U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2014, 07:06 AM
 
9 posts, read 51,054 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a legal immigrant.i got arrested for shoplifting last year.i am on pretrial diversion now.i fulfilled all the conditions of pretrial diversion.just waiting for case dismissal.

I can't tell how much i am devastated with this.it was a stupid stupid mistake.i am suffering the repercussions. i have learnt my lesson.i just hope & pray that god forgives me for my sin.

I am a med student getting ready to join medical residency.i am studying for my boards .
I have a legal work authorization document.

I am in need of a job.i am going through a rough phase in my life.i need to fund myself for exams.my marital life is not great because of the case.nothing is going right.

My questions are-

1) where & how can i apply for jobs? My back ground check report will obviously show that i have charges & was arrested.thankfully not convicted.
What can i do to overcome this obstacle?

2) in future when i apply for graduate medical residency programs, will this case affect my admission process in spite of case dismissal??

What about other graduate programs? How will this case affect those admissions??

I am working very hard to get through the exams, especially in such rough phase of my life.the exams are very very tough...& expensive also.

With the current scenario ..my spouse is not able to support me.i need to,have to support my self.

Please suggest me,help me with something..


Also,if i want apply for research related part time jobs in hospitals, medical care facilities..how should i approach them?

Is there any chance for me ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
 
9 posts, read 51,054 times
Reputation: 10
52 views..& not a single reply..folks..please help me, suggest me something..

My head is bursting .. thinking & thinking..kindly somebody please suggest me something..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,099 posts, read 2,898,148 times
Reputation: 981
Pretrial means no conviction. It depends on the employer, but I would guess that you would be OK.

It will still show up on a background check, but in the check the coding of "Pretrial Intervention" should come up. It looks much better than the charges still pending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
 
149 posts, read 301,316 times
Reputation: 100
What state do you live in? Do you live in a "ban the box" state? A ban the box state is where they cannot ask you if you have been arrested on a job application. In my state, Massachusetts, only CONVICTIONS show up on a background check. Like, if I got arrested, and was never convicted of anything - it would not show up on a background check. Also, is your shoplifting a misdemeanor? If it's just a misdemeanor, that also would not appear on a background check (in Massachusetts, may be different in other states).

It may be worth spending the $25 to do a CORI check on yourself. I think CORI is a Massachusetts term, but google this for your own state.

Also, relax. Shoplifting is not armed robbery. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
 
1,305 posts, read 1,320,582 times
Reputation: 1364
You need to tell us what state you are in. Each state is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
 
9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
Reputation: 18459
Depending on the state, you can probably file for expungement or non disclosure, which will prevent civilian employers and background checkers from having access to your record. Without that, your theft arrest is still public record and it will make things very difficult for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 PM
 
149 posts, read 301,316 times
Reputation: 100
...which is why some states are "Ban the box" states -where they do NOT ask, "Have you ever been arrested?" Completely innocent people get arrested every single day, which is why employers in ban the box states have eliminated the "have you ever been arrested" question. It's not fair to judge someone based off of an arrest they may have been completely innocent in. It is fair to judge someone off an actual conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
Reputation: 15621
Most checks look for convictions, not arrests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM
 
9 posts, read 51,054 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
What state do you live in? Do you live in a "ban the box" state? A ban the box state is where they cannot ask you if you have been arrested on a job application. In my state, Massachusetts, only CONVICTIONS show up on a background check. Like, if I got arrested, and was never convicted of anything - it would not show up on a background check. Also, is your shoplifting a misdemeanor? If it's just a misdemeanor, that also would not appear on a background check (in Massachusetts, may be different in other states).

It may be worth spending the $25 to do a CORI check on yourself. I think CORI is a Massachusetts term, but google this for your own state.

Also, relax. Shoplifting is not armed robbery. :-)

Hi mialia..ThankYou so much for your info.i live in Texas. When i talked to my lawyer i was told that the case will be dismissed.till then it will show up as pending charges. After that it's obviously case dismissed...my lawyer told that...if ever i am asked ..i should agree that i was arrested,charges still pending or charges dismissed depending on the status quo..

Yes..it was a misdeamenor B...

Thanks for being supportive..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM
 
6,473 posts, read 10,421,786 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immifriend2014 View Post
Hi all,
I am a legal immigrant.i got arrested for shoplifting last year.i am on pretrial diversion now.i fulfilled all the conditions of pretrial diversion.just waiting for case dismissal.

I can't tell how much i am devastated with this.it was a stupid stupid mistake.i am suffering the repercussions. i have learnt my lesson.i just hope & pray that god forgives me for my sin.

I'm sorry, but....LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Stop it will you. The prosecutor and judge aren't reading your posts.



Quote:
I am a med student getting ready to join medical residency.i am studying for my boards .
I have a legal work authorization document.

I am in need of a job.i am going through a rough phase in my life.i need to fund myself for exams.my marital life is not great because of the case.nothing is going right.

My questions are-

1) where & how can i apply for jobs? My back ground check report will obviously show that i have charges & was arrested.thankfully not convicted.
What can i do to overcome this obstacle?
Sign up for a job at Walmart or McDonalds. I'm serious. They hire felons all the time, so you should be a walk in the park for them.

Thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top