U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,804,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangirl32 View Post
randomlikemike. I work in finance, but I am applying to other industries. I will admit that due to my desire to get out of this toxic place, I have turned in my application for jobs that are a stretch. but for the most part, I am looking at lateral, equitable roles.
I have even increased my odds by applying out of state. I have got a few interviews but not nailed anything.

Thank you for sharing your experience. it makes me feel not alone. I will try to target my job search more.
I feel like out of state applications are a mixed-bag. I would only apply to them if I had relevant experience at a similar company. (ie. I work in data analytics for a managed care organization. The only out of state jobs I would apply for would be similar positions at a competing managed care organization) Otherwise, I feel like it can be a waste of time/resources that could be spent focused on places more likely to hire me (which if it is out of my industry would probably be things that are more local). That's just been my experience on out-of-state applications though. I just feel like with many applications taking half an hour to do, it's best to use my time most efficiently so I can still focus on doing things that I want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 06:43 AM

914 posts, read 778,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
Employers nowadays have gotten so picky and out of touch that they even can't figure out what they want. I've seen job apps that said you should only have 2-4 years of professional experience, but then want 8 years of consulting with healthcare clients. I get a sense most don't even read what they put as the list of requirements contradict each other, or there are 5 people on the planet that fit their wish list.
You ALMOST brushed the surface of what's going on here.
As a business owner, can I let you...and everyone else here....in on a little secret?

As a business owner (even one such as myself with no employees and NOT hiring, not even advertising as hiring) get INUNDATED with resumes.

The incredible, and even contradictory requirements posted for the job are meant to discourage people from applying, so that fewer resumes are received.

Put yours in, even if you DON'T meet the requirements completely. If you even meet JUST ONE of the requirements, put in your resume. You just might be surprised. because fewer people will have applied for that job - this is strategy on the part of hiring managers, to narrow the pool in the first place.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,462,059 times
Try the group homes....they pay pretty good.

You will work week-end and holidays.......and wipe butts.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM

By the way, another hint for you...from an employer.

For those who follow my above advice, and submit a resume even though you don't meet all the qualifications that were listed:

When the interviewer asks you why you applied for the job even though you do not have X, Y, or Z...he's giving you an opening. Talk about the OTHER things that you have, the unique qualities YOU have to bring to the table. He's giving you a chance to sell yourself...without telling you that is what he is doing.

He wants to see if you will take the opportunity.

Try to tie the quality you then speak of...into something that is helpful to the company.

Likewise, if he asks you about hobbies...this is an opening...and a way of feeling you out.

You might say something like, "Well, I have always enjoyed coin collecting, because it appeals to my meticulous, detail-oriented nature."

Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,322,630 times
To the OP, pay particularly close attention to Kalisiin on this one. I'm glad someone brought this up.

After my business failed, I applied and got a couple offers for jobs that I barely qualified for. In engineering, particularly structural, there are a lot of young hot shots out there that have very impressive resumes. They also have plenty of internships in the industry. And that was exactly my weakness. I went in with zero internship experience. In fact, I went in with zero structural work experience. Just a freagin' masters.

My interviewers were blunt about this, too. When they confronted me about my lack of experience in the industry, I told them yes I lack the experience in the industry but I have plenty of other experience, which proves versatility. I also took the opportunity to demonstrate my technical skills.

The company I ended up working for hired 2 of us, me and one of the young hot shots with lots of internship experiences. They ended up firing him because he couldn't do the job. Interpret that how you will.

Don't get discouraged by all the things you're not qualified for.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,485,650 times
If you want a job, you can do practice interviews with 20 people every week. That's all it is. Easy peasy.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you want a job, you can do practice interviews with 20 people every week. That's all it is. Easy peasy.
This is important, too. But you need to practice with someone who is going to ask the tough questions...so that you have a chance to prepare your answers.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,485,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
This is important, too. But you need to practice with someone who is going to ask the tough questions...so that you have a chance to prepare your answers.
I had the awesome opportunity to take a career skills class from a charity. It had students in their 30's-50's, who had been making poverty wages. We did 20-30 practice interviews each week with volunteers and each other. Within 3-4 months, everybody had new jobs. That's over 100 people beating out the competition. Most people didn't have degrees.

Personally, I had job offers for a $12.5 and a $25k raise even though I had no degree. One girl went from $14 to $18/hr. We averaged a 40% increase salary and had no problems.

Those are amazing results in the middle of the Great Recession. Most people only practice alone or a few friends. If I do what most others do, I won't be any better than most people.

If I do more practice interviews than most people, then I will get better results than most people.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I had the awesome opportunity to take a career skills class from a charity. It had students in their 30's-50's, who had been making poverty wages. We did 20-30 practice interviews each week with volunteers and each other. Within 3-4 months, everybody had new jobs. That's over 100 people beating out the competition. Most people didn't have degrees.

Personally, I had job offers for a $12.5 and a $25k raise even though I had no degree. One girl went from $14 to $18/hr. We averaged a 40% increase salary and had no problems.

Those are amazing results in the middle of the Great Recession. Most people only practice alone or a few friends. If I do what most others do, I won't be any better than most people.

If I do more practice interviews than most people, then I will get better results than most people.
True. But the practice interview does you no good if you are practice interviewing with a friend or family member that will only lob you softballs.
You need someone who is going to ask the hard questions, the ones you actually will get - and to do it unexpectedly - so that you're properly prepared for the real interview.

It seems to me that the model you used, would be very beneficial in communities across this entire country. could you share some details of what charity did this, and what costs were involved, and what exercises were done?

It would seem you had a phenomenal success rate with your program. I suspect a lot of people out there could use such a program.
Personally, my advantage is being a small business owner, and owning my own business. However, I have to take job interviews all the time. It's called trying to get new clients!

The only difference is - I have the luxury of doing this only when I want to - others out there who are unemployed don't have that particular luxury. And I always COULD hire someone else to do it FOR me.

In fact, I would not even mind getting some such person on a commission basis with residuals. The ideal candidate in my case would be a recently unemployed pharmaceutical rep. That's the sort of person who has what I need. That's a person who already HAS working relationships with doctor's offices, medical knowledge, terminology knowledge - and, more to the point, knows the language that doctors and medical office managers speak - which is a very different language than is spoken in other professions. those in the medical and medical support fields will know what I mean.

And that is something for the potential job seeker to consider, as well. If you are a recent grad, looking to break into a field...try to find some professionals already employed in the field you are seeking to get in - and talk with them. Give yourself every possible edge. Oh, and avoid name-dropping. Unless you are totally sure the person you name

A - is going to know you right off the top of their head and
B - will speak well of you.

Because if you drop a name with me, in an interview - the first thing I'm probably going to do is ask that person about you. And if they have to search their minds for who you are, that tells me what I want to know.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,869,574 times
I always figured that if you landed the interview, then you were qualified for the job.

If the interviewer states that you're not qualified, then you didn't want to work for an idiot that wastes company time anyway.

Or your time, for that matter.

I'm with MSChemist all the way on this one.......

The hiring process is overfilled with psychobabble, HR wannabes that don't have a clue about how the real world is, and hiring managers that have trouble tying their shoes.

I have played this silly little interview game since 1982; nothing much has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or