Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM

109 posts, read 325,502 times

Advertisements

I overheard a young lady today at the DOL Workforce center telling the receptionist that she can't find any jobs because she had shoplifted before and that she needed help.

I wonder if she has any chance at all for finding a job. Maybe not a retail store or a warehouse but anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
The title of this thread amuses me. It is as if you are torn between a future abusing drugs or shoplifting, you simply have not yet decided what you are going to do.

Shoplifting is usually a misdemeanor, and depending on background checks may not even be caught. Many places won't care, although you are correct, the world of retail is going to be tough for her to break into.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The title of this thread amuses me. It is as if you are torn between a future abusing drugs or shoplifting, you simply have not yet decided what you are going to do.

Shoplifting is usually a misdemeanor, and depending on background checks may not even be caught. Many places won't care, although you are correct, the world of retail is going to be tough for her to break into.
You got a fish's brain no doubt. Because I am not sure how you got that idea. I never shoplifted nor even smoked a cigarette in my life let alone use a drug and I doubt I will do either in the future. I was just curious about HER future.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,707 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. Shoplifting is a misdemeanor if it's under $200. Above that then it's a felony.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
You got a fish's brain no doubt. Because I am not sure how you got that idea. I never shoplifted nor even smoked a cigarette in my life let alone use a drug and I doubt I will do either in the future. I was just curious about HER future.
Relax. I was simply commenting on your amusingly titled thread, not casting aspersions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Not necessarily. Shoplifting is a misdemeanor if it's under $200. Above that then it's a felony.
I did say usually. The limit varies by jurisdiction. In NY it is still petit larceny, which is a misdemeanor, if the goods have a retail value of less than $1000.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Not all drugs are felonies, depends on how much etc. If you are busted and charged with a felony for drugs it is going to be very very hard finding work. The only success people I have heard of that had problems with felony drug offenses is when they get help from church members or family members that can set them up with a job.

Shoplifting, although a lesser charge than drugs mostly, is still a very very hard thing to sell to a potential employer.

Many employers will not be in a situation where they have to really rely on a shoplifter or drugy for work, they can simply throw out the application/resume and keep looking, especially in this day and age when there are hundreds/thousands of applicants.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
They are both bad. Theft would probably be considered worse because you are violating someone else and, possibly, also violating a position of trust.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They are both bad. Theft would probably be considered worse because you are violating someone else and, possibly, also violating a position of trust.
It makes sense. I threw drug abuse out there because it seems more common than shop lifting not that I know the stats or anything. At least where I live it is high.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,316 times
Quote:
I went into that direction too, fishbrains... LOL We have been reading too many, "Should I paint my living room green or blue?" type posts here in CD.. LOL

Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 PM

136 posts, read 176,480 times
Drug abuse isn't a crime. Did you mean drug possession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search