U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,494,146 times

Advertisements

I would not take it as a bad sign. I have never been on a phone screen with HR that lasted more than 15 minutes. In my last job hunt, they averaged about 10-12 minutes with the recruiters.

I still made it to the initial interview with the hiring manager. I landed a new job with better pay and benefits.

It's ultimately up to the hiring manager to make the decision, so they will go in-depth with a 30-minute to an hour interview. If that interview with the hiring manager is cut short, then it's a bad sign.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-20-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 2,129,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Did he actually say interviews are 30 minutes long, or did you infer this from finding out that the next interview was 30 minutes later? Maybe he only interviews for 15 minutes and uses the gap time to look over the next person's application materials and sort out any technical problem that may arise.
In the email he said most skype interviews are 30 min long. From what I saw on the appointment website, all the times were separated by 30 minutes. Here's the exact quotes from the email.

"Thanks for applying to our job openings. We have reviewed your resume and would like to schedule you in for your first interview. Most interviews will be held via Skype for 30 minutes. Iíve included a link below with my availability and would love to get you scheduled in for an interview. Iím holding interviews throughout January. Please click on the link below for my availability and follow the instructions when scheduling your interview. I look forward to taking you through our interview process and getting to know you."

Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I would not take it as a bad sign. I have never been on a phone screen with HR that lasted more than 15 minutes. In my last job hunt, they averaged about 10-12 minutes with the recruiters.

I still made it to the initial interview with the hiring manager. I landed a new job with better pay and benefits.

It's ultimately up to the hiring manager to make the decision, so they will go in-depth with a 30-minute to an hour interview. If that interview with the hiring manager is cut short, then it's a bad sign.
Wow that's relieving to hear. Thank you so much.

It seemed like he was inputting my info into some paperwork, asking for my preferred locations and what position I'm interested in etc.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,382,940 times
Please don't focus too much concern on one job; you did what you can now keep cranking your job search machine until you've accepted a written offer.
That guy might not even be capable of seeing that you're the perfect match (if you are.)

It can be a roller coaster, I know - nothing for awhile then 3 things looking good all at once, but you gotta keep networking and applying.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,259,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
In the email he said most skype interviews are 30 min long. From what I saw on the appointment website, all the times were separated by 30 minutes. Here's the exact quotes from the email.

"Thanks for applying to our job openings. We have reviewed your resume and would like to schedule you in for your first interview. Most interviews will be held via Skype for 30 minutes. Iíve included a link below with my availability and would love to get you scheduled in for an interview. Iím holding interviews throughout January. Please click on the link below for my availability and follow the instructions when scheduling your interview. I look forward to taking you through our interview process and getting to know you."
Okay, gotcha. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it. Trust me, I know the job applicant struggle-- it's easy to get neurotic about every minute detail, but you'll only stress yourself out. Keep us posted on everything works out

Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Please don't focus too much concern on one job; you did what you can now keep cranking your job search machine until you've accepted a written offer.
That guy might not even be capable of seeing that you're the perfect match (if you are.)

It can be a roller coaster, I know - nothing for awhile then 3 things looking good all at once, but you gotta keep networking and applying.

Good luck!
Yeah definitely. I'll have to keep looking around sadly. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Okay, gotcha. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it. Trust me, I know the job applicant struggle-- it's easy to get neurotic about every minute detail, but you'll only stress yourself out. Keep us posted on everything works out
I think I'm getting way too concerned over one measly potential job..thanks, and I'll be sure to do that.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,494,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I think I'm getting way too concerned over one measly potential job..thanks, and I'll be sure to do that.
Don't get tunnel vision. When I get selected for a phone screen with HR, I use it as motivation. I apply for 2-3 more positions on the same day.

When you finish the 1st/2nd interviews with the hiring manager, I am even more excited. I apply for 2-3 more positions again on the same day.

I debrief the interview with other people and ask for ways to improve on the next interviews.

You have to make your impact in the first 6 months of the year. The corporate job openings slow down in the 2nd half of the year.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,810,288 times
I'm with everyone about the tunnel vision: That and you said it was commission-based. Does that mean a base salary + commission or that you're purely commission? If you're purely commission (like many insurance sales reps, financial advisors, etc are), you've got to think, "Is this opportunity even right for me?" If you could live at your parent's home for a couple of years while you build up a base, working 80+ hours a week, meeting with 10-15 clients of which ONE might buy.... then go for it. But the first year or two in commission-only sales is tough and not for the faint of heart. Great potential for those who are super competitive.

That's just my opinion of them.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Don't get tunnel vision. When I get selected for a phone screen with HR, I use it as motivation. I apply for 2-3 more positions on the same day.

When you finish the 1st/2nd interviews with the hiring manager, I am even more excited. I apply for 2-3 more positions again on the same day.

I debrief the interview with other people and ask for ways to improve on the next interviews.

You have to make your impact in the first 6 months of the year. The corporate job openings slow down in the 2nd half of the year.
Awesome. I definitely will start looking for more openings. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I'm with everyone about the tunnel vision: That and you said it was commission-based. Does that mean a base salary + commission or that you're purely commission? If you're purely commission (like many insurance sales reps, financial advisors, etc are), you've got to think, "Is this opportunity even right for me?" If you could live at your parent's home for a couple of years while you build up a base, working 80+ hours a week, meeting with 10-15 clients of which ONE might buy.... then go for it. But the first year or two in commission-only sales is tough and not for the faint of heart. Great potential for those who are super competitive.

That's just my opinion of them.
I believe it has a bit of base salary but commission is the big chunk of it. I definitely feel like I need to keep looking at other places for better pay too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or