U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM

400 posts, read 1,319,338 times

Advertisements

yes its illegal. post your experience on glassdoor or indeed to warn others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM

3,094 posts, read 3,196,861 times
'Never blame on malice what simple incompentcy will explain'

The OP said it sounded like a fairly young interviewer. Maybe he/she didn't know any better and was just trying to get a feel of what the person was like to see if he/she would 'fit in'

For years it was very hard to figure out my age from my resume because I took some nontraditional paths. I would be estimated at anywhre from 5 years younger to 15 years older. Now I'm at the point it doesn't really matter.

Same thing with questions about hobbies, kids, marital status. Often the interviewer is looking for things to sell you on as to why they would be a good fit for you. True this isn't as common these days given the market but for companies looking for good talent it still is. Half the time I was interviewing for jobs it was really to see if I thought the position was right for ME. (The other half the time it was to convince them that I was right for them, the best interviews were when we realized it was great for both of us)

If it bothers you than give some vague noncommital answer and if they press ask why it is important. And be prepared to live with the consequences

Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,780,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

There are MANY types of illegal questions interviewers are NOT allowed to ask.

Prohibited Practices
This says it's illegal to DISCRIMINATE against someone 40 or older. No where does it say you can't ask someone their age in an interview. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. They WILL find out your age if you're hired and complete your HR paperwork. It's not going to be some big secret.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

2,839 posts, read 4,996,176 times
I guess on the flipside if you lie and say you are 29 when you are really 35, can they fire you later for being older IF age ISN'T a factor in the job?

"no you misheard me, I said 35" lol.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

There are MANY types of illegal questions interviewers are NOT allowed to ask.

Prohibited Practices
According to the site you just referenced, there is one and only one illegal question.

"Employers are explicitly prohibited from making pre-employment inquiries about disability.

Although state and federal equal opportunity laws do not clearly forbid employers from making pre-employment inquiries that relate to, or disproportionately screen out members based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, such inquiries may be used as evidence of an employer's intent to discriminate unless the questions asked can be justified by some business purpose."

Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
yes its illegal. post your experience on glassdoor or indeed to warn others
Persistence in perpetuating a myth and misinformation indicates that you haven't bothered to read the thread before responding ...

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

389 posts, read 568,800 times
If I were middle-aged or elderly, scared of age discrimination, and an interviewer asked me how old I was, I'd look them square in the eye, say 25, and then silently challenge them to make further comment.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM

389 posts, read 568,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I had a "phone screen" I guess you can call it that. Anyway the person asked me "How old I was?"

EDIT: I also had another company today ask me "Are you married?" AND "Do you have kids?"

Seems to be a common thing.
Like I stated in another thread, they can choose to ask these questions, but if they don't end up hiring you, they could find themselves in a real Moderator cut: snip. How do they know if/when an applicant has a small recorder with them, or is recording a phone call, etc, which in most states as long as one party knows of the recorder's existence, is completely legal? In which case the burden of proof would fall on their shoulders to prove the decision not to hire was based on a legal reason? In other words, interviewers, don't borrow trouble for yourself by asking questions you might REALLY not like the answer to ("Yes, I'm married to a wonderful man, and we have ten precious children", for instance).

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-17-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,396,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No, you are wrong. You can ask specific questions about ability to perform the work, general questions, and questions completely unrelated to the work at all. You can ask about their opinions on the weather, what kp kind of car they drive, and do a personality test if you desire. I am within my rights to discriminate based upon many factors, just not the protected classes.

If I decide that I never want to hire anybody who likes the color blue, I can ask what your favorite color is during the interview. If you tell me it's blue, and I decide not to hire you because of that one answer, I can do so.
Fine, ask any question pertaining to protected classes. As long as it has nothing to do with his/her ability to perform the job - they can lie about it.

So if you want to play that game, then understand that it is a 2 way street. A smart applicant can and will offer the answers necessary to get the job. For example, a young woman with a wedding ring might offer that she is the primary breadwinner and has no intention of having children.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,396,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
If I were middle-aged or elderly, scared of age discrimination, and an interviewer asked me how old I was, I'd look them square in the eye, say 25, and then silently challenge them to make further comment.

Exactly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or