U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM
 
595 posts, read 2,242,268 times
Reputation: 1213

Advertisements

So to answer your question, No, do not send an email. NEVER burn a bridge like that. They will read it and laugh at you. No one cares if your feelings were hurt. There are lots of people in this world who are arrogant, who are jerks, etc.

Let it go, look for a different internship and grow a MUCH thicker skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,458,041 times
Reputation: 26532
Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
you guys are completely ridiculous..so someone insults me and I cant fire back?..and if I do it's why I didn't get a job.Think about your thought logic...did you graduate from college?
As you get older you'll hopefully realize that telling people with whom you disagree that they're "ridiculous" is an immature reactive response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
... Not only that but most of them are arrogant rich people who are out of touch with what the real world is.
As you get older you'll hopefully realize that lumping people together with such glittering generalities is an immature reactive response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
another dumb response..
... That is the stupidest analogy Ive ever head. Please someone with that many degrees comment here.
See comment under first quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
... The way someone acts on a forum is no indication of how they act in real life. I'm sure if someone came up to you and called you a name or was disrespectful , would you respond like I did or walk away?And no , I dont mean fighting physically , but you would almost certainly respond verbally , correct?
Yes, it certainly is an indication of how they act in real life. There were never truer words spoken than those related to picking one's battles very carefully. In answer to your question, there are many times when I've made the conscious decision to walk away quietly and not respond at all. I've also learned that when one chooses to respond verbally, it's far far more effective to do so quietly, succinctly and eloquently. Again, something which you may learn as you get older and mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post

Let it go, look for a different internship and grow a MUCH thicker skin.
And with that I agree. I hope you find something to suit very soon and also that, as much as you've chosen to rudely react to many posters' opinions, you'll quickly find better ways to express your disagreement than labeling their opinions "ridiculous" and "stupid". Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,743 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Reputation: 11143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
I went on an interview and had two guys interview me. The one guy barely spoke and the other guy made some really rude and unprofessional comments throughout the interview.

Should I even bother writing him an email or is there anything else I can do? They didnt say no to me yet but I still think I should write the email because if this is how he treats interviews , I can only imagine how he treats the employees.
If you're very concerned (and not desperate for a job) just move on. Turn them down and forget the interview happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
 
4,129 posts, read 4,145,777 times
Reputation: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
He asked me what my biggest failure was and since I really don't believe in failure if you don't give up , which is something Ive always lived by , I simply didn't want to say that I don't fail as to come off as arrogant or perfect, so I said my biggest failure in my eyes was that i didn't get a job yet being out of college by making connections and doing internships like I should of. So at the end , he basically said to his other guy that o ya hes only been out five months , that's not bad at all , I think your feeling sorry for yourself , but he like made a face to his friend and in a dismissive way. He then said that o ya I had such a tough day yesterday and so he drew the inference that because Ive had a tough time since graduating , I couldn't handle a tough day in the office. But its not like I said I was a loser or my life was over , I just gave an honest answer that I was disappointed in not landing a job yet. It just irritates me that someone making a lot of money would say something like that when hes not in my financial situation .

Now I know a lot of people are going to say that omg that wasn't bad at all , but I guess it was just the way he said it.
So he ever said that "you couldn't handle a tough day in the office" you are assuming WAY too much here.

Let me ask you this. How many interviews have you had..period. 1? 3? 5?

How does he know your financial situation if you didn't bring it up? I can't judge wealth just by looking at someone, can you?

You really do need to answer questions, not react to them. There is a huge difference.

Plenty of people give up and succeed. Thomas Edison tried 10,000 filaments before he made the right one for the light bulb. He didn't take the same one and light it up 10k times. Doing the same thing over and expecting different results is insanity.

Answer something honest but be real. Here's things I might say

1) If you examine my record you'll find I dropped a English class that deal with plays. I found that it is my kryptonite. I am more of a facts and figures guy rather than sonnets and poems.

2) I was never that big into artwork and was asked to "Make this look "pretty"" for an assignment. Define "pretty".

3) Before taking class xyz I did not read as much as I did before but due to it I now can read xyz, abc, 123

Take the opportunity to say that you had a weakness and overcame it. It's that simple.

The best way not to be embarrassed is to not let it happen to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Spokane, WA
850 posts, read 3,148,629 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
another dumb response..I didn't send the email..which would by your logic indicate that I have good decision making skills?

to the person who commented on my college remark , it was more to suggest his lack of reasoning skills , not book smart. He made an assumption that because someone criticized me here and I made a comment back that that was the reason I didn't get the job. Thats poor reasoning skills. Also , Im the smart mouth but you say that someone has more degrees than my baby teeth . That is the stupidest analogy Ive ever head. Please someone with that many degrees comment here.
I'm beginning to see why the interview didn't go well. I hope you show more respect to your coworkers and boss than you're showing to people on here who are only trying to give you advice. You're no better than the interviewer you're complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 PM
 
70 posts, read 109,830 times
Reputation: 62
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
This is the last time I will comment on this thread because its obviously gotten way out of hand. Being out 5 months , I have a car payment and insurance , alot of student loans and various other expenses that I pay by MYSELF. Not to mention my single mother supports me , who is not rich. For him to dismissively say that 5 months is no big deal when he doesn't understand my financial situation to ME is disrespectful. And he wasnt saying it to be positive like hey , dont worry about it , its only 5 months. He was basically saying that your whining when its only been 5 months , which I wasn't whining anyways , but like I said , he doesnt understand my financial situation , so he shouldn't say something like that. He also asked me when my student loans were due , which I didn't think was his business either.

Also I know hes rich because the entry level position I applied for there was 40k plus commission. He was the director of operations of the entire place or the entire region(Its a big cooperate place) , hes not just a recruiter or human resource guy.

Regardless , this is why I didn't want to post what was said , it wasn't about that. The title clearly states for opinions on whether to write an email , not whether what he said was or was not offensive ,so that part is really irrelevant.

Once again ,I appreciate everyone who is answering the actual question being posed here.
Some posters will object just for the heck of it, and very few comments are not worth responding to, however MOST posts by posters are very valuable piece advice. You should be glad that these posters waste their valuable time responding at all or giving you REAL honest advice. I understand your frustration because a smell of rejection isn't pretty; We don't like it and we don't appreciate it, ( nobody does ) but it's part of life. As you age, you will encounter more rejection and I hope you would learn to get past it each time it happen.

Learn to treat EACH interview experience as that; experience. So next time, you would know what NOT to do or NOT to say. I would say from reading your posts that the interviewee sense that you reek of desperation, and believe me that's not your fault. At the end of the day, you need a job and the job is not waiting for you.... And you may feel increasingly losing hope because of job search failure. You need to remember, employers are not seeking desperate candidate because you simply need "money" to get by, they want "real" talents. You need to start acting like one and I know it can be very difficult but you need to manage your emotion. When I went to my final interview (after being fired from my job), I was a nervous wreck and I was unsure how to proceed with the interview without coming across as "HIRE ME, I NEED A JOB SO BAD"..... I start acting the way I was when I first interview when I still have a job and I was just looking to see what's out there.. I was confident, I smiled and I made it known to them that I will be a team player, at the end of my interview, I was told by my would be boss "You're upbeat" and I was hired on the spot. Put yourself on the employer's shoes, who would you hire? Think and take every good advice here with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top