Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Actually I wasn't at the beginning of my career. In my previous field, I spent well over 5 years in it and then decided to make a change. The fact I wanted to make a change was a "red flag." I've been asking so many times why I'm not going to graduate school. Honestly if I wanted to go to graduate school wouldn't I already be there? The longest I've been with an employer was 4 years and if it hadn't been for the budget cuts after 2008, I would have made a longer career with them.
God forbid you should try and transition to something you enjoy more or is a better fit for you or god forbid you should try and make a move to more rewarding career.

Apparently employers want to see that you've been with the same company for 15 years doing the same specific job description that they put forward and that you love it and dream about it day and night.

See what happens when those guys in management win the lottery and see how long they stay at those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Do not take interviewing advice from your teachers/professors
And ironically I've learned from experience (from both ends of it) it applies to interviewing for teacher/professor jobs too LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
God forbid you should try and transition to something you enjoy more or is a better fit for you or god forbid you should try and make a move to more rewarding career.

Apparently employers want to see that you've been with the same company for 15 years doing the same specific job description that they put forward and that you love it and dream about it day and night.

See what happens when those guys in management win the lottery and see how long they stay at those jobs.
Ironically I (also learned the hard way, which is what led to a career change in the education field) that being 15 years at the same job is often a red flag too, like "why didn't you change for a better job, etc. all that time?". Often employers feel someone like that was too "sheltered" and will have a lot of flaws working at a new firm/job.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Just to add two or three cents, I can understand those on both sides of the fence. I do have a problem with the many posters who continuously, unabatedly and, regardless of context, totally denigrate HR people in a mass generalization. I've been an employee and an employer, and both have known and do know many dedicated HR professionals who simply don't fit that glittering generality.

I was born way back in the day, started off working as an entry level civil servant for a government office in the UK. I was only 16.5 years old and had a lot to learn - which I did. I sucked up every lick of information like a sponge, taught myself how to type, how to properly file (this was WAY before the computer age). After a year and for the next several years I worked temp jobs through an agency to gain more knowledge and probably between the ages of 18 and 22 I'd gradually amassed more basic knowledge to the point where I could - and did - become a secretary and not a clerk.

Working has always had its ups and downs whether as an employee or an employer (I ended up having owned and operated two businesses and closed the second one two years ago).

I'm not "out of touch" by any stretch but the common theme which runs through this forum is disappointing in so many ways where so many employees, and those currently unemployed, continually bleat about how hard done by they are by HR, bosses, the corporate entity and all else - all tarred with the same sloppy brush. If I were a newbie looking for a job today and relied on the comments thrown out on this forum by so many disgruntled employees, I'd likely go hide in a darned hole and just give up.

There's nothing magic about it. You work to support yourself like everyone else has through the ages. You deal with the ups and downs and make your own decisions. You win and you lose but, once you become an adult, you have to learn to think for yourself. For some that seems to be a bit of an effort.

There's no question that in many arenas the (particularly corporate) hiring process has become anally fixated on probing and testing to the point of being totally ridiculous, unproductive and time-wasting both on the part of the company and the applicants. But they are not the majority - not that you'd think so reading this forum.

i await the inevitably descending wrath but it would be SO nice not to receive it!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
I won't give you wrath in spite of my numerous vexations with HR. I'll repeat what I've said before-- I think clarity would be appreciated from everyone. If an entry level job posting REALLY wants someone with more experience, they need to say that. If a hiring manager wants someone who is trainable, has a good attitude and likes responsibility, say that. The interview process should weed out the people who don't qualify. It's frustrating for everyone when the applicant believes they are qualified, goes to interview and later finds out they aren't qualified because the interviewer was really looking for something else.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
In all due respects to the OP

Showing up early is not a bad thing. In many other areas traffic can be hard to anticipate so if someone is early so what?

Interviews can be interesting that's for sure. At one point I had one for a city council. So 14 of the 15 members there all at once. Kinda reminded me of this
Prime Minister's Questions: 17 July 2013 - YouTube

Thankfully I held my own. I still keep in touch with a few of them.

As for not going to interviews if you don't want the job frankly the experience helps. Obviously if you want to know why there are some that have bad skills it's because they haven't had interview experience! The only thing that might become close to that might be watching Shark Tank or how people get grilled on American Idol.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,663 times
Give me a damn break. I am 40 years old and have been unemployed for 2 years; I have worked since I was fifteen and this is the ONLY time I have EVER been unable to obtain employment. I have everything going for me and amazing references. I use all the latest and 'greatest' resume BS. The job market is **** and the people hiring are looking for people who meet every single qualification. That is absolutely absurd. So, you pass up someone who is quick, intelligent, self-directed, knowledgeable, experienced, energetic, and educated with a work ethic that is beyond reproach. If I don't know a stupid computer program or some other minute aspect you are going to reject me for not meeting your EXACT job description? Or perhaps I don't know where they plan to be in five years! You think anyone you WANT to "grow" your business would want to do rote AP/AR work for the long-term? As someone in HR, you should be well aware that the days of one career in one company are long gone! An average of six careers in a lifetime... I want to gain skills and add value while I am in a position, and yes, I need a freaking job. Your tactic is an awesome way to have an unfilled position for ages, which is a burden on you and other employees. It serves you right to be in your predicament. I can learn a computer program in a week. In fact, I taught myself Quickbooks; I learned Custom Builder's Solutions in a week and a half and was running circles around the manager. Hard skills are easy if you already one has the aptitude, determination, and soft skills.
I know exactly what an accounting assistant does, because I worked as one 12 years ago - I have had other experience in AP since - yet, the salaries are less than I was making 12 years ago! At this point, I suppose I am overqualified. Well, guess what, I could come in and get the damn job done, but grow your business? Give me a break; you're damn straight I just need a job, regardless, I take pride in my work, and I will excel and ANY job.

It is simply asinine what people hiring are expecting. I can do anything I decide to do.
Seeing that you are in accounting, perhaps you should take some advice from the CEO at Deloitte:

Quote:
Instead of recruiting skill sets, Deloitte recommends organizations would be better served by recruiting passionate people and fostering passion in existing workers. This will help enterprises effectively respond to the diverse challenges of a globalized marketplace. Workers who demonstrate passion are more committed to their employers and are more likely to see new opportunities for success. In fact, 79 percent of workers who demonstrate the most robust passion say they already work for their "dream" organization – even if they are not currently in their dream work role.

Instead of recruiting for particular skill sets, concludes Deloitte, which typically become outdated within five years, organizations should recruit passionate people and inspire passion in their current [URL="http://www.recruiter.com/workforce.html"]workforce[/URL]. Passionate workers tend to learn new skills and improve performance at a rapid pace, and outdated organizational practices and structures are to blame for the lack of passionate “explorers.†To the contrary, Deloitte has found that many organizations actually stifle passion through outmoded practices

Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
The big thing now is "culture" and do you fit in? But honestly, as an interviewer, you have to remember, we the interviewees are also deciding if WE want to WORK for YOU!!! There are jobs I have passed up on because of the culture of the office (okay, passed up wasn't the right words, maybe more like, please don't be interested in me, cuz I'll work there, but I don't want to).

And I'm sorry, but being early, is being early. I have been 30+ mins early to interviews before. Why? Because I don't know what traffic is going to be like and being early is better than being late, right? So, I'll sit out in the car, going over materials, etc. And yeah, I don't walk in until about 10 mins prior to my appt. NOT because someone told me, but because walking in 30 mins early is a bit much. Walking in at 5-10 is good. Walking in right on time, seems pushing it. Jeez. Let's not laugh at someone cuz they're early and in the parking lot. How rude can you be? I'd much rather see someone sitting out there until 10 mins till, than someone running in at 10 past.

I can see how some people are just bad at interviewing, just like there are people bad at interacting with others in general. I get that you've seen a lot of bad candidates. Maybe you should redo your interviewing process so you can get a better feel for them before they get to your office. I know nowadays, phone screenings seem to be the big thing. From my understanding from HR people that I've talked to, you should be able to get a feel for the person in that time and know if you want them for an in-person interview or not.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
I don't understand why being early is such a big deal.

I do agree on the over emphasis on culture. I think companies want to make sure people "fit in" and you can "work in a team." IMO part of employment is the willingness to work in a team so that seems rather non-brainer. Now it seems the workplaces that emphasize culture and fitting in want to have people be able to chill out after work at the bar and be buddies. I'm not interested in working to be buddies. That's why I have a life outside of work.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
The big thing now is "culture" and do you fit in?
A lot of that is a euphemism for shallowness and the pervassive idea among some that work is a social club where we hang out and talk sports or whatever all day and our job duties come second. I don't mind a little conversation but I go to work to work not gossip and blabber all day.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Maybe I should not have said I laugh, as I do not out and out laugh, and no I do not sit and watch the parking lot, it just so happens I have a nice window overlooking my parking lot, and often this time of year as I am waiting for the next interview I sit and stare out at the mountains behind the parking lot as I really do not have much to do that only takes a few minutes. However the stupid advice I often read about job searching is what makes me laugh, often their rules are a joke that very few HM actually look at.

as for the rest if you think they are contrived, I will gladly let you come do my next round of interviews for entry level positions, as I would gladly avoid them if I could get away with it.
So, instead of telling us what you dislike, why not tell us job seekers what you do like. Why not make this positive instead of ranting about the poor candidates you obviously choose to interview?

Tell us what HR likes to see....so of course, we can ignore it because we read it, not only on the internet, but on CD for crying out loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search