U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 PM

294 posts, read 373,022 times

Advertisements

Some recruiters (not all) lie because they're trying to keep a pool of people available to work. If they have 5 spots to fill, they'll tell 10 people they have the job in case a few of those find other work. If they were completely honest and told 5 people they had the job and the other 5 that they're backups, the backups are certainly going to look for work elsewhere. Recruiters don't care if all those backups stop looking for work elsewhere because of this and end up getting screwed over in the end.

Be very careful about what people promise you if it's not in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,167,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A temp can go out on an assignment and do everything right and the agency will always side with the company if there is an issue. It could be the onsite manager just doesn't like the way the temp looks and makes up an excuse about their performance.

I know someone who showed up at an assignment when it was clear the company wasn't ready for them. Didn't even have a place for them to sit, had them clean out a conference room, sent them home at 1pm for two days in a row. They get a call from the temp agency not to go back tomorrow as their "computer skills" weren't up to par. This was supposed to be a two month assignment and when they tried to explain to the temp agency they didn't even touch a computer it fell on deaf ears. Clearly the company brought on a temp before they were ready, but it was easier to blame the temp and poor computer skills.

If your friend was told the assignment was ending earlier, why didn't she ask about being placed elsewhere? Is she registered with more than one agency?

It is a nice way to do business, no it isn't, but that is how temp agencies work.
That reminds me of some of the horror stories I've had with those places,including getting blacklisted from the entire chain for calling out once for car problems!?!...What morons.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
its not necessarily the recruiter, the company can decide they dont need the extra help early.
Very true. I remember one time I showed up for the first day on the assignment and they turned me away at the door...well at least I got paid the minimum 4 hours;

Old 01-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Some recruiters (not all) lie because they're trying to keep a pool of people available to work. If they have 5 spots to fill, they'll tell 10 people they have the job in case a few of those find other work. If they were completely honest and told 5 people they had the job and the other 5 that they're backups, the backups are certainly going to look for work elsewhere. Recruiters don't care if all those backups stop looking for work elsewhere because of this and end up getting screwed over in the end.
True also. It took awhile for me to stop being a sucker and responding to their 'cattle call' ads in the Sunday classifieds,the ones that have all those (potential) jobs listed,only to take up half a day filling out their paperwork and taking their 'testing' only to be handed a business card and told to check in once a week...once a week? What happened to all those 'jobs' you were looking to fill?...

Old 01-25-2014, 12:48 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,532,111 times
Assuming this thread is about a temp agency and a temp worker working at a client for that temp agency (this is what I do), it is well-accepted that temp assignments can end without notice simply because that is what the client wants and IS the nature of the beast of temp work.

To be surprised when it happens is incorrect on the part of the worker.

Having typed that, a temp agency lives or dies by how many temps they can place in paying jobs. Often (albeit admittedly depending on the field of work) a temp agency REALLY doesn't want to lose a "proven" worker; they want that worker to leave one client and move right into another client.

So, assuming the reason for the contract end is just standard stuff (as opposed to the client wanting the particular worker out for not-necessarily-good reasons), ask the temp agency to assign you to another client ASAP. They love money, you are probably LOTS of money to them money, they WANT to assign you somewhere else.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:29 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,910 times
Recruiters primarily represent their client base. In cases where you have some mileage with them (saved an account; known for helping another client, making the recruiter look good) you may get some consideration. Recruiters are also driven by their client base: if the client is confused, isn't planning, and is reacting then that transfers to your recruiter. And then to you.

Sometimes that works for you and gets you in the door.
It's not so much lying as not prepping you on the whole picture.
I've noticed in the last few years certain national level agencies have a very clear "profile" that they are looking for,
and if you don't fit that you might be wasting your time.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:45 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,856,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
She was looking. Didn't you read the OP where I said she has been sending out resume?

Man, you guys are cold blooded and heartless.
I don't recall my comment being heartless or cold. I missed that part in the OP. Honest mistake.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,823,688 times
Recall the tale of the scorpion and the frog; it is their nature.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well actually there seems to be a lot you and your friend don't know.

You're confusing recruiters with temp agencies. A temp agency works for the companies they deal with, they could care less about the temp.

A temp can go out on an assignment and do everything right and the agency will always side with the company if there is an issue. It could be the onsite manager just doesn't like the way the temp looks and makes up an excuse about their performance.

I know someone who showed up at an assignment when it was clear the company wasn't ready for them. Didn't even have a place for them to sit, had them clean out a conference room, sent them home at 1pm for two days in a row. They get a call from the temp agency not to go back tomorrow as their "computer skills" weren't up to par. This was supposed to be a two month assignment and when they tried to explain to the temp agency they didn't even touch a computer it fell on deaf ears. Clearly the company brought on a temp before they were ready, but it was easier to blame the temp and poor computer skills.

It is very common for a temp to be told or sometimes called at home to not bother coming back to the assignment tomorrow. It could be for various reasons.

If your friend was told the assignment was ending earlier, why didn't she ask about being placed elsewhere? Is she registered with more than one agency?

It is a nice way to do business, no it isn't, but that is how temp agencies work.

So apparently there is a lot you and your friend don't know about temp agencies.
Actually, there is a lot you don't know as I haven't given all the details of this particular situation. Just the basics. However, since most folk here like being superior know it alls I will decline explaining why the fault lies with the recruiter. Yes, the young lady my friend dealt with is a recruiter. That is her job title and that is what I am going to call her regardless of your supposed knowledge you don't know the details of this situation. Thank you for your reply.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,349 times
Let me repeat....my friend never stopped looking for a full-time permanent job with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search