U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
 
232 posts, read 373,848 times
Reputation: 119

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I had a "phone screen" I guess you can call it that. Anyway the person asked me "How old I was?"

EDIT: I also had another company today ask me "Are you married?" AND "Do you have kids?"

Seems to be a common thing.
They shouldn't ask those questions but if you're faced with this in the future simply respond by saying, "My age & family life are not issues for my performance in this job."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

There are MANY types of illegal questions interviewers are NOT allowed to ask.

Prohibited Practices
No, actually, you don't know what you're talking about. Read your own material and comprehend it. Nothing in there remotely suggests it is illegal to ask someone their age, religion, or sexual preference. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. It may give the appearance of illegal discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,214,854 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, actually, you don't know what you're talking about. Read your own material and comprehend it. Nothing in there remotely suggests it is illegal to ask someone their age, religion, or sexual preference. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. It may give the appearance of illegal discrimination.
Everyone, including the person above, who is saying it is legal to ask the questions that were asked of the OP are grossly incorrect. The link below is for people in the HR industry, as a "cheat sheet" of sorts, to get around the questions that are illegal.

30 Interview Questions You Can't Ask and 30 Sneaky, Legal Alternatives to Get the Same Info - HR World

What you can't ask: Do you have or plan to have children?

Clearly, the concern here is that family obligations will get in the way of work hours. Instead of asking about or making assumptions on family situations, get to the root of the issue by asking directly about the candidate's availability.

What to ask instead: Are you available to work overtime on occasion? Can you travel?

What you can't ask: Do you have kids?

This one is for positions in which the candidate may work with children. The added experience of children at home may be a bonus for you, but it's not an employer's place to ask about this. Rather, inquire about the candidate's experience, and they may volunteer this information to you anyway.

What to ask instead: What is your experience with "x" age group?

What you can't ask: How old are you?

While it seems like a simple question, it's in fact quite loaded. Knowledge of an applicant's age can set you up for discrimination troubles down the road. To be safe, just ensure that the candidate is legally old enough to work for your firm.

What to ask instead: Are you over the age of 18?




Also:

Illegal Interview Questions


It IS illegal. No matter how you slice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Everyone, including the person above, who is saying it is legal to ask the questions that were asked of the OP are grossly incorrect. The link below is for people in the HR industry, as a "cheat sheet" of sorts, to get around the questions that are illegal.

30 Interview Questions You Can't Ask and 30 Sneaky, Legal Alternatives to Get the Same Info - HR World



Also:

Illegal Interview Questions


It IS illegal. No matter how you slice it.
Where in the article you referenced does it say it was illegal to ask?

It does say: "In every job interview, the goal is to obtain important information while building a friendly rapport with the candidate. But some questions are just a little too friendly. Protect yourself and your company from legal trouble and embarassment by avoiding the wrong questions while still getting to the root of the concern behind the question. Read on for 30 ways to turn litigious questions into harmless, legal alternatives."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,387,722 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It IS illegal. No matter how you slice it.
Please be kind enough to provide a link to applicable Federal statutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
 
2,890 posts, read 5,389,408 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Everyone, including the person above, who is saying it is legal to ask the questions that were asked of the OP are grossly incorrect. The link below is for people in the HR industry, as a "cheat sheet" of sorts, to get around the questions that are illegal.

30 Interview Questions You Can't Ask and 30 Sneaky, Legal Alternatives to Get the Same Info - HR World
This isn't a cheat sheet at all. This assists the hiring party in assuring that a person is in a position to perform the work at hand.

However, you better ask all the candidates the same questions - else you can still find yourself in litigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Where in the article you referenced does it say it was illegal to ask?

It does say: "In every job interview, the goal is to obtain important information while building a friendly rapport with the candidate. But some questions are just a little too friendly. Protect yourself and your company from legal trouble and embarassment by avoiding the wrong questions while still getting to the root of the concern behind the question. Read on for 30 ways to turn litigious questions into harmless, legal alternatives."
Nowhere, because it isn't.

It's still a bad idea to ask the question, of course, as they can be perceived as being discriminatory and there's easier ways of getting the same information to practice illegal discrimination with that don't appear as discriminatory on their face. Of course, it's every bit as illegal to use any of these "harmless, legal alternatives" as what's actually illegal is discrimination based on protected class, not asking if someone switch hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
Reputation: 16146
Proving something is illegal should be very easy. Simply reference the law making it illegal. That doesn't mean reference an article. Not surprisingly no one can do that.

I can't for the life of me figure out where this refusal to accept the fact that asking these questions is not illegal comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Mt. Lebanon
1,844 posts, read 1,942,900 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I had a "phone screen" I guess you can call it that. Anyway the person asked me "How old I was?"

EDIT: I also had another company today ask me "Are you married?" AND "Do you have kids?"

Seems to be a common thing.
Yes .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Reputation: 15528
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out where this refusal to accept the fact that asking these questions is not illegal comes from.
It is a bit weird, isn't it? I think people want it to be illegal and simply repeat what they want to be true, despite the reality, linked early in the thread.

Other people probably don't understand the difference between illegal, and unwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top