U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
this place is hilarious. people come on here pretending to give self-evident advice from whatever position they are in to stroke their egos. honestly, i'm not sure why people engage in lengthy discussion in these kind of thread. it's a complete joke. i'm glad i am finally in up to 'management tier' employment, but even happier i don't have to waste a lot time hiring. maybe i will in the future since i've only began this new position, but at least not now!

ps: this thread reminds me of a friends aunt who tried to give advice to his mother. she said his mother should sell and her home since she had a bit of debt to pay off. lol. who is she to make this determination with her limited perspective on the intricacies of this persons situation. she didn't even have a much higher income, and had the nerve to give standard generic advice about saving (which the mother in question had been doing going on 2 years). lol. ego stroking is such a trip. why waste time on such people?

he/she is the applicant problem...not mine...

pss: the likelihood of changing someone mind on a forum outside of a debate section with respected member is 1%. lol

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Take away from this thread. Stroke the interviewer's ego (without being obvious about it) and he will feel like he made a brilliant hire and you walk away with the job.
Nothing the OP mentioned had anything to do with ego. It was about common "red flags" from an interviewer's point of view.

The OP was offering advice. Everyone has a choice. Ignore the OP's advice if you so choose.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,816,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
There is no contradiction outside of the one you are adding, where did I say there is no experts? I said nobody knows anything, and maybe if you were interviewing people you would realize there is a difference. If you have never met someone who thinks that they know everything about a subject good for you, but you may need to get out more.
I have not done huge numbers of interviews. Probably only ~150 at most. With my professional community work, mostly on conference committees, I have come into contact with several thousand from my profession though.

I still have never had a single interviewee nor encountered another professional in my field who truly believed they knew everything. When you think about it, a person who truly believed that is mentally ill. Maybe you are forming an ad hominem that if a person presents themselves as an expert, particularly a more knowledgeable expert than you, that they have no knowledge of their own limitations and truly believe they know everything?

If you are getting multiple people with that belief as candidates in your interview process, something must be very wrong with your recruitment.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,318,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Do not take interviewing advice from your teachers/professors
THIS is SO true!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,275,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Do not take interviewing advice from your teachers/professors
Teachers and professors had to interview for their jobs. Believe it or not, their interviews can be quite tough.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Teachers and professors had to interview for their jobs. Believe it or not, their interviews can be quite tough.
Higher Ed academic hiring is a completely different thing from most other hiring processes. While there are parallels, there are significant differences. I would not look to a professor for much practical job seeking advice based upon personal experience.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Higher Ed academic hiring is a completely different thing from most other hiring processes. While there are parallels, there are significant differences. I would not look to a professor for much practical job seeking advice based upon personal experience.
If the professor has related work experience outside of academia, then I don't see the problem. One of my CJ professors was a law enforcement officer for a long time. Almost all of the instructors at the school I teach at have real world experience.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If the professor has related work experience outside of academia, then I don't see the problem. One of my CJ professors was a law enforcement officer for a long time. Almost all of the instructors at the school I teach at have real world experience.
The conversation becomes rather nuanced.

A tenured faculty member has probably not had a job interview in 7+ years! and even then the job search and interview would have been completely different from most people.

An adjunct would have a different viewpoint that might be better for most.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The conversation becomes rather nuanced.

A tenured faculty member has probably not had a job interview in 7+ years! and even then the job search and interview would have been completely different from most people.

An adjunct would have a different viewpoint that might be better for most.
You also have your tenure track professors who just left college. Some of them worked while in college. Some colleges also have full-time instructors who are non-tenure track and just left their professions. The same also goes for elementary and secondary schools that hire teachers who completed an alternative teacher certification program. I had a technology teacher in high school who had just left the IT field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search