Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM

194 posts, read 635,799 times

Advertisements

This hasn't happened yet or anything, but I've been thinking about this for some time, and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on it.

I actually live in the same place I work. It's a big operating ranch, outdoor education center, nature reserve-y type thing, corporate retreat center, etc. etc.

There are a few of us that live in houses on the property, including both me and my boss.

If the day came where I had to go interview at another job without much notice, what would be the best way for me to get out of there?

Because obviously, I can't just call in sick, because then he will see that I'm not actually at home and that I took off somewhere, and he would know I'm lying.

It's also a very small administration staff here, so they are going to be all up in my business either way asking me about where I went.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this unique situation, and what I could say/how I could get off work to fly to an interview and not have them know what's up?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
When I see other folks at work suddenly disappear for interviews,they seem to consistently say they have a family emergency and need to go back home for a few days. They never day any details about the nature of the family emergency, although I never prod.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
You were away on personal business; people need to respect your privacy or be offended when you subsequently tell them to mind their own.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I suppose that's the best I can do. "Family situation" or something like that. One of the downfalls of living right next to your boss.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
You were away on personal business; people need to respect your privacy or be offended when you subsequently tell them to mind their own.
Well, I was thinking more about what I should say when I FIRST tell my boss I'm heading out of town. That awkward moment, right?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
That is ALL you need to say. "Personal business" and leave it at that.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That is ALL you need to say. "Personal business" and leave it at that.
And add either a glaring - you better not ask stare; or lower your eyes and tear up. Either should work.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
?????

How about you take a vacation day? Just tell people you went away somewhere and had a good time.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
?????

How about you take a vacation day? Just tell people you went away somewhere and had a good time.
Well, because if it's on short notice and you say "I'm gonna use a vacation day, just go somewhere and have a good time." and then your boss says, "Oh no, Tuesday's not a good day at all, we've got that meeting with so and so...

Then at that point you can't be like, "Well, actually I've got like, this family thing I have to deal with."

Then he would think you are lying.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
How about the truth? "I'm considering making some changes, and I have a job interview on Tuesday." Do you not have a good enough relationship with your employers? Are you some sort of indentured servant trying to escape?

I took two days off work to fly across the country for job interviews, with my boss's knowledge. Why wouldn't I want him to know? He also wrote a letter of recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search