Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

265 posts, read 409,419 times

Advertisements

because lying pays the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Actually, there is a lot you don't know as I haven't given all the details of this particular situation. Just the basics. However, since most folk here like being superior know it alls I will decline explaining why the fault lies with the recruiter. Yes, the young lady my friend dealt with is a recruiter. That is her job title and that is what I am going to call her regardless of your supposed knowledge you don't know the details of this situation. Thank you for your reply.
No one is being "superior".

I get the feeling you and your friend are young and don't know the ropes. Several people have tried to point out to since you seem very naïve as to how temp agencies work.

You didn't get the pity party you wanted but instead the truth and that annoys you.

A temp agency works for the company, not the temp. They're only concern is filling a position. They have no loyalty to the temp. An assignment can end earlier than expected for various reasons. For your friend to be caught so "off guard" would indicate she is new to the workforce.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
Quote:
Actually, there is a lot you don't know as I haven't given all the details of this particular situation. Just the basics. However, since most folk here like being superior know it alls I will decline explaining why the fault lies with the recruiter. Yes, the young lady my friend dealt with is a recruiter. That is her job title and that is what I am going to call her regardless of your supposed knowledge you don't know the details of this situation. Thank you for your reply.
Recruiters lie. That's what they do. One time, I was supposed to interview with a bank for an administrative position but the recruiter called and said the company decided to hold off hiring.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
In my experience recruiters and politicians make good bedfellows.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
Quote:
If you don't give people "all the details of this particular situation," you can't expect their replies to satisfy you. Perhaps you need to explain further.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:02 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
A temp is often hired for the following reasons.

1: Someone is out on sick leave, and need their position filled so a temp is hired. That person is released back from sick leave by the doctor a month earlier than was expected. Person back to work temp gone.

2: Work falls behind, and they bring in a temp to help them catch up. Temp and regular employees catch work up, so the Temp is gone.

3: They have a new employee expected to go to work on certain day so a temp is brought in till they are at work. Something happens and they can go to work sooner, so temp has to go. That is what a temp is, to fill in as needed for just as long as needed and not a moment longer than needed.

On the other hand, some temps hired for a few days, are still there 2 years later, and a fair portion of them become permanent employees.

4: The temp is not working out the way they were hoping, and as it is just a temp position they are not going to give them the training needed to do the work properly, so temp is gone.

There are many reasons that a temp is let go quicker than they had been told they would be finishing the temp position. A temp is a short term employee, and they are always subject to being let go at a moment's notice.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
Ok here it is. Temp or permanent job most everyone is day to day. Job security is no more. As for temp positions always work with more than one agency and never get comfortable. It's a cold reality but in the big picture the temp agencies don't care about you.

With some cases a person can't even apply directly with a company the temp agency has a contract with. To employ you the company has to buy you out from the agency. At least your not on a auction block.

Just tell your friend to ask for another assignment and sign up with more companies until she finds something better. Even once that happens don't get too comfortable.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM

464 posts, read 803,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynottellit View Post
Recruiters & temp agencies often do not know all the details, but most are so poorly organized (and qualified) they forget a person they talked with just a few days ago. For the most part, between them and an employer using "temp" labor; you are doomed from the start because neither one has anyone's interest at heart but their own. Each day a temp goes home thinking they have a job tomorrow is a day they should consider themselves as having "beat the odds". Temp employers and agencies alike, each consider themselves "removed" for the worker. It make it easier for them to lie, mirepresent or just play dumb. It makes it easier to use people.
This is an EXCELLENT explanation! Spot on!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM

140 posts, read 255,058 times
Years ago, "temp agencies" like Kelly Temps, Manpower, Thomas Temps, sent you on a job and you usually were told a general idea of how long the job would last. Most of the time, it was an honest assessment. Occasionally, you'd start a job, and the employer would change the hours and the length of the job after you started working. It was frustrating, to say the least, because when you take a temp job, an "assignment", they used to call it, you give your word that you'll see it through to the end, unless there is an intolerable situation, or the job details were not accurate, i.e. all you do is file when you were told you'd be a secretary or data entry clerk. The difference between then and now is that the agency sent you and you started working right away. You were not "interviewed" along with several other agency employees. You accepted the job and started work. Period. I see that another person posted that when you work temp, you should still look for another job. HOWEVER, there are two reasons this is not possible: #1 - if you work 8-5, Monday thru Friday, you are not available to interview for other jobs. #2 - when you accept a temp assignment, you agree to stay until the assignment ends.

It seems to be very different today. Temp agencies are now called "staffing agencies" - and you have to INTERVIEW for temporary jobs!! I signed with one recently and they strung me along for 3 months. They'd email or call and ask me if I wanted to interview for a certain job and I'd say yes, and then I'd never hear from them again. The ONE interview they sent me on was for a part-time, "temp to perm" position - it would start part-time, but after 90 days would go permanent, full-time - or so the agency said. The minute I sat down at the interview the employers told me it was probably not going to be a permanent job, nor would it EVER be full-time. They asked if I would be willing to give up my job search for a permanent full-time job while working part-time for them for 3 months - and of course I said NO. How could I do that? Stop looking for full-time permanent work because I was working a temporary, part-time job???? But this was the agency's fault. I eventually got the impression that this agency quite often sends several applicants to a job interview, but the applicants are carefully selected. The majority of the applicants are "throw aways" - people the agency KNOWS won't be hired because they do not fit the bill. Then there is the ONE, maybe TWO applicants that DO fit the bill - and with a selection of so many applicants that are not appropriate, the employer for sure will pick the only one that is what they are looking for. WHY would an agency send people on an interview for a job they KNOW the applicant cannot accept? The day of that interview I mentioned, I heard another agency employee telling the job recruiter that she needed full-time work and THAT employer wasn't even offering that.

When I worked temp years ago, it was a different world. Other than a week or two here and there, the agencies had almost constant work for me. If a job ended up being misrepresented by the employer, I called the agency and told them, finished out the day, and the next day, they had a new assignment for me. I was respected by the temp agency. I was their commodity. I was reliable, friendly and hard-working, as well as skilled and professional. They kept me working as much as I wanted. These days, sad to say, there are SO many people out of work, and employers get to play the game of "only the best will do" - and that includes these so-called staffing agencies. I see job ads online ALL the time, advertising for a receptionist or entry-level clerical job, and they are requiring a BACHELOR'S DEGREE! And they want to pay $10 an hour. It is insulting and disrespectful on oh-so-many levels.

I am unemployed too. I just relocated to a new state. On another thread, a supposed-experienced HR person said she would "never hire someone from another state". All I can do is hope and pray she is not the voice of ALL human resource staff or hiring managers, or it will mean I will NEVER be hired in my new state.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to work through an agency these days. I quit the one agency, and I cannot bring myself to sign on with another one. They all advertise that they have this job or that job, but after you sign up with them and take all of their tests, all the jobs they said they had seem to disappear and the games begin. I don't know whether to be or . Most of the time, I am both.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM

140 posts, read 255,058 times
Sorry - got off the topic of WHY DO RECRUITERS LIE. I should have said that most people lie if it suits them, pays THEIR bills, and/or gets them what THEY want. This is true of most strangers. It shouldn't be true of people who are close to you, but often, that's true, too.

Hopefully, your friend will find a permanent job with an employer who will genuinely care about her, or rather, at least, appreciate her. Staffing agencies, temp agencies, recruiters - whatever you want to call them - in this day and age, just don't give a damn about anyone who signs with them or works for them. The reason: there is someone else coming in tomorrow, just like you (or your friend). It's brutal and it sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search