U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,538,437 times

Advertisements

It sounds pretty straightforward. They probably ranked candidates using some formula (scientific or otherwise) and the rank included distance. To answer the question about distance, it does seem like priority is going to locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM

9,812 posts, read 17,051,687 times
If they can hire local, they will. If they can't, they will move to the next range band, which includes you.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,073,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It means they put you at the second tier of applicants because you are not local. The company prefers local candidates, although they should have placed this on the job posting. Many that prefer local will post "local candidates only".
Agreed. I will take it a step farther, you are a long shot, don't hold your breath, move on.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM

193 posts, read 490,464 times
It's just really frustrating because of the prior communication I had been having with the manager. She was really excited to get my cover letter and resume, and told me to submit a full application, and that they really hoped I would do so. And also said after that they would review the app and then talk to me about "the reality of flying out there for an interview," however I was supposed to take that.

It sounded really promising but then now this talk of basically their intentions to stay local. I just wish when she read my application the first time that she wouldn't have responded back all gung-ho and excited about me, and instead I wish she said something like, "We'll be in touch with you, but please note we are giving priority to local candidates first," so that I didn't get my hopes up too much.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM

400 posts, read 1,321,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
It's just really frustrating because of the prior communication I had been having with the manager. She was really excited to get my cover letter and resume, and told me to submit a full application, and that they really hoped I would do so. And also said after that they would review the app and then talk to me about "the reality of flying out there for an interview," however I was supposed to take that.

It sounded really promising but then now this talk of basically their intentions to stay local. I just wish when she read my application the first time that she wouldn't have responded back all gung-ho and excited about me, and instead I wish she said something like, "We'll be in touch with you, but please not we are giving priority to local candidates first," so that I didn't get my hopes up too much.
you're putting the cart before the horse... you have become so emotionally attached yet you haven't even interviewed... slow you roll... if they chose to proceed okay but you need to apply to other opportunities and take your mind off this one... you are not the only applicant and they are so many factors involved in the hiring process - you don't have the job no matter what they say or how nice they appear until you have an official offer in hand

Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 PM

193 posts, read 490,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
you're putting the cart before the horse... you have become so emotionally attached yet you haven't even interviewed... slow you roll... if they chose to proceed okay but you need to apply to other opportunities and take your mind off this one... you are not the only applicant and they are so many factors involved in the hiring process - you don't have the job no matter what they say or how nice they appear until you have an official offer in hand
I know, I'm getting too wrapped up in it. It's just the perfect job for me and it's hard to think about it rationally when you see that job.

I'm definitely just going to take my mind off of it and move on, and if I get a call back eventually, great. If not, no worries I suppose.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM

10,082 posts, read 14,073,011 times
You would be better served telling yourself you were flat out rejected and put it out of your mind. Then if you get a nice surprise then we can revisit this topic.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,959 posts, read 54,699,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You would be better served telling yourself you were flat out rejected and put it out of your mind. Then if you get a nice surprise then we can revisit this topic.
If you take this approach you will be able to get more sleep, and not spend all of your time worrying about whether they will get back to you or not. Hiring managers, and to a lesser extent HR almost always sound "excited" to get your resume, and whether or not they really were at the time, you never know what other people are going to apply after you.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,332,248 times
canned response move on

Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM

15,775 posts, read 26,851,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I know, I'm getting too wrapped up in it. It's just the perfect job for me and it's hard to think about it rationally when you see that job.

I'm definitely just going to take my mind off of it and move on, and if I get a call back eventually, great. If not, no worries I suppose.
Why would you take this off your mind? You are one of the candidates for the job. They only have a few local candidates that they are going thru. I don't see where they stated that it was for locals only. They took the time to contact you didn't they? At one point during my career I interviewed for a job where I work. I had been there for sometime. I was granted an interview which for me was a great sign of things to come. I figured they know who I am and they were giving me the time to interview. Looks good right? Well it turns out that I was far from being able to acquire that job. They had other candidates that were so much more advanced in their careers than I was. Although I qualified for the requirments within the job description, other outside candidates were better prepaired for the job. I was told that I was granted an interview because the VP figured he owed that to me because I was an employee.

Personally that was a learning experience for me. I was able to find out areas that I needed to improve in within the field. I found out things that I needed to become more adept at so that I could further my career.

Look at it like this, that the company may want to get past the local candidates so that they can open it up to the qualified candidates. Do not ever sell your self short. Also take this as a time to learn about yourself. Many times if we are not ready for something we will learn about what is relevant in our given employment fields.

You might not get the job. But you might get the job.

Now that I have explained that. Next lesson.

No job or opportunity is yours. You do have to earn them. You may want the perfect job for you. The real deal is that many places offer the perfect job for you. I work in healthcare and we have plenty of hospitals within an hours drive of my home. All of those places have opportunities for someone like me. I would bet that with the company you are persuing that other companies offer a similar job. I guess what I would do is switch my goal from getting that job to getting a job just like it. If it turns out that they hire you, then lucky you. If not, then at least you know the perfect job exists and realize it exists in more places than just this one employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or