Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 PM

206 posts, read 404,485 times

Advertisements

OK, everyone, put your links down and listen to me:

Legal or not, people will ask those questions. The real question is, How should you answer them?

First, as to "How old are you?" you can simply say, "I'm between the ages of 18 and 65." If they follow up, you can then ask, "I'd be pleased to tell you my age if you can first tell me why that's relevant."

And as to all sorts of other questions, the "relevance" thing is the way to go.

I was once asked by a very well-known, prominent head-hunter what year I graduated from college. I should have asked the "relevant' question; instead, I answered. The phone interview ended very shortly after that.

I think they sometimes ask those questions because they're ignorant, but sometime I think they ask them because they want to see if you'll have the b@ll$ to push back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I had a "phone screen" I guess you can call it that. Anyway the person asked me "How old I was?"

EDIT: I also had another company today ask me "Are you married?" AND "Do you have kids?"

Seems to be a common thing.
All three are illegal.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I could post links all night, but I have better things to do.

You'd better brush up on gov't regs.
No need to post links all night. Just post one to an actual law. Not a news piece, not an opinion, not a hiring guide, an actual law.

You can't, because you won't find one.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 AM

68 posts, read 195,328 times
Although state and federal equal opportunity laws do not clearly forbid employers from making pre-employment inquiries that relate to, or disproportionately screen out members based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, such inquiries may be used as evidence of an employer's intent to discriminate unless the questions asked can be justified by some business purpose.

Therefore, inquiries about organizations, clubs, societies, and lodges of which an applicant may be a member or any other questions, which may indicate the applicant's race, sex, national origin, disability status, age, religion, color or ancestry if answered, should generally be avoided.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
People seem to understand this topic about as much as what an employer can say during a reference call.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
People seem to understand this topic about as much as what an employer can say during a reference call.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
I know a CEO who asked in an interview why someone was so fat, lol. He wondered if he had an impulse control problem.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
[quote=Yellow Saltbox;33053147]OK, everyone, put your links down and listen to me:

Legal or not, people will ask those questions. The real question is, How should you answer them?

First, as to "How old are you?" you can simply say, "I'm between the ages of 18 and 65." If they follow up, you can then ask, "I'd be pleased to tell you my age if you can first tell me why that's relevant."

Oh yeah, you will really get the job by coming off as confrontational. I don't see the big deal about being asked your age, after all, most applications ask you to fill out your SS number and DOB.

When someone is interviewing your for a position they are looking for more than qualifications. They are trying to determine if you will be a good fit into the company and that might include things like how well you play with others. If you come across as someone who gets upset at mundane questions like how old you are, you probably will be a problem when bigger issues come up.

And people wonder why they can't find jobs today ! You can ask me any question you want, why should I care, I want the job.

Don

Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
[quote=don1945;33057996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
OK, everyone, put your links down and listen to me:

Oh yeah, you will really get the job by coming off as confrontational. I don't see the big deal about being asked your age, after all, most applications ask you to fill out your SS number and DOB.

When someone is interviewing your for a position they are looking for more than qualifications. They are trying to determine if you will be a good fit into the company and that might include things like how well you play with others. If you come across as someone who gets upset at mundane questions like how old you are, you probably will be a problem when bigger issues come up.

And people wonder why they can't find jobs today ! You can ask me any question you want, why should I care, I want the job.

Don
Given age discirminaiton that exists, asking someone's age is hardly a "mudane" question. Unless there is a bona fide occupational reason for it (like asking if you are over 18), then there is no reason to ask someone's age.

Also, most applications do not ask for someone's SSN and DOB; a minority of them do, and those are usually the low wage service sector that do. An employer should only ask these items after an offer is made, and an applicant should only give this stuff when an offer is made. ID theft is rampant now days, and an SSN and DOB are some essential items an ID theif needs. There is no reason an employer needs this stuff before an offer is made, though no law against asking.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytwingle View Post
Although state and federal equal opportunity laws do not clearly forbid employers from making pre-employment inquiries that relate to, or disproportionately screen out members based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, such inquiries may be used as evidence of an employer's intent to discriminate unless the questions asked can be justified by some business purpose.

Therefore, inquiries about organizations, clubs, societies, and lodges of which an applicant may be a member or any other questions, which may indicate the applicant's race, sex, national origin, disability status, age, religion, color or ancestry if answered, should generally be avoided.
Exactly. You can ask the questions, but it's not very smart. What's illegal is only discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search