager job. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

So yes, I have gotten interviews, and a resulting job, that surprised me. Nobody was more surprised than I was about the outcome. I applied based on the position description, which was generic and included higher level objectives that I thought would be fun to do. I knocked myself out on the application process because of company reputation and market position.

Has it worked out? I'm quite content, despite working my tailfeathers off. If you've got to work, it's good to be in a place where the priorities are sane - focused externally, on the customer and on delivery. I was previously at a toxic non-profit, where there were too many heads for not enough actual - umm - work, and people spent their time simmering in their own juices. NEVER doing the non-profit route again.

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or