U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM

268 posts, read 324,473 times

Advertisements

So I applied for a job through a companies website (a fairly well known, and I assume, difficult to get a job at company) a few days ago. Through a combination of Linkedin and the companies 411 directory, I managed to find the name and number of the person who supervises the person in this position (which I think might also be the hiring manager?...). Should I give this person a call and introduce myself? If so, what should I say?

I meet pretty much all the requirements for the position and wrote a hell of a cover letter explaining why I'd be the best, but it's for an out of state position and all things being equal, I fear they might just grab someone local instead. So far, shooting off resumes and waiting hasn't netted anything too positive, so I'm trying to do whatever I can to show that I want this particular job. In the past several months of searching it's one of the only things I've found that I know I'd like, and I know I'd do well at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
I wouldn't call especially if they are likely to expecting to have candidates sent to them through HR. However a direct email may be better. When I got laid off I was given access to a job transition company as part of my severance and my contact there provided me with a email that can be customized. I think it's a good combination of making sure that you're noticed without seeming like you're being too aggressive.

Dear Mr./Ms. X,

I recently reviewed your profile on LinkedIn because I 'd applied online for a position as JOB TITLE. Based on your position with the company, and its relationship to this role, you may well be involved in the ultimate hiring decision, or know who would be. The JOB TITLE role appears to be a very good match with my background, as for company Z I've spent approximately X% of my time these past X years WORKING/MANAGING/DEVELOPING/OTHER ACTION VERB in the NOW CITE OVERLAP FROM YOUR BACKGROUND TO THE JOB REQUIREMENT.

As noted, I've applied directly online for the position but also wanted to reach out to you directly and see if there's a time we can further discuss the opportunity. I'd like to find out what the real pain points are for your hiring manager and whether my extensive experience in X, Y and Z would allow me to add value and solve problems. As it relates to the job spec, I believe I can help in this manner:
• TOP REQUIREMENT AND HOW YOU MEET IT
• 2ND REQUIREMENT AND HOW YOU MEET IT
• ANOTHER REQUIREMENT AND HOW YOU MEET IT

I've attached a copy of my resume that will provide you with additional information. (IF APPLICABLE YOU COULD ALSO ADD…While reviewing your job postings, it appears that I might also be qualified for the ADDITIONAL JOB TITLE position.

I can be reached at PHONE or via email at EMAIL and am available to speak with you at your convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Your Name
Company if applicable

Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 AM

268 posts, read 324,473 times
I was going to mention that I don't have this person's email address. Ideally, I would like to send them an email like you showed here to make it less awkward, but the only thing I could manage to find (through some nifty detective work!) was a name and the number of their office. And to be honest, I'm kind of tired of sitting around waiting for people to maybe respond to me. Maybe I'll hear from HR, maybe I won't. Maybe they didn't even see my resume. Tired of maybes and trying to guess what is going on behind the scenes. I know I've submitted/emailed resumes before to people that have requested it, and they end up forgetting that they received it, and ask me again to forward my resume, only after I bug them about the status of the first one I sent. In larger companies, I haven't had much success of making through HR (or even to HR), even when I feel I meet all the requirements for the job.

The point of a direct call is that they have no other option but to confront me and answer any questions I have, I just don't know if it would do harm or not. Though aggressive is exactly what I think I need to be, considering nothing else has worked so far.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 AM

2,285 posts, read 3,110,238 times
It'll basically give you a "yes/no" situation, which could be totally awkward and backfire horribly.

Conversely, maybe HR has over-screened the hell out of this guy's candidate pool and you might find that serendipitous moment that lands you the job.

I say why not? What's the worst case scenario?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM

8,315 posts, read 6,163,226 times
It certainly won't hurt. At worst it gets ignored and at best it might get your resume pulled from the pile. I wouldn't be pushy about anything but it certainly can't hurt. Especially in sales type jobs, they might appreciate the gumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or