U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,768 posts, read 4,639,689 times
Reputation: 4899

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Can there be experts in your field or can there not be experts? You contradict yourself constantly.

Or are you really getting applicants who think they honestly "know everything" instead of just people who think they are talent and have expert knowledge? I have never met such a person in my life, so I am amazed you get such people at all, much less in any number that it is worth complaining about.

There is no contradiction outside of the one you are adding, where did I say there is no experts? I said nobody knows anything, and maybe if you were interviewing people you would realize there is a difference. If you have never met someone who thinks that they know everything about a subject good for you, but you may need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,768 posts, read 4,639,689 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but walking out of my car at 10 till is perfect. Why? Because it gives me enough time to get out, put my suit jacket on, walk into the building, maybe go up an elevator, then give the reception notice that I'm here. So, with maybe 5 or more minutes remaining, now the HR person has time to run to the restroom, grab some water, grab my resume and a pen. Remember where they were meeting (which conference room) and gather up the troops if needed.

Personally, I do it because it is the perfect amount of time. Not because someone told me to. Besides, sitting in the lobby for any longer gets boring OR not enough time to finish that really good article in the magazine on the table that I was reading.

So, laugh all you want. It just shows me your character. That if anyone walks in at 10 mins till, it HAS to mean they're doing it ONLY because they read it somewhere....versus actually thinking it's a perfect amount of time to allow everyone to get things together. Yeah. I can see why you don't think it's the latter. All your candidates are idiots. Makes me wonder about the person choosing the candidates though.

I admit, some of your OP was good, but after reading the rest of your insults, it kinda makes me overlook the good.
For being a PSI chick you would think you would know better than to make assumptions, funny how so many have a problem with 1 line in a long post and refuse to react to the rest, not to mention multiple posts throughout the same thread.

Also do not put words into my mouth, I never called all candidate idiots, I said that they need to worry about things considerably more important than if they are 2 minutes off on their timing when showing up for an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,660 posts, read 3,051,472 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
For being a PSI chick you would think you would know better than to make assumptions, funny how so many have a problem with 1 line in a long post and refuse to react to the rest, not to mention multiple posts throughout the same thread.

Also do not put words into my mouth, I never called all candidate idiots, I said that they need to worry about things considerably more important than if they are 2 minutes off on their timing when showing up for an interview.
You too make assumptions. Ever think maybe the PSI stands for Pounds per Square Inch? Maybe my life/job has to do wih pressure. Obviously you didn't. Instead you chose to make assumptions and act like you know who I am. No wonder you get horrible applicants.

I did react to the rest. I said you had some good points. However, you ever hear, oh wait, here's the psych part, that you should follow up negatives with a positive, because the last thing you say is what tends to stick. Well, your last line was negative and insulting. And that's my overall impression of you.

There are idiots out there. We all know that. I've worked in a grocery store when I was in high school. First life lesson was that the general public are idiots. And common sense is in no way common. Learned that at 16. I don't expect any less at the workplace....especially when having to sift through applicants.

I believe "they" suggest 10 mins, not for your benefit, but for the person interviewing. So they'll be on time with time to spare. That's how I've always taken it. Not for HR. I know they don't care how early I'm there, as long as I'm not late.

But whatever. Like I said, I commented on the rest of your post, but am now just focused on your bad attitude, because that's what I've seen more of. Good luck with your hiring practices. Remember, if most of your candidates have issues, the common denominator is the person choosing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
 
15,355 posts, read 17,616,116 times
Reputation: 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I've worked in a grocery store when I was in high school. First life lesson was that the general public are idiots.
I also worked at a grocery store when I was 16. I learned that I liked people. I never thought of them as idiots.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-21-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

There are idiots out there. We all know that. I've worked in a grocery store when I was in high school. First life lesson was that the general public are idiots. And common sense is in no way common. Learned that at 16. I don't expect any less at the workplace....especially when having to sift through applicants.
Wow. And you're criticizing the OP for an attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,660 posts, read 3,051,472 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Wow. And you're criticizing the OP for an attitude?
Well, my mom always did tell me I have a bad attitude.

I never criticized the OP for a bad attitude, I just said that's all I'm focusing on now because it's what I am seeing. I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt, but the OP kinda threw that out the window with the responses I've seen.

So, with that, yes, you can say I have a bad attitude. I don't like most people, because most people are idiots. I don't have a tolerance for idiocy. I'll own it because I'm fine with me. Everyone doesn't get my bad attitude, just those that I can't tolerate for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,919,973 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

But whatever. Like I said, I commented on the rest of your post, but am now just focused on your bad attitude, because that's what I've seen more of. Good luck with your hiring practices. Remember, if most of your candidates have issues, the common denominator is the person choosing them.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM
 
265 posts, read 342,183 times
Reputation: 268
this place is hilarious. people come on here pretending to give self-evident advice from whatever position they are in to stroke their egos. honestly, i'm not sure why people engage in lengthy discussion in these kind of thread. it's a complete joke. i'm glad i am finally in up to 'management tier' employment, but even happier i don't have to waste a lot time hiring. maybe i will in the future since i've only began this new position, but at least not now!

ps: this thread reminds me of a friends aunt who tried to give advice to his mother. she said his mother should sell and her home since she had a bit of debt to pay off. lol. who is she to make this determination with her limited perspective on the intricacies of this persons situation. she didn't even have a much higher income, and had the nerve to give standard generic advice about saving (which the mother in question had been doing going on 2 years). lol. ego stroking is such a trip. why waste time on such people?

he/she is the applicant problem...not mine...

pss: the likelihood of changing someone mind on a forum outside of a debate section with respected member is 1%. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,806 posts, read 3,041,882 times
Reputation: 4790
Take away from this thread. Stroke the interviewer's ego (without being obvious about it) and he will feel like he made a brilliant hire and you walk away with the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
1,357 posts, read 1,109,960 times
Reputation: 3438
I apologize, because I didn't read all 15 pages of this thread, but I am going to chime in my thoughts on the whole thing.

First, I'll say that it's very tough to interview with a potential employer. I think a lot of hiring managers forget just how nerve wracking it is. Most of us are interviewing because we really need employment and we want to make a good impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
While your college education or background can be very important, and you may be able to bring a new approach to the way things are done, it is never a good idea to tell the interviewer that the way they do things is out of date and have to be changed. Sorry but sometimes there are reasons that things are done certain ways, things are done different in the real world and even in different areas than others simply due to client expectations or business climate.

While the job title may lead you to believe you understand exactly what the job is, read the job description and take the time to listen to the interviewer to figure out if it is a job you want and can do. Job titles are different between companies and while the basic job maybe the same, the overall duties can and do range pretty drastically.
Personally, I don't go in thinking I know everything. I listen to what the interviewer has to say about the position and then I tell them about my skills and answer their questions. I would rather see exactly how things are done first and then give them my ideas. I know that not every "Accounting Clerk" or "Administrative Assistant" is the same because every company has different policies and procedures. I think some people are just trying so hard to impress the interviewer that they get diarrhea of the mouth and everything comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Personality is important, like it or not if we do not like you or do not believe what you are telling us you will not get the job. That being said do not be fake, be yourself, usually most of us have been interviewing long enough that we can tell when you are fake, and that means no job anyways.
Again, this leads back to wanting to make a good impression - at least in my case. I won't say that I'm fake, but I do try to speak more formally.

My biggest problem with the interviewing process is that I only get to talk to and meet with HR and the hiring manager. I don't get to meet with my potential coworkers. I'd love to be able to sit with someone in the department for 10 minutes and get a feel for how everything works rather than being completely shocked on the first day because I have nothing in common with them.

Good example - I was hired for a job back in 2003. Seemed like a good job, decent pay, but when I started, I found that my coworkers were A: all older and B: a bunch of cliquey shrews. When the manager of the department fired another girl who started a couple of days after I did because the 'clique' didn't like her (their excuse was that she wasn't catching on quickly enough), I told them that I didn't think it was the place for me and I left.

My point is that we, as interviewees, need to see the personalities as well. It's difficult to judge YOUR personality in a lot of cases, especially if you're bored or frustrated because of previous candidates or because McDonald's didn't put sugar in your coffee or whatever. It's a two way street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Maybe even others in a hiring position can add to this, as I wish people would stop reading articles on the internet and go back to learning basic interview skills. Personally it makes me laugh when I see someone that is sitting out in the parking lot because they are 12 minutes early and the experts tell them to only be 10 minutes early, it also drives me crazy when I can pick up that someone has read too many of those articles.
Why would it drive you crazy? I would think you'd be glad that they actually made some sort of effort to try to get things right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top