U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
One word: gmail
What if you work there? Yahoo instead? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
In addition, I have been asked by fortune 100 companies to use my current work email for correspondence regarding an interview and not a gmail or yahoo email. I have had success doing this, I simply delete all emails after they are sent/received so no one can see them at my current company.

I think the use of a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account is a bit tacky. I do acknowledge all of your concerns I was curious if there were any hiring managers here that would discredit someone that did apply this way. Seeing as some here have claimed to disqualify candidates because they have used a work email then it seems more appropriate not to. I am just trying to see if I can make myself more marketable to future potential employers.
So many odd statements in this post. What nutjob company asked you to use your current work email? I would have run away as fast as I could. That is just a nonsensical request that has the potential of getting your fired from your current job. Honestly it is hard to believe that actually happened.

Do yourself a favor. Don't ever mention your theory of just deleting emails so no one can see them. It does not make you look good.

I would love to hear your reasoning on why using a personal email address is tacky.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,382,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What if you work there? Yahoo instead? :-)
Most Yahoo employees use Gmail and Outlook. Go figure.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Most Yahoo employees use Gmail and Outlook. Go figure.
Makes sense. Yahoo mail is not intended for business use.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM

113 posts, read 185,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
I couldn't believe it when my legal friend used her work email for organizing her reno.
Every nutcase crackhead had her work phone/email and it almost cost her her job.
So you have illegal friends?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 3,185,075 times
Quote:
I have used my previous employers email to email resumes and even setup phone interviews and also have been emailed flight itinerary for in person interviews. In addition, I have been asked by fortune 100 companies to use my current work email for correspondence regarding an interview and not a gmail or yahoo email. I have had success doing this, I simply delete all emails after they are sent/received so no one can see them at my current company.
I am surprised that a 'Fortune 100 company' would ask this. First of all they have policies about their employees using company email for personal use. Second they all use monitering systems to track incoming and outgoing email. Third Even if you delete it from your mailbox it has already been archived through the central mail system.

Oh and if you use a web browser on a work machine to access your personal email they will be monitoring that as well (If they allow connections to outside mail systems like gmail, hotmail, etc)

If a company I applied to asked me to use my work email in correspondence with them I would ask them why and tell them that I believe in keeping my personal business seperate from company business.

Quote:
I think the use of a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account is a bit tacky. I do acknowledge all of your concerns I was curious if there were any hiring managers here that would discredit someone that did apply this way. Seeing as some here have claimed to disqualify candidates because they have used a work email then it seems more appropriate not to. I am just trying to see if I can make myself more marketable to future potential employers.
As someone else mentioned I would have a non flashy email address that I would use for job searches and such. As far as being tacky I think the names people create for themselves can me tacky but I see businesses using these services also. And if you have internet through a cable provider or phone company you probably have an email connected with that also.

And someone (I think tongue in cheek) asked what if you work at Gmail. The company email addresses are in a different domain than the public ones. Not to say employees there don't use the service the same as the public but I would say most of us in the IT field keep multiple 'identities' just to seperate our proffesional persona from our (sometimes multiple) private one(s)

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,390,118 times
Quote:
I have used my previous employers email to email resumes and even setup phone interviews and also have been emailed flight itinerary for in person interviews. In addition, I have been asked by fortune 100 companies to use my current work email for correspondence regarding an interview and not a gmail or yahoo email. I have had success doing this, I simply delete all emails after they are sent/received so no one can see them at my current company.

Our company emails are backed-up and stored on the server. Don't think deleting them means they can't see them....

Old 01-17-2014, 07:55 AM

14,018 posts, read 20,330,583 times
Default You are making a huge mistake

Quote:
I have used my previous employers email... I simply delete all emails after they are sent/received so no one can see them at my current company.
Are you serious?
Those "deleted" emails are still on the servers.
They will appear during an audit.

Quote:
I think the use of a gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account is a bit tacky.
So, buy your own domain name (for $10/year) and use that.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 2,828,593 times
Personally, I like to use the alumni email address from grad school on my resume.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM

3,070 posts, read 3,185,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Personally, I like to use the alumni email address from grad school on my resume.
A good choice, especially if the school has a good reputation and an active alumni network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or