U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM

74 posts, read 115,846 times

Advertisements

Just for the record, the kind of work I am applying for is your average $12-$14 hr administrative/customer support position in an insurance office. I am worried about what questions they will ask over the phone as my recent work history is sketchy. I keep focusing on the positive years of work history and hoping all will be OK. What do you think?

My past work history is this:

First job: 20 years (Administrative/bookkeeping); left because I felt I wouldn't learn anything new. Was not challenging any more.

Second and current job: almost 2 years and counting (Secretarial/Financial); Still employed but very little hours. I love the job. It is fun, challenging and I feel a great sense of responsibility with it. I feel almost called to do it.

Third job: 3 months; Took this job because I was told an accounting position was coming. Company was acquired and the job was not to be. The position I had was dull and I was not able to utilize my skills.

Fourth job: 4 weeks; I liked what was presented to me in the interview and I looked past the long commute. Until I had to drive every day. It wasn't terribly bad compared to others but for what I was getting paid, it wasn't enough. This was a case of me not thinking it through and jumping on it too quick.

Only the 1st and 2nd job were put on my resume as I learned nothing at the others. There are no gaps in my work history since 1992.

All jobs were left with notice and on good terms. I did my job while there but for various reasons, I needed something better. I'm hoping that I have a little glimmer of hope that those last two blips on my work history will not be the focus of this and future interviews. As I did not fill out a job application, this company does not know about these jobs but if called for a second in-person interview I'm pretty sure I'll have to be honest about them.

Will they ask about my work history over the phone? What kind of questions do they ask and about how long are phone interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 14,035,277 times
It's basic tell me about yourself, 60 seconds or less, tell me about your work history over last 10 years, here's the job desp. and you are free to ask questions.

Once in awhile they will ask STAR based questions, but that's most often F2F

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's basic tell me about yourself, 60 seconds or less, tell me about your work history over last 10 years, here's the job desp. and you are free to ask questions.

Once in awhile they will ask STAR based questions, but that's most often F2F

Would you suggest I disclose my last two (very) short term jobs during this time or stick to just what's on my resume and wait and see if I get a F2F?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 AM

5,253 posts, read 5,179,252 times
When I had a phone interview, I believe they did ask a few questions related to my work history. (Like how long were you there, what did you did, why did you leave, etc.) They also asked me situational questions. One of my questions was asking me how I dealt with some type of potentially negative workplace situation/interaction. Another question was about when I went above and beyond my job duties.

Stick with what is on your resume. They usually have it in front of them as they ask you questions. Plus, you don't need to have any red flags pop up.

I think it was around twenty minutes.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Stick with what is on your resume. They usually have it in front of them as they ask you questions. Plus, you don't need to have any red flags pop up.

I think it was around twenty minutes.
See, those red flags will eventually come up. If I bring up the last few months now, I feel I'm being honest and straightforward, which I hope looks good (although that could backfire). I feel I'm being dishonest by not being upfront about it. If and when I do get a second interview, I most likely will have to complete a job application and I then will have to disclose that information. I mean, is it possible to sell myself in person, even with those black marks???

Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,246,218 times
My phone interviews have either been with HR or management or both. I left a few jobs off of my resume because they weren't relevant to the position. One interview was STAR and I brought up a position not listed on my resume because it was a great example of the situation they were looking for. They didn't even notice or mention it. Had they asked, I would have explained that I didn't think it relevant to the position and that I left on good terms, etc.

As far as the actual phone interview, I have been asked to role play, where the interviewer would be the client and I've had to explain how I'd deal with the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or