U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
By the time I was 20 I had worked in an amusement park, fast food, a flower shop, a veterinary clinic, as an accounts receivible clerk, moved fro CA to HI on my own and worked in sales, the tourist industry, and then landed my dream job. What is holding you back?
You think I had training and experience at 16? What I DID have was drive and work ethic. I was open to try anything and usually worked several jobs at a time.
Something you said sticks out to me. It was the way the way you dismissed people suggesting the Military. You didn't dismiss the idea of joining the military as much as you did the people trying to help you. If you're taking that same dismissives attitude with you to an interview or if it shows on your resume that could be part of your problem.
Work ethic and drive isn't good enough anymore. You have it but so does the other 200 people applying for the job. The conservative punchline is a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,428,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Work ethic and drive isn't good enough anymore. You have it but so does the other 200 people applying for the job. The conservative punchline is a failure.
It's soooooo easy to post some one-line nonsensical response. Pft. And THEN what. After you climb down off of your high horse and run out of excuses, THEN WHAT are you suggesting the OP DO? If it really is so much harder to get a job you are going to have to figure a way to make yourself stand out. How about a good attitude, eager to learn new skills, willing to do the grunt work, informed about the company interviewing you and applying the information you have to engage the interviewer in a meaniful dialogue. You can't just sit there and wait for them to offer you a job. COMPATIBILITY is a HUGE factor in being employable.

This does not allude to compatibility at all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox
Please stop mentioning Military people. Absolutely not. Not a suggestion. Just please don't mention it at all.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You can have all the drive and work ethic you want. If you don't have the credentials that will mean precisely d*** to any future employers.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,779 times
Some of us are applying for grunt jobs, in my case I have to because that's all I'm qualified for. It gets tiring filling out online applications and never hearing a word, then seeing the same job reposted over and over (WTF is going on). Or going on an interview and being told they will let me know, and they don't. Or "following up" with a manager and being yelled at for calling when supposedly this is what you have to do. The next time someone in real life says go apply at MCD's I'm going to logon and show them I already filled it out. Wake up, and stop covering up for what employers are doing. I'll take any job someone offers me, but the offers aren't there unless they are 50 miles away. Might take me a day or 2 to get there by bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or