U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,298,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Oh yeah, this is absolutely true.

I live relatively close to the Target Corporate headquarters and from what I have read online and heard from people in person-- if you don't fit into their culture, you're out or soon to be out. It doesn't matter if you are very good at your job and perform well or exceed expectations. Target, along with a lot of other companies, set the expectation about the kind of personality you must have to succeed, all the way down to how you dress, wear your hair, or even take your lunch breaks. A lot of workplaces still host high school cliques, but the saying nowadays goes if you want to keep you job join it unless you want to lose your job.
I wonder if this leads to work place violence more than bad pay and firings!

I've had to modify my personality in my workplace as well. Most of the time its fine but I find myself getting unable to do it day after day and I'm afraid I could just blow up from frustration.

Maybe I just haven't found my fit. I'm thinking eventually I'd like to land a nice non-professor university job....academic librarian or instructor in my field, or non faculty in my field. l like to be around people with candor, who are intelligent, and can respectfully disagree with each other without being labelled "difficult" where having an original opinion is generally encouraged.

Let me dream, I'm sure there are people here working at colleges who would tell me the culture is terrible somehow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,621,872 times
I think the whole thing is a huge problem and yeah it basically boils down to a high school clique wanting everyone to conform to and bow down, stroke the ego of the workers already there. This leads to a ton of problems including herd mentality, workplace harassment, and discrimination. If you can't get along with different types of people then maybe you have a problem and some issues with prejudice. This isn't about the applicant, this is about the people that are already there. That's exactly what this is all about. Their issues and lack of ability to get along with people. It's the same as not hiring someone just because of their skin color. Face it.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:18 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,491,763 times
I think this is a great topic, so why not reviving it!

A lot of people refer to competent people as "jerks". I think it is because they perceive them as threat to their careers. And because in comparison to the competent guy's work results their work looks bad. I think this is it. I have never seen a truly competent person who was a jerk too. Usually jerks are from the incompetent and the mediocre types.

The other thing is: I think 99% of the people can easily fit in any reasonable honest culture. This means they would have regular chat, but not too much so some actual work will also be done in the office. So, realistically 99% of the people are a good cultural fit in 99% of the offices. Still hiring managers would reject 99% of the applicants due to "no cultural fit". I think something else must be going on. Maybe some companies have some unreasonable and dishonest culture that require only sociopaths. I dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think the whole thing is a huge problem and yeah it basically boils down to a high school clique wanting everyone to conform to and bow down, stroke the ego of the workers already there. This leads to a ton of problems including herd mentality, workplace harassment, and discrimination. If you can't get along with different types of people then maybe you have a problem and some issues with prejudice.
I think this is very insightful.
It looks like something broken. Maybe highschool teachers or psychologists should train senior management about this topic, so they can implement preventive measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or