U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 PM

136 posts, read 142,645 times

Advertisements

A recruiter sends me a listing for a position that is vaguely described but looks like a good entry-level opportunity in the field I'm pursuing. He asks me whether the salary and location are okay; I say yes. He asks whether he can set me up with a phone interview tomorrow with a member of the company; I say yes. Then he sends me an interview confirmation email and attached in it a more complete description of the job. The more complete description has a lot of bullet points that are specific technical skills that I don't have. I'm not sure how the recruiter got the idea that I would be good for this job. Now I'm scared about this phone interview being a complete disaster.

Why do recruiters do this? I've had it happen a couple times already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM

2,285 posts, read 3,107,526 times
You're back!

It's called the shotgun approach. Never know, a pellet might hit.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 AM

2,147 posts, read 2,678,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
A recruiter sends me a listing for a position that is vaguely described but looks like a good entry-level opportunity in the field I'm pursuing. He asks me whether the salary and location are okay; I say yes. He asks whether he can set me up with a phone interview tomorrow with a member of the company; I say yes. Then he sends me an interview confirmation email and attached in it a more complete description of the job. The more complete description has a lot of bullet points that are specific technical skills that I don't have. I'm not sure how the recruiter got the idea that I would be good for this job. Now I'm scared about this phone interview being a complete disaster.

I've had this experience as well. Extremely frustrating. I think that some poor recruiters don't pay very close attention to candidate resumes and just throw as many against the wall to see what sticks.

It can never hurt to interview. If the interview doesn't work out, so be it. At least it's practice.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

694 posts, read 949,839 times
Let's be realistic here-the job description that company slaps together is very often a wish list and any normal manager knows that he is never going to find someone who meets 100% criteria, what they are hoping for is that you fit like 70% and then are smart enough to grasp the other 30. If you have been selected for the phone interview, this is a good sign, now, your goal is to turn the phone interview into the face to face meeting, do before the person on the other end of the line hangs up the phone, say something like "It sound like a terrific opportunity and I am sure that the relationship will be mutually beneficial because I can bring A,B,C to the table and really would like to learn the X, Y, Z in this position, when do you think we can meet in person?" If they are reluctant to commit on the date, press them a bit, say something like "I am currently interviewing in other places, but really like this opportunity a lot and don't want to miss out on it, is there anything else that I can do now to convince you to meet me in person?". Trust me, that works-I nailed a face to face after a phone interview and my toddler was screaming in the background, the guy was clearly not happy about it, but I pressed him.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,787,815 times
Believe it or not -- but there really are some hiring managers who will hire someone based upon their potential to learn skills X, Y, and Z. It's rare, but happens.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 AM

12,116 posts, read 9,870,711 times
Recruiters are paid on commission. They are salespeople. They need a person to fill the job, so they will try to sell you.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,376,202 times
Frustrating but won't hurt to improve interview skills by doing it.

Plus- you might be the most qualified candidate they find and may train you or have a lead on another position for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM

15,753 posts, read 14,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Recruiters are paid on commission. They are salespeople. They need a person to fill the job, so they will try to sell you.
Low level recruiters. (There are some search firms that are paid a fee to find the right candidate.)

Old 01-31-2014, 06:11 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,647,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post

Don't worry about not being a good fit, or anything else really. If the employer has your resume and wishes to speak to you, that means they don't think the gap is insurmountable.

Take the interview. If they ask you about things you know nothing about. Just say, "sorry, I have no experience in that area."

The worst that can happen is that you get interview experience.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,893,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Don't worry about not being a good fit, or anything else really. If the employer has your resume and wishes to speak to you, that means they don't think the gap is insurmountable.
This^^^^^^^^^

I don't see them wasting the time for a phone interview for someone they deem completely unqualified. Trust me, the person conducting the interview already has your resume and green lighted the recruiter to send the rest of the stuff and set the appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search