U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,651,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is way too nitpicky, IMO.
didn't say it would stop me from hiring them, it just makes me laugh, not only that someone believes 2 minutes should be the difference between getting hired or not, but that enough people put it in an articles so that people are that worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM

8,840 posts, read 13,338,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
For many roles, personality and likeability are very important. Many of the jobs I hire for have a heavy team contributor component - in these, a peer panel interview is used to weed out those that get past the phone screen stage. If the rest of the team likes them from a personality and functional ability standpoint, they move on to the final interview with me.

Solves the vast majority of the interpersonal conflict drama that represents 25% of the threads on this forum, and gives my employees somewhat of a vested interest in the new hire's success. Not many of them hang out together after work, but the office environment is highly engaged and not sidetracked by petty political games.

So, yes, personality is important.
You just decribed drinking budy... someone you like
Frankly that is very shallow and not something you should be proud of. As long of the person behaves in a respectable professional manner you should hire someone who is best qualified. Because you may not "like" nor want to go drinking with the person does not mean they cannot contribute well to the team unless the whole team is shallow and has problems working with others.

There are a lot of shallow people out there using "fit" as a euphemism for utter shallowness.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,651,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You are confusing good behavior with a personality you like. A person who is able to behave in a professional fashion is not a poison to a group. If someone is being rude, abrassive, condescending or arrogant that is bad behavior and indeed a poison. If someone is introverted but works hard and is very competent then that may be a personality one doesn't like but it is not a poison. If one is only able to work with people one would want to hang out with after work then in fact that person is the poison.
I work with small business people, that is my market, that is who I target, my clients do not want to walk into an office and sit down with someone who does not have a decent personality, that is just the way it is.

Personally I do not hang out or even contact my employees outside of work hours, I have plenty of friends and family that I do not get to see enough of.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
clients do not want to walk into an office and sit down with someone who does not have a decent personality
Your clients want someone to be curteous and ask how they may help them like a professional. That is what I define as good professional behavior.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,928,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I don't know about this post. While the gist of it is valid, it is also a little jaded. As a matter of fact I was reading the blog of a recruiter regarding the use of Taleo, which we all love so much. The blogger/job recruiter was very funny in slamming Taleo so I decided to read the rest of her blog. It quickly became obvious just how jaded and bitter that person was. Every post was laced with profanity and making fun of candidates who had submitted resumes to the recruiter. Now granted, the examples that were posted were really ridiculous, but I can't help but wonder if all that bitterness and jadedness are also projected onto candidates who are actually qualified.

The OP's post seems to be this way. It's like the OP has so many negative experiences with unqualified candidates that when a qualified one is presented, they will be looked on with the same jadedness and bias. It just rubs off.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,119,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You just decribed drinking budy... someone you like
Frankly that is very shallow and not something you should be proud of. As long of the person behaves in a respectable professional manner you should hire someone who is best qualified. Because you may not "like" nor want to go drinking with the person does not mean they cannot contribute well to the team unless the whole team is shallow and has problems working with others.

There are a lot of shallow people out there using "fit" as a euphemism for utter shallowness.
You must have missed the "functional ability" part. Along with the part where I said that not many of them interact outside of work.

But hey, hang on to your ideal - I'll stay proud of the actual results my teams have.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM

15,395 posts, read 17,675,917 times
Quote:
didn't say it would stop me from hiring them, it just makes me laugh, not only that someone believes 2 minutes should be the difference between getting hired or not, but that enough people put it in an articles so that people are that worried about it.
Why do you assume they read about it in some articles? Maybe they always arrive early to give themselves a few minutes to decompress after driving and take a few minutes review notes one final time before walking in the door. Maybe they are being respectful of your time and don't want to arrive too early (or worse, arrive late). To me it seems they did everything right in this scenario but you are still trying to hold this against them as some sort of negative because you somehow decided they are only doing it because the experts told them.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Why do you assume they read about it in some articles? Maybe they always arrive early to give themselves a few minutes to decompress after driving and take a few minutes review notes one final time before walking in the door. Maybe they are being respectful of your time and don't want to arrive too early (or worse, arrive late). To me it seems they did everything right in this scenario but you are still trying to hold this against them as some sort of negative because you somehow decided they are only doing it because the experts told them. Which you really have no clue if this is true or not.
That just seems to be how most people that interview behave. They make huge leaps of logic, generalizations, and use their personal biases to make snap negative judgements about candidates then pat themselves on the back with self delusion for having prevented a bad hire and whine about how awful the candidates are to anyone who will listen. This is the skills shortage and it has nothing to do with skills.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,322,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Do not take interviewing advice from your teachers/professors
Haha, this speaks truer than most people think. I don't care if you're a college student or phd student. Just a couple minutes of talking will reveal to us you're just regurgitating what your teachers/professors told you. The real world is a much different place.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,830,697 times
Quote:
Understand even if you do know everything we do not believe that you know everything, otherwise why would you be looking for a job, this is my biggest pet peeve.
So people who do "know everything" are never allowed to change jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search