U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,122 times

Advertisements

Hop on Google and learn to do web development.

find a way to get a cheap tool kit and offer assembly for furniture

If possible invest in getting a box truck and offer to deliver stuff( My Dad does this on the side)

Find someone with a trade and have them mentor you.

Learn some kind of welding.

You gotta be creative sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 AM

4,984 posts, read 5,061,465 times
Were I young (and/or likable) I would look into A Modest Proposal to Transition to a "Cater to the Rich" Economy, for very real. Forget about the jobs catering to peasants. Leave army -to-skilled trades-to-early-grave route for the losers. Search for the businesses catering to the rich in your area and beg them to take you on board in any capacity, being young and likable is all you need in some cases.

New York University economics professor Andrew Caplin calls for workers to put their stakes in a "cater to the rich" economy.(1) According to Caplin, growing inequality is a fact of life in the future of the US and global economy - "some people will succeed and others will not." Rather than judging this to be bad or good, the poor and middle class would do best by trying to "understand the needs" of the wealthy and attempting to provide services to meet their demands.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
I'm 20, and due to my lack of skills and experience, I am only qualified for retail/customer service jobs. My last job was in November working in a retail store, and it was a seasonal position, but after 3 weeks I was informed that I was no longer needed, and since then I've been unemployed again. It's been about 2 months, I've applied to about 30+ positions, and attended 2 open houses, and still haven't received a single call back, It's really discouraging. Since I'm only qualified for retail my options are quite limited, and believe me, I have experience, I have a good resume, I dress presentably, yet I'm still not getting any calls back for interviews. I'm growing discouraged, but I won't lose hope because I know I need a job and I'm determined to find one. I just feel like I don't know the right approach anymore? I'm just not getting contacted for interviews despite applying to so many stores, and I feel like I could be out there working and having a job, but instead I'm forced to sit home and waste away unemployed, and feeling useless? There has to be more to life thahmmn this, I'm sure? I want a job, I'm ready to work, I'm ready to offer my skills to someone, but nobody is willing to hire me, so instead I'm stuck in this position and it totally sucks.
This may sound like an Editor Nazi remark, but it's really not. In your post, you toss in random question marks at the end of sentences that aren't questions. Do you TALK like that? Some young people do, and it's annoying as all hell. Check yourself and be honest as to how you present yourself and sound to others.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-24-2014 at 04:55 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,558,499 times
Join the military and get some training and go to school

Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,379,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Ding Ding
Ding........We have a winner.......!!!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,880,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Were I young (and/or likable) I would look into A Modest Proposal to Transition to a "Cater to the Rich" Economy, for very real. Forget about the jobs catering to peasants. Leave army -to-skilled trades-to-early-grave route for the losers. Search for the businesses catering to the rich in your area and beg them to take you on board in any capacity, being young and likable is all you need in some cases.

New York University economics professor Andrew Caplin calls for workers to put their stakes in a "cater to the rich" economy.(1) According to Caplin, growing inequality is a fact of life in the future of the US and global economy - "some people will succeed and others will not." Rather than judging this to be bad or good, the poor and middle class would do best by trying to "understand the needs" of the wealthy and attempting to provide services to meet their demands.
LMAO! I thought you were serious ... start or join an upscale niche business! Then I read the article you linked to ... instead become a slave and work for food and shelter! Great tongue in cheek article! God help America if we go back to that (slavery)!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 PM

8,243 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Start your own business. IT's not rocket science and every community has a county office that can give advice about any permits you need. There are ALWAYS people who need help with landscaping, or housework. I know people who got started by going around their neighborhoods leaving flyers and had more work than they could handle. Military is a good option too. Air Force and Coast Guard are easier to adjust to than the Marines. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM

93 posts, read 160,027 times
Please stop mentioning Military people. Absolutely not. Not a suggestion. Just please don't mention it at all.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Military isn't for everyone.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 6,577,228 times
I agree with the suggestion about waiting tables. You can make decent money and also if you decide to go to school it is easy to work around school schedule. Another thought was at a hotel front desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or