U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 545,109 times

Advertisements

I keep track of all my job application history in detail. My number of "unsuccessful" applications just surpassed 90 in a search that began January 2013. I get a pretty good response rate and a good number of interviews since I am highly qualified in my field, but the numbers game just hasn't worked in my favor yet. The search might be shorter for some, but you really have to be persistent. The struggle to be positive happens to most of us, but at the end of the day, I realize that the "process" is about so much more than my own qualifications. I've read MSchemist80's posts on this a lot in this forum and can definitely agree with his views on it from my own experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:21 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,466,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
True. But the practice interview does you no good if you are practice interviewing with a friend or family member that will only lob you softballs.

You need someone who is going to ask the hard questions, the ones you actually will get - and to do it unexpectedly - so that you're properly prepared for the real interview.

It seems to me that the model you used, would be very beneficial in communities across this entire country. could you share some details of what charity did this, and what costs were involved, and what exercises were done?

It would seem you had a phenomenal success rate with your program. I suspect a lot of people out there could use such a program.
We had volunteers, such as accountants and lawyers, as career mentors. The students included mostly low income participants such as immigrants, single mothers, college dropouts etc.

Class was free. We would would interview with the mentors and switch every 10-15 minutes. At the end of each interview, we were critiqued on our resume and interview. We would write down the critique and areas for improvement.

Students would interview each other.

We would also do speed interview sessions for 2-3 hours. You throw 15-20 students in a room with 15-20 interviewers and a timer for 10 minutes. At the end of the timer, we had 2 minute discussion. Each interview, we would receive an evaluation sheet with 5 objectives and section for interviewer notes. This was very helpful. At first, I would remember only 1-2 objectives. By the end of round, I could remember all 5 objectives.

One of the most important objectives was addressing any doubts, before you leave. When we are prompted for questions, we would "Based on our discussions today, are there any concerns I can address for you regarding my ability to perform in this role?"

Many people don't know why the interview did not work out. You get the interviewer to bring it out into the open. Then, you can properly address their concerns. When you do it in practice interviews, you may find the same issue come up over and over again. You got to let the skunk out of the room. In others words, you have to clear the air, before you finish the interview.

That's just one of the basic objectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or