U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 AM

141 posts, read 337,174 times

Advertisements

I went for an interview with a start-up company and it went very well. They want to offer me the job but after thinking extensively about it and discussing with my family, I decided to withdraw my candidacy.

So, this morning, the CEO of the company called me! She really wants me and said she does not want to end the process before I go in to meet with her and the COO.

She addressed 2 of my major concerns:

1. Stability. I'm the type who wants to stay with a company for the longer term (guess I'm old fashion) and I'm not certain of the company's future. It will either be acquired or go under, either way I'm out of a job.

2. The commute. I initially thought I could do it but after reconsidering, I decided I could not do it on a daily basis. The CEO said they have flexibility and even said she's going to ask for a higher salary for me.

I will go and see her and the COO because I think it's a fair request before I make any FINAL FINAL decision.

Has anyone worked at a start up or is working at a start up? Risky?

I know every start up is different but just wanted to get a general sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM

313 posts, read 288,289 times
I work at a very small company that is in the midst of trying to reinvent itself. At this point, I would consider it a start-up. There is no doubt about it, it is risky indeed. There have been layoffs every year for the past 3 years. Recently I thought the company was going to close its doors, but things have stabilized a little. I've heard talks of selling it here and there.

I am like you, I am trying to find a place where I can stay for the super long term (>20 years) and where there is a defined career path/progression roadmap.

It is a good idea to take a look at the competitors of the business and see what they are doing and how viable they are. You might find out that your prospective employer has things all wrong.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,146,734 times
You can likely count on very long hours, as everyone working is usually expected to really invest themselves in the company mission. As companies start small in most of these cases there will be a closer corporate culture with social outings combining work and play and more job perks may be offered. Some places have everything from ping pong tables to free gym memberships.

Business in the U.S. is fierce, with a win at all costs attitude prevelent in newer companies. If you feel strongly about the product or service and think it has a future, and the job, hours and expectations are high for you and clear from the beginning it could be a good opportunity. Just research the market and company thoroughly.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 39,624 times
My last position was with a startup. Lasted 6 months, now I'm back on the market and the competition is fierce. Like you, I'm a weirdo who longs for long term employment.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 AM

4,017 posts, read 8,639,925 times
I'm the oddball. I've worked for several startups and loved it. You get to create the job and grow with it. If you're someone who thrives on challenge and doesn't mind change, you can't beat working with a start up. Sure, it's risky because you don't know if the company will make it or not, but do your homework and you'll have a fair idea of their potential before you take the job. It's also a great chance to get experience you won't find anywhere else, and that experience goes with you to the next job.

I'm self employed now, and the only thing I'd give it up for is a good start up.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,520,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacakey View Post
My last position was with a startup. Lasted 6 months, now I'm back on the market and the competition is fierce. Like you, I'm a weirdo who longs for long term employment.
I'm with you, I specifically didn't search for work with startups and focused on well established companies with a good outlook.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,207,310 times
I worked for a start up in August. It wasn't my skillset and quit, but they had already been bought out by AutoTrader in June 2013, and with that came all of the benefits of working for Cox Enterprises. The company is winning awards left and right. Haystak Digital Marketing Earns Google AdWords Premier SMB Partner Award for Customer Satisfaction for Second Year in a Row

I expect that they'll be around for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or