U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM

8,788 posts, read 13,274,979 times

Advertisements

What I think everyone needs to realize is head shrinking candidates is futile, useless, and actually counterproductive. There are tons of poor workers that are great phonies and tons of great workers that don't deal with getting jerked around with HR quackery well. The best you can do is pick the most qualified candidate, interview them to ensure the can "behave" in a professional manner, and realize you are going to make a bad hire now and then and there is no way to prevent it. That is the nature of people, they are unpredictable. People date for years, marry, and a few years later they are glaring at each other across the courtroom wanting a divorce.

Picking the most qualified candidate that can behave reasonably is the best you can do. Relying on HR quackery actually reduces the chances of a good hire as it selects for phonies.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-19-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,635,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Because the questions asked are too nitpicky?
I understand that employers want the best candidate but some of them go way too far with standards.
I agree that some of the questions are ridiculous, I also agree that the standards are out of hand. Like I posted earlier a lot of companies have gotten tired of the bad hires and are now putting standards in place that are forcing people to jump through crazy hoops, as their HR departments and HM are not experienced enough to make the right choices.

Last edited by jwiley; 01-19-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I agree that some of the questions are ridiculous, I also agree that the standards are out of hand. Like I posted earlier a lot of companies have gotten tired of the bad hires and are now putting standards in place that are forcing people to jump through crazy hoops, as their HR departments and HM are experienced enough to make the right choices.
Crazy hoops are also counterproductive as the most in demand candidates are going to bail on the process leaving you just the really desperate ones. I've bailed on several applications after the company let HR off their leash and it got out of control with HR people jerking me around with writing assignments long psyche tests, multiple day long interviews.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 AM

558 posts, read 870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I am sorry as this may come off as a rant, as I have been interviewing people for the last 2 weeks, and I am frustrated.

Over the last few years I have been interviewing and hiring people for jobs in mortgage banking and accounting, and almost every set of interviews I have people that I interview that just do not seem to get it. Now I am not talking about showing up a few minutes early or dressing nicely, but instead I am talking about attitudes and ways some approach interviews.

Things I wish people would understand when interviewing.

While your college education or background can be very important, and you may be able to bring a new approach to the way things are done, it is never a good idea to tell the interviewer that the way they do things is out of date and have to be changed. Sorry but sometimes there are reasons that things are done certain ways, things are done different in the real world and even in different areas than others simply due to client expectations or business climate.

While the job title may lead you to believe you understand exactly what the job is, read the job description and take the time to listen to the interviewer to figure out if it is a job you want and can do. Job titles are different between companies and while the basic job maybe the same, the overall duties can and do range pretty drastically.

Understand that most of us do not like to interview a bunch of people, we do not have the want or time to spend getting to know people to find what we hope will be a good employee. Just like you we find it a chore, and most of us have been through the process numerous times on both sides and do not like being the one to say no. We would love if the 1st applicant we got was the perfect fit, but it does not work that way, instead we have to spend way to many hours sorting through everything to ensure we make the right hire.

Personality is important, like it or not if we do not like you or do not believe what you are telling us you will not get the job. That being said do not be fake, be yourself, usually most of us have been interviewing long enough that we can tell when you are fake, and that means no job anyways.

Be careful how you treat people, in mortgages often the receptionist also acts as a personal assistant to the managers when they need help. The person calling you could be the manager, it could be the owner, it could be the receptionist, it could be an HR rep, you do not know, but if you treat that person badly or have an attitude, than your job prospects could take a serious hit.

Be clear to yourself and to your interviewers on what you are looking for, saying I just need a job does not cut it. Saying it will work for now is a terrible idea, and even worse saying that you parents say you need a job right now is even worse. Saying you just want to get into that career field is also not a great idea. Even if the job is an entry level job, we want to believe that you will be happy coming in and working hard.

Understand even if you do know everything we do not believe that you know everything, otherwise why would you be looking for a job, this is my biggest pet peeve. Believe it or not that to me is a red flag, which indicates a person who does not think they have anything to learn, or even worse someone who really does know everything they need to but has a bad attitude that caused them to be looking for a job today. I do not know everything there is to know about my job, nobody does, but I have hired and will usually prefer to hire those that are not even fully qualified but can show they understand their weaknesses and convince me that they will put in the work to fix those weaknesses.

Maybe even others in a hiring position can add to this, as I wish people would stop reading articles on the internet and go back to learning basic interview skills. Personally it makes me laugh when I see someone that is sitting out in the parking lot because they are 12 minutes early and the experts tell them to only be 10 minutes early, it also drives me crazy when I can pick up that someone has read too many of those articles.
And you need to understand that many people interviewing are very nervous. Some have been out of work and are on the edge of financial ruin, so they can easily get jumbled up at an interview. You sound very demanding, not that that's bad, I don't mean it as an insult. But maybe a bit more patience and understanding on your part would ease your frustrations.
And laughing at the person in the parking lot preparing for an interview is cold. There's probably no pleasing you. If the guy was only a few minutes early that wouldn't have been early enough, and so on.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM

7,368 posts, read 11,539,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What I think everyone needs to realize is head shrinking candidates is futile, useless, and actually counterproductive. There are tons of poor workers that are great phonies and tons of great workers that don't deal with getting jerked around with HR quackery well. The best you can do is pick the most qualified candidate, interview them to ensure the can "behave" in a professional manner, and realize you are going to make a bad hire now and there is no way to prevent it. That is the nature of people, they are unpredictable. People date for years, marry, and a few years later they are glaring at each other across the courtroom wanting a divorce.

Picking the most qualified candidate that can behave reasonably is the best you can do. Relying on HR quackery actually reduces the chances of a good hire as it selects for phonies.
Absolutely X100.

And I think the best interviewers understand this. They also understand that references could be mostly garbage. That years spent at a company with productive bullet points could in reality be a very easy workplace.

Though I have not interviewed somebody in a while, I look for people who can communicate effectively and seem like they would be easy to get along with. Of course, it depends on what job you are hiring for.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
And laughing at the person in the parking lot preparing for an interview is cold.
Lighten up! The OP didn't outwardly laugh or share a giggle around the water cooler with anyone else about the applicant sitting out in the lot - he chuckled inwardly, to himself and himself alone. It's a very minor pet peeve of his which he happened to share on an open forum and immediately got jumped on for daring to do so.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,476,826 times
What happens when the interviewer or the HR person has to look for another job. How does all those interviewing skills work out for them?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What happens when the interviewer or the HR person has to look for another job. How does all those interviewing skills work out for them?
Hopefully they get a taste of the same excrement they've been serving up to others.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:18 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

I can only speak from personal experience.

I worked in HR and the staffing industry for about 12 years total. Then I moved and needed to find another job, and I was frankly tired of the staffing/recruiting industry so I wanted a change.

I was able to look back on all the literally THOUSANDS of interviews I'd performed and I put those experiences to good use. I interviewed with numerous companies and at the end of that experience, I was able to pick from several job offers in two or three different fields.

Here are a few basic interview pointers:

1. Dress appropriately and pay close attention to personal hygiene and neatness. I know this sounds like common sense advice, but you'd be surprised at what some people I've interviewed have worn to an interview - for instance, it's not appropriate to wear a denim jacket, no matter how "cute," to an interview with a bank. Women, don't dress like a hooker for a job interview. Tight clothes and stiletto heels are no-nos. Likewise, jeans just are basically never appropriate for men or women. Guys - if you're interviewing for a driver position, don't wear a suit, and if you're interviewing for an accounting position, don't wear jeans or a western style shirt.

2. Of course, be on time. Don't carry a bunch of stuff into an interview - a big purse, large notebooks, tablets, cell phones, etc. And speaking of phones - PUT YOUR DANG PHONE COMPLETELY AWAY. Put it on silent. It's ok to bring one or two of the above in, just not all of those items, by the way. The neater and more streamlined the better - you give an aura of being organized and neat.

3. Research the company. Research the type of position you're applying for, even if it's entry level. Research the lingo of the industry, the philosophy of the company, etc. If you don't take fifteen minutes to do this, you really will come across as just looking for "any" job. You have to have more enthusiasm for the industry, the company, the position other than "I need a job so I'll take anything." If you don't have enough initiative to do a little research on the front end, this is a bad sign for the future. Employers want to hire people who show initiative.

4. When you do your research, questions will come to mind. Don't be afraid to ask some questions - and NOT questions about pay, benefits, etc (save that for when you get a job offer). Asking intelligent questions does several things - first of all, it shows the interviewer that you have an inquisitive, active mind and this implies that you are willing to look for ways to learn, grow, improve your own skills, etc. It shows the interviewer that you have indeed taken the initiative to research the company. It also turns the tables - it takes the pressure of answering a bunch of questions OFF of you (whew!). It encourages two way conversation. And it fosters respect for you as a person. Just be careful about what sort of questions you ask, of course - don't be confrontational or challenging, just show interest. "I noticed that the company has locations throughout the southeast - are there plans to expand into other regions as well?" That sort of thing. I know - you may be afraid they'll shoot back with, "Why do you ask?" They probably won't - but have an answer anyway - "I am just trying to get an idea of the goals of the company for future growth and expansion." That sort of thing.

5. SMILE. Look your interviewer in the eye directly. Master a confident handshake. Conquer the impulse to fidget.

6. Answer questions directly and honestly. Do NOT give vague answers (I can't believe how many books and websites encourage this). You want the job to be a two way fit - you may as well answer honestly on the front end. This doesn't mean open your raincoat and flash everyone with every sort of personal information. If you were fired from your last position, DO NOT badmouth the former employer. Take some personal responsibility, say what you learned from your past experience. This honesty will often smooth over the negativity of the former firing or layoff.

7. BE ENTHUSIASTIC. Yes, personality DOES count - it's NOT enough just to be punctual and do your job in most scenarios. We're not robots and most companies are not looking for robots. If a hiring manager has two applicants with similar backgrounds, he or she is most likely to hire the person who is the most enthusiastic about the job possibilities. I don't mean be fake. I mean show some actual interest and warmth about the job, about the company, the future possibilities, etc.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Interviewing is a game, simple as that. It is your job to figure out what they are looking for, and then be that person for 15 minutes. If you have an uncle that works there already, well then that is even better. Your education, work ethic and intelligence have little to do with it. The thing that really matters is can you make that person think you are harder working, smarter and more capable. That matters far more than actual ability. If you get the job it will still matter more.
Ever wonder why bosses often are the least productive people around? How so many incompetent people get positions of leadership?? This is because they know how to make people think they are something special when really they are not. The ability to manipulate others is the most important job skill one can have for success. Those who tell children its not important to be popular in school are not being honest with them. Successful people in life learn the social manipulation skills needed for success in the modern workplace by being popular in school. Learning to impress people, manipulate others to make them do what you want, these are the things needed for success in the workplace. Popular children know how to do this at a young age, and they are experts at it when they grow up. They are the ones who get the job, get the promotion etc. A great many successful people are actually diagnosable narcissists.
I know this post will be attacked as negative, and reflective of my poor attitude. However if you really think about it you'll find what I said is often true. It is not always true, but its true more than its not. Self centered, well connected people, and those with aggressive social manipulation skills dominate the professional level job market. The saying "nice guys finish last" is not around for nothing, it is and has been true for a very long time. Interviews are part of this game, you have to outwit the competition and outwit the interviewer if you are to get the job. You have to project the attitude they are looking for, project confidence etc. Does attitude and confidence affect job performance???? Not in my opinion. Jobs get done through an employees work ethic, ability and persistence, but yet things like attitude and confidence are more valued by hiring managers and in promotion situations. The job seeker needs to keep this in mind. If you cannot be the aggressive go getter who is willing to do almost anything to get the job then you are wasting your time playing a game you cannot win. Find a lesser job with less demands upon your personality. Im not defending the way things are, in fact it disgusts me. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search