U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 AM

44,769 posts, read 36,172,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
To me, this is way more informative than the original post. Especially for those that haven't interviewed for awhile, or this is their first time.

Thanks for posting some good positive information. Granted, according to the OP though, we shouldn't take advice for interviewing from the internet

LOL thank you - but to ease the OP's mind - this information isn't from "the internet" - it's from a real person who has been on both sides of the interview desk - and successfully navigated both sides!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,791,778 times
I once applied for an internal promotion as I had started with a foot-in-the-door position to work for a company I felt passionate about where I truly liked the mission and vision.

It was kind of funny, because the hiring manager sent out everyone's resume to her team where she stated a strong preference for an external candidate and under my resume she said, "I'm thinking 'no' because she has no claims experience, but I like her analytical skills." Of course, she made a mistake and CC'ed me on this email....

I interviewed twice, once with her and once with her boss (who I got along well with as we went to the same university). I was rejected and then told that the hiring manager rejected me purely because I seemed nervous during my interview. Of course I was nervous! I already knew that it was an uphill battle and I already knew her opinion of me. That was one of the most ridiculous experiences I had as far as interviewing.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,695 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I was rejected and then told that the hiring manager rejected me purely because I seemed nervous during my interview. Of course I was nervous! I already knew that it was an uphill battle and I already knew her opinion of me. That was one of the most ridiculous experiences I had as far as interviewing.
Wow, absurd. Maybe the person hiring doesn't understand human physiology very well? You would have been abnormal if you weren't nervous.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I was rejected and then told that the hiring manager rejected me purely because I seemed nervous during my interview. Of course I was nervous! I already knew that it was an uphill battle and I already knew her opinion of me. That was one of the most ridiculous experiences I had as far as interviewing.
Frankly that sounds like a bogus reason, as if she couldn't come up with any real reason to reject you so she made something up. Sounds like you didn't miss out on anything there.

I haven't read every post in this thread but the comment about being nice to the receptionist is actually fairly valid. The candidate has no way of knowing if the receptionist is in fact an HR person or assistant to the CEO and being rude to them will get back to the hiring person. How you treat people apparently at the bottom of the totem pole can speak volumes to the company you're trying to get into.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
While the job title may lead you to believe you understand exactly what the job is, read the job description and take the time to listen to the interviewer to figure out if it is a job you want and can do. Job titles are different between companies and while the basic job maybe the same, the overall duties can and do range pretty drastically.

Be also aware that many interviewees may have taken jobs where they read the job description thoroughly and listened to the interviewer, only to find out very quickly that none of that has anything to do with the actual job! How many of us have started a job and discovered that the duties and tasks you're being given bear no resemblance with the job you thought you were going to do?

If you're encountering interviewees who are either sceptical about the job description or asking a bunch of questions that seem irrelevant or may even be uninterested in the job description, this is probably why.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,819,477 times
Quote:
They are the same attitude, you are just projecting your biases differently. And no where did I say there were no experts in my field, in fact there are plenty of experts, however even the experts do not know everything.
Can there be experts in your field or can there not be experts? You contradict yourself constantly.

Or are you really getting applicants who think they honestly "know everything" instead of just people who think they are talent and have expert knowledge? I have never met such a person in my life, so I am amazed you get such people at all, much less in any number that it is worth complaining about.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,301,103 times
Quote:
As has been clarified throughout this thread no I am not mad that people are 12 minutes early, I am shocked that people have been brainwashed to believe that being 12 minutes early is too early while 10 is perfect and 8 minutes early is late. If you think most interviewers actually give a crap about that you are out of your mind, we just care that if we schedule you to be there at 3:00 you are there and waiting for us to get started when we are ready at 3:00.
well, I read your first post and to be nice, the rest of the first page maybe part of the second.

That's it. no I didn't read through 6 pages to give you a second chance to clarify yourself. Your first impression on me was pretty bad.

Do you give your interviewees 60 minutes to correct your first impressions which are quite persnickety? I've never heard anyone complain about someone being too early, or even using at as some weird modifier about well...they must be reading advice on the internet but not the job description.

I get it, you are ranting but that's a stretch.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,275,654 times
He's mad that theyre wasting space in his parking lot for two extra minutes I guess?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,051,472 times
Quote:
As has been clarified throughout this thread no I am not mad that people are 12 minutes early, I am shocked that people have been brainwashed to believe that being 12 minutes early is too early while 10 is perfect and 8 minutes early is late. If you think most interviewers actually give a crap about that you are out of your mind, we just care that if we schedule you to be there at 3:00 you are there and waiting for us to get started when we are ready at 3:00.
I don't know about anyone else, but walking out of my car at 10 till is perfect. Why? Because it gives me enough time to get out, put my suit jacket on, walk into the building, maybe go up an elevator, then give the reception notice that I'm here. So, with maybe 5 or more minutes remaining, now the HR person has time to run to the restroom, grab some water, grab my resume and a pen. Remember where they were meeting (which conference room) and gather up the troops if needed.

Personally, I do it because it is the perfect amount of time. Not because someone told me to. Besides, sitting in the lobby for any longer gets boring OR not enough time to finish that really good article in the magazine on the table that I was reading.

So, laugh all you want. It just shows me your character. That if anyone walks in at 10 mins till, it HAS to mean they're doing it ONLY because they read it somewhere....versus actually thinking it's a perfect amount of time to allow everyone to get things together. Yeah. I can see why you don't think it's the latter. All your candidates are idiots. Makes me wonder about the person choosing the candidates though.

I admit, some of your OP was good, but after reading the rest of your insults, it kinda makes me overlook the good.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,919,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
well, I read your first post and to be nice, the rest of the first page maybe part of the second.

That's it. no I didn't read through 6 pages to give you a second chance to clarify yourself. Your first impression on me was pretty bad.

Do you give your interviewees 60 minutes to correct your first impressions which are quite persnickety? I've never heard anyone complain about someone being too early, or even using at as some weird modifier about well...they must be reading advice on the internet but not the job description.

I get it, you are ranting but that's a stretch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search