U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM
 
4,139 posts, read 4,155,794 times
Reputation: 2322

Advertisements

"he basically tried to trivialize my financial situation and tried to make inferences based off my hardships that he didn't think I could handle tough or stressful days. That was the jist of what he said."

Ok. But is he really someone that makes decisions or just a middle manager? Does his title say CEO/President or not?

I've had bad interviews and been called in for seconds before even when I thought I totally lost it. Remember if the applicant pool is low and someone doesn't do well you can get called back.

As rough as a interview can be you generally have to have some comeback or answer to everything. If you have a gap on your resume try volunteering somewhere relevant to an employer. This is all selling.
Like it or not it's really about proving that you can get things done. If it means working odd hours, working on weekends, working with the general public, traveling cross country or another country, using different languages, learning other languages etc.

You have to remember that hiring someone is an investment of time and money. In many cases what someone can say might not exactly be truthful or might be a half truth. For example long ago I worked at a job where a number were hired with me that were asked if they had office experience. The company meant MS Office. They simply meant working in an office. They knew how to type but that was it. So I had to take time to train them on the basics. I didn't at the time realize that cut, copy and paste somehow required months of training but then again they never used a computer before. Out of the three one had to be let go. Had they pressed further in the hiring process to explain what parts of ms office maybe they wouldn't have hired them and we would have been more productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM
 
3,765 posts, read 3,513,022 times
Reputation: 8938
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
I went on an interview and had two guys interview me. The one guy barely spoke and the other guy made some really rude and unprofessional comments throughout the interview.

Should I even bother writing him an email or is there anything else I can do? They didnt say no to me yet but I still think I should write the email because if this is how he treats interviews , I can only imagine how he treats the employees.
You dodged a bullet. Forget them and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
So at 22 and a job not in my industry , your opinion is that i have developed a reputation...maybe the dumbest thing Ive ever read.
Thin skinned much? I suspect they meant you would develop such a reputation if you send that email. No one remembers or cares about an applicant they spent 20 minutes with. Yeah they might have joked about you afterwards. Were your ears burning? Do you want to get them in trouble for being a-holes? Chill out and get past it. This is the real world and not everyone's nice to you here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM
 
420 posts, read 649,666 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Never burn a bridge. You don't know the circumstances. In two weeks BOTH of those people could be fired and the NEW HR person might be interested in you, UNTIL he sees the email. Nope, never a good idea. Nothing you say or do will make any difference anyway. Don't potentially hurt YOURSELF over the bad behavior of a couple of morons.

20yrsinBranson
I would have scorched that bridge, but not with a letter. I would have burned it to his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
 
62 posts, read 65,949 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You dodged a bullet. Forget them and move on.



Thin skinned much? I suspect they meant you would develop such a reputation if you send that email. No one remembers or cares about an applicant they spent 20 minutes with. Yeah they might have joked about you afterwards. Were your ears burning? Do you want to get them in trouble for being a-holes? Chill out and get past it. This is the real world and not everyone's nice to you here.
Thats great , I can comment on whoever and whenever I want. Thanks though dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,709 posts, read 4,665,353 times
Reputation: 4394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
Thats great , I can comment on whoever and whenever I want. Thanks though dad.
I think I'm beginning to understand why you didn't do well on the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM
 
62 posts, read 65,949 times
Reputation: 23
you guys are completely ridiculous..so someone insults me and I cant fire back?..and if I do it's why I didn't get a job.Think about your thought logic...did you graduate from college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM
 
333 posts, read 327,153 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As a poster suggested on another thread post your experience on Glassdoor to warn other potential interviewees. Unfortuantely poor, rude, and even abussive treatment of job applicants is becoming a pervassive problem. This will likely not be the last time you experience this at an interview.
Why has it become a persistent problem? Is it because the people interviewing you are out of touch, or haven't had to endure job searching in years?

I don't understand how there is so much emphasis on being respectable and having proper etiquette by potential employees, but for the potential employer there seems to be an exemption to those standards. It's frustrating dealing with people who have no interest in you as a candidate, but for some reason they think you are a good fit for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM
 
62 posts, read 65,949 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
Why has it become a persistent problem? Is it because the people interviewing you are out of touch, or haven't had to endure job searching in years?

I don't understand how there is so much emphasis on being respectable and having proper etiquette by potential employees, but for the potential employer there seems to be an exemption to those standards. It's frustrating dealing with people who have no interest in you as a candidate, but for some reason they think you are a good fit for the position.

I think you hit it on the spot..they can practically do whatever they want to you because what can you do about it. How many people would actually contact human resources and complain , because if they did , they would never get hired. Not only that but most of them are arrogant rich people who are out of touch with what the real world is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
 
333 posts, read 327,153 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
you guys are completely ridiculous..so someone insults me and I cant fire back?..and if I do it's why I didn't get a job.Think about your thought logic...did you graduate from college?
I think the problem isn't firing back, but the way you do it. I've pulled out of job interviews by saying I don't think it's a good fit for me to the way they handle things. Now I only do that if I really don't want to continue down that path, but if I'm indifferent then I have a tendency to do nothing and see where it goes. If I think an interview went well and I want to work for them, then I send a thank you email.

It all comes down to your wording. When I quit my old job due I didn't personally insult anybody, but stated I didn't feel comfortable in this role and I don't like the direction where leadership is going. It was professional criticism which sadly some people and business culture nowadays can't handle. It's all right as a manager to ridicule your subordinates, but if you question leadership or have a different idea from the boss, then somehow you aren't a team player and don't fit with the company's vision. That isn't every place, but I've seen it and it's ludicrous at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM
 
1,480 posts, read 2,309,914 times
Reputation: 1611
One time I was kept waiting in the lobby for 90 minutes and every time I asked the Receptionist about how much longer I would wait, she just got angry and told me to be patient. Finally I told her I had another appointment and left.

I found out the address of the President of the Company and wrote him a nice professional letter and told him that his Manager and Receptionist should have treated me better and I was hoping for some type of reply. A few days later I got a call from the President to discuss my experience and he was very nice and promised me when I came in again I would be treated with respect. So I came in again and talked to the man who had kept me waiting. He was very cold and distant and just put me through the motions and a week later I got a rejection letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top