U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,477,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its cute how optimistic college students are about landing a job right out of college.
Plenty of students land jobs even before college. They start applying now and not waiting until after graduation to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,274 times
Also if you are interested in getting a government job you may want to start the process now, it can take several months to get through their process for some positions

Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 376 times
Went through this 2 years ago and this is how I approached it:
1. Determined ideal job based upon what I loved and what I had experienced (internships, jobs, job shadowing, etc)
2. Found mentors (~15) through career center and Linkedin in the area
3. Started talking with them and did side projects for startups and on my own while getting feedback from mentors (show them how I worked and gt time to see what they were like)
4. Identified open positions with large companies that fit my criteria
5. Incorporate mentors into job search and ask if they could provide introductions to hiring manager (these were all with small to medium companies)
6. Apply for all jobs at same time
7. Took a month and a half to apply, interview and make decision. Asked each company that gave me an offer to give me 2 weeks to decide (they all said yes).
8. Weighed offered positions with those my mentors helped line up for me
9. Made decision in March, graduated in May, and started at beginning of June
10. Worked for the company for 2 years and transferred into a much more senior role with one of the companies run by one of my mentors
11. Going to start my own company with the help from all original mentors

Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM

646 posts, read 749,966 times
Is it normal to accept a job offer, but then decline before even starting it if something better comes along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search