U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 545,508 times

Advertisements

I've had many out of state applications the past year, so I have seen this response once or twice. It's exactly as everyone else says. In most cases, you are at a disadvantage to local applicants. Clearly that is the case with this company. There's always the possibility the local applicants do not work out for them and you will get a closer look, but do not count too much on that. It's at least good that you received any sort of response. Usually, I hear nothing at all, or have a phone screen with someone in HR.

What I do in my applications is make sure to state in my cover letter that I am intending to move with no assistance needed. Then if I get a phone interview, I make sure to reinforce that and let them know I will be in the new location ASAP after my two weeks notice to current employer. Not everyone can make the move that quickly, though maybe you can get to the new location before being fully moved. These have to be true and you have to be ready to do so if everything works out. I don't have a success story on this yet personally. Hopefully soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 15,397,378 times
I think it sounds like they are very interested in you, since they took the time to email you personally instead of a canned response. They prefer local candidates and if you were local I think you'd be one of the top choices. Sounds like they just have a couple of local people they are considering, and you are next in line after that. I would say it all depends on what they think of the couple of local candidates. But to me it sounds like they are really interested in you.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM

193 posts, read 488,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
I've had many out of state applications the past year, so I have seen this response once or twice. It's exactly as everyone else says. In most cases, you are at a disadvantage to local applicants. Clearly that is the case with this company. There's always the possibility the local applicants do not work out for them and you will get a closer look, but do not count too much on that. It's at least good that you received any sort of response. Usually, I hear nothing at all, or have a phone screen with someone in HR.

What I do in my applications is make sure to state in my cover letter that I am intending to move with no assistance needed. Then if I get a phone interview, I make sure to reinforce that and let them know I will be in the new location ASAP after my two weeks notice to current employer. Not everyone can make the move that quickly, though maybe you can get to the new location before being fully moved. These have to be true and you have to be ready to do so if everything works out. I don't have a success story on this yet personally. Hopefully soon.
I did have that down in my cover letter, that I wouldn't need any financial help to relocate.

The responses in this topic are such as strange mix. Half of the people say "canned response, move on..." half of the people say, "It sounds like they are still very interested in you." And the third half say take it at face value.

You can see why I didn't know exactly how to read it in the first place, as the responses in this topic are so split.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
The responses in this topic are such as strange mix. Half of the people say "canned response, move on..." half of the people say, "It sounds like they are still very interested in you." And the third half say take it at face value.

You can see why I didn't know exactly how to read it in the first place, as the responses in this topic are so split.
The problem I see is that none of us can interpret what the company is saying to you personally. We don't know their intentions or what they plan on doing. About the only business that runs on polling data is the business of Government and even within Givernment the numbers can work out how they see fit.

Saying that, here is another option that may work in your favor, if you have not used it allready.

Create a career portfolio. You can look online to see examples of them. This is where you go into detail about you. List your accomplishments, work experience, education including the classes that you liked, and other things that you know how to do. If you know of problems that the company is facing list similar areas that you worked on and the solutions that you offered to resolve those problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 545,508 times
Quote:
I did have that down in my cover letter, that I wouldn't need any financial help to relocate.

I was thinking the common tone of all the responses is that you are simply not one of the top candidates at this point. I think regardless of how anyone interprets it beyond that, you've done all you can up to this point. They may contact you further, maybe not. Even if you received a phone screen or have had direct contact with the hiring manager, that's not a lock. You've got to keep looking at other options. They are. Until you get an offer, you are still looking.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,792,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Message looks fine to me - and yes, I do believe they are interested in looking at local candidates first. Honestly, I can't blame them for that.
A qualified local candidate would have no relocation problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,536,122 times
Quote:
It's just really frustrating because of the prior communication I had been having with the manager. She was really excited to get my cover letter and resume, and told me to submit a full application, and that they really hoped I would do so. And also said after that they would review the app and then talk to me about "the reality of flying out there for an interview," however I was supposed to take that.

It sounded really promising but then now this talk of basically their intentions to stay local. I just wish when she read my application the first time that she wouldn't have responded back all gung-ho and excited about me, and instead I wish she said something like, "We'll be in touch with you, but please note we are giving priority to local candidates first," so that I didn't get my hopes up too much.
So, it sounds like they think you are a good candidate. There may just be others who are equally good candidates and are also local. For a variety of reasons, a local candidate is probably more likely to stick around long term. You have the subset of people who move somewhere, get lonely, and move home after a year. You have the subset of people who just likes to move someplace new every year or two. You have the subset of people who take a job, but did not think things through and wind up bailing before they can take the position. Unfortunately, all non-local candidates then get dinged for the actions of some non-local candidates.

I would keep my chin up, and just see what happens. There's nothing you can do to change it other than having already moved there, so don't waste energy worrying about it.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,876,382 times
They may prefer you, but their budget wont allow paying for your transportation to the interview. They may have an internal candidate or two that they have to consider. What if you tell them you are planning to move there with or without the job? That may even be true-not clear from the posts so far...? Tell them you will be there next week for interviews and that you would appreciate the opportunity to speak with them further. If it feels right, go for it. I did this, and DID have one other interview, and DID plan on moving regardless of which job I took, so wasn't fibbing. The job turned out to be everything I had hoped for....only thing is, nothing is forever and the boss retired after I was there 10 years, and it all went to h_ _ _ _ after that. So just remember to always keep looking, even if you have the dream job!! Good luck!!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM

15,369 posts, read 17,620,172 times
Possibly another manager or HR forced the hiring manager to interview local candidates first. You can bet that they will be compared against you. I think there is a good chance that you get an interview unless there is another candidate that is as good/better than you.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,377,641 times
Most companies don't take you seriously if you're out of town.

There are exceptions and even cases where people have moving expenses paid but I think people should move to a town and then apply there.

And don't sit by your phone waiting for calls. Keep the job search machine going until you've accepted a written offer.

I've thought I had 1 to 3 jobs in the bag before only to have them all fall through, or just one come through.

So try not to be discouraged and keep looking even if a job offer seems imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or