Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times

Advertisements

Shoplifting would lead an employer to conclude that you can't be trusted around money. And since most employees have some sort of access to things of financial value in an office...that's a problem. So yes, I think shoplifting's a pretty bad thing to have on a resume. But it depends. If you were some teenager and you did it once...that might be chalked up to a dumb mistake, a youthful moment. But the further past 18 you get, the worse that offense looks. Drugs? Pfff, this country loves drugs. We just pretend like we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 AM

109 posts, read 325,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Drug abuse isn't a crime. Did you mean drug possession?
It is not a crime but when you take your urine test and it shows up positive, will they hire you?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 AM

109 posts, read 325,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Shoplifting would lead an employer to conclude that you can't be trusted around money. And since most employees have some sort of access to things of financial value in an office...that's a problem. So yes, I think shoplifting's a pretty bad thing to have on a resume. But it depends. If you were some teenager and you did it once...that might be chalked up to a dumb mistake, a youthful moment. But the further past 18 you get, the worse that offense looks. Drugs? Pfff, this country loves drugs. We just pretend like we don't.
Isn't it a hypocrisy when the execs do coke but get you to take a urine test to see if you are using any so that they can discriminate you?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
Isn't it a hypocrisy when the execs do coke but get you to take a urine test to see if you are using any so that they can discriminate you?
Please...anyone that can't pass a urine drug screen has bigger issues. You know when you fill out the application that you're likely to get tested...You have enough time to study for the test. And the top level execs go through a much tougher background check than you can imagine.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
You got a fish's brain no doubt. Because I am not sure how you got that idea. I never shoplifted nor even smoked a cigarette in my life let alone use a drug and I doubt I will do either in the future. I was just curious about HER future.
Wow. I call unnecessary snarkiness...

She may be able to get the shoplifting expunged off her record.

As an employer, I wouldn't hire her over either one. Equally bad in my book.

I don't care what people do in their off-time. But, if the drugs/alcohol show up on a report - then we got a problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

As an employer, I wouldn't hire her over either one. Equally bad in my book.

I don't care what people do in their off-time. But, if the drugs/alcohol show up on a report - then we got a problem.
Same here, both are fatal flaws for a background check, especially when there are still many other qualified candidates without those problems.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would not hire either one. I don't need an employee who thinks it is OK to pilfer the inventory or steal from my customers.

The druggy has probably commited worse crimes than shoplifting. Statistically, drug abuse and crime go hand in hand. Also, a stoned employee might do something to involve me in a lawsuit. So, I will pass.

The shoplifter could get a job like auto mechanic where she has no access to money and mechanics own their own tools. If she tried to steal another mechanic's tools, she'd get a severe beat down and probably wouldn't try it again.

There are jobs where the employees don't interact with the customers and own their own tools, so shoplifting would not be a problem getting that job. However, they generally don't hire druggies, except maybe in construction.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
not trying to be a buzz kill, but when it comes to a Clearance or a position of "trust" they are "Red Flags".

Working for the Govt, state and city is out of the question, you can throw in any company along the lines, say the pharmaceutical industry and companies like Marriott International or the Hyatt who all have polices that throw up "Red Flags" when it comes to a Clearance that checks the background concerning- Integrity, Honesty, Respect, and Honor.

The word Addiction, Drug use or possession of any kind gets you sent down to wash out lane faster then a jack rabbit on a date, and the shoplifting charge goes against Integrity when it comes to the Govt, even though some of our politicians eventually break the laws themselves, it sucks, but you're looking at the top two charges that will get you a one way ticket down wash out lane.

A simple fact!!

Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
.......the world of retail is going to be tough for her to break into.
Not if she has a good set of burglar tools! Ba dump dump!

And i am amazed also that folks think they can be so dishonest and yet retailers are supposed to give them access to their inventory. I suppose they see the liars in politics getting away with murder, literally, and figure it will fly in the private sector. Retailers have enough going against them with out the "inside job" criminals stealing from them.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
actually in some states like NY i think its illegal to inquire into an addiction problem per se unless the actual criminal report indicates the sentence received pertaining to the conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search