U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,683 posts, read 3,080,492 times
Reputation: 3137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can only speak from personal experience.

I worked in HR and the staffing industry for about 12 years total. Then I moved and needed to find another job, and I was frankly tired of the staffing/recruiting industry so I wanted a change.

I was able to look back on all the literally THOUSANDS of interviews I'd performed and I put those experiences to good use. I interviewed with numerous companies and at the end of that experience, I was able to pick from several job offers in two or three different fields.

Here are a few basic interview pointers:
To me, this is way more informative than the original post. Especially for those that haven't interviewed for awhile, or this is their first time.

Thanks for posting some good positive information. Granted, according to the OP though, we shouldn't take advice for interviewing from the internet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,683 posts, read 3,080,492 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I don't understand why being early is such a big deal.

I do agree on the over emphasis on culture. I think companies want to make sure people "fit in" and you can "work in a team." IMO part of employment is the willingness to work in a team so that seems rather non-brainer. Now it seems the workplaces that emphasize culture and fitting in want to have people be able to chill out after work at the bar and be buddies. I'm not interested in working to be buddies. That's why I have a life outside of work.
I think the problem comes about with clashing personalities on said team. BTDT. It is not fun at all. But even if you fit in with the culture, you may still end up clashing with one person within your department or team.

But what I get a crack up about is when I went for my last interview via a temp agency, the temp agency said they're looking for someone extroverted. Who'll get out there, introduced themselves to people, etc. Be the face of the department, not have issues talking to people, etc. Now, granted they wanted "outgoing" not really "extroverted".

But the best part of it all? I am sooooooooooooooooo introverted it's not funny (and shy). But at work, because of my position, I know I have to be "outgoing". So, I went in there with a positive attitude, outgoing, fun. I got the job, I fit in great. I have made it a point to introduce myself to key players (including my boss's boss since I sit outside of her office). I'm not outgoing by any means, but I can be at work.

So yeah, I lied to get the job. But I live up to my lie. Will they ever know the difference, probably not. Would I fit in with a culture completely opposite of theirs? Probably. I guess I just did a bad thing and lied and wasn't "myself". But alas, with my position I'm a chameleon anyways, I become what they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 PM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,416,307 times
Reputation: 1579
It's work-- there will ALWAYS be that person who comes along and the mesh of the team or office gets turned on its head. It always happens and of course, you always feel like you're the one who gets the brunt of it.

My training always taught me to check my personality at the door and work. Isn't that part of professionalism? Sure, you might not agree with someone's political views, their opinions on simple things, and heck they could annoy you if you're in the same wrong but at the end of the day there's a job to be done.

I once had a job where I became what they needed, only to receive feedback that I was being too fake or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,324,987 times
Reputation: 1410
you are mad because people are 12 minutes early?

pleeezeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 AM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,416,307 times
Reputation: 1579
If you live in a colder climate and have an interview, you sure better be there at least 20 minutes early. Ten minutes to warm up your hands before shaking the interviewer's hand and then 10 minutes early. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 AM
 
6,568 posts, read 3,139,678 times
Reputation: 6085
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you are mad because people are 12 minutes early?

pleeezeee

I didn't hear OP say it made him mad. I think his point was why bother mastering the tiny skill of showing up precisely 10 minutes early rather than 12 when you cant deliver the basics that hiring managers are looking for in an interview even though its obvious you've done at least enough research to know not to show up late or half an hour early.

What's amazing is that so many people with college degrees are unable to grasp the point(s) OP made and have become fixated on this tiny detail rather than take in the advice of someone who has experience hiring people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,324,987 times
Reputation: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I didn't hear OP say it made him mad. I think his point was why bother mastering the tiny skill of showing up precisely 10 minutes early rather than 12 when you cant deliver the basics that hiring managers are looking for in an interview even though its obvious you've done at least enough research to know not to show up late or half an hour early.

What's amazing is that so many people with college degrees are unable to grasp the point(s) OP made and have become fixated on this tiny detail rather than take in the advice of someone who has experience hiring people.
you are serious? are you the OP with a new screen name?

I mean you are really really serious?

I think most of us grasped the point entirely (and I'm gainfully employed, so I really don't think I need the sage advice to show up maybe 2 minutes less early which would be incredibly hard to master, probably harder than reading the job description).

The point is this person probably should not be in the position of hiring anyone.

About the only valid point I read was that many people embellish their skill sets. This is very true and I'd agree I'm more comfortable hiring someone that has a realistic view of their own capabilities ...they need to be able to speak about their field intelligently and most people know and are experts in certain areas of a field but not in every part of it. That is usually a red flag.

Being 12 minutes early is not a red flag. It's conscientious and a red flag that you probably don't want to work for the person that noticed, and subsequently bitched about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 AM
 
6,568 posts, read 3,139,678 times
Reputation: 6085
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you are serious? are you the OP with a new screen name?

I mean you are really really serious?

I think most of us grasped the point entirely (and I'm gainfully employed, so I really don't think I need the sage advice to show up maybe 2 minutes less early which would be incredibly hard to master, probably harder than reading the job description).

The point is this person probably should not be in the position of hiring anyone.

About the only valid point I read was that many people embellish their skill sets. This is very true and I'd agree I'm more comfortable hiring someone that has a realistic view of their own capabilities ...they need to be able to speak about their field intelligently and most people know and are experts in certain areas of a field but not in every part of it. That is usually a red flag.

Being 12 minutes early is not a red flag. It's conscientious and a red flag that you probably don't want to work for the person that noticed, and subsequently bitched about it.
Seriously? You don't agree so you are accusing me of being the OP with a different name? How rude lol.

I disagree with you that people got the point. It's obvious to me that most people's responses nit picked what he said to death rather than listen to what was very valid advice.

Seriously, you think its great to show up at an interview and say you just need a job or your mommy told you to get off you rear and find one? Get real.

Whether he should be hiring or farm it out to someone else is his call. Its his business, and according to him the reason he's hiring is that its successful and growing. If the responses made on this forum are indicative of the people out there interviewing I can understand his frustration because most of them are out of touch with reality.

Its pretty clear many responders are using him as a surrogate to vent their frustrations from their own interview experiences. All he is doing is sharing common sense real life examples of things people do in interviews that do not work well for them.

The fact that people would be arguing that personality in unimportant, or that its ok to come in guns blazing on how you want to change an organization before you even understand it, or acting like a know it all when you have little to no experience is frankly pretty mindboggling to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 AM
 
219 posts, read 361,898 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its pretty clear many responders are using him as a surrogate to vent their frustrations from their own interview experiences. All he is doing is sharing common sense real life examples of things people do in interviews that do not work well for them.

The fact that people would be arguing that personality in unimportant, or that its ok to come in guns blazing on how you want to change an organization before you even understand it, or acting like a know it all when you have little to no experience is frankly pretty mindboggling to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,768 posts, read 4,664,946 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
you are mad because people are 12 minutes early?

pleeezeee
As has been clarified throughout this thread no I am not mad that people are 12 minutes early, I am shocked that people have been brainwashed to believe that being 12 minutes early is too early while 10 is perfect and 8 minutes early is late. If you think most interviewers actually give a crap about that you are out of your mind, we just care that if we schedule you to be there at 3:00 you are there and waiting for us to get started when we are ready at 3:00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top