U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM

9,024 posts, read 8,443,571 times

Advertisements

I never google or review the facebook posts of applicants. Their personal life is none of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR1984 View Post
The legal action part is the toughest, defamation law suits take years to build up and cost a lot of money.
Yep, they sure can. You have to prove injury in the form of damages, and you have to have actual evidence that something which has been said to a third party is, in fact, injurious and then you have to calculate the actual or assumed costs, plus punitive damages. It's not as simple as taking someone to court. You might be able to score an injunction against the individual offender's website or blog, though it won't necessarily get the information removed from the notoriously large cache.

I'd probably agree that HR or hiring managers would deep six a candidate with negative information on the internet. They may not necessarily believe that's true information, but they're not going to take the chance and risk making a mistake. I don't know what percentage of managers this applies to, but a lot of managers are terrified of making a mistake, and they'll do whatever they can to avoid being put in the position of making one. And hiring the wrong person's a pretty noticeable mistake. People pride themselves on their ability to predict success. When it doesn't materialize, people lose face, or worse. An HR manager is going to err on the side of caution.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 13,228 times
according to what you say above which I am not saying is false, if I hated someone enough I could start a blog, put their name and picture on a post, and just run their name through the ground effectively ruining their lives correct?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,999,634 times
I just don't think your friend has anything to worry about, employers are too busy to check EVERY detail.

If your friend doesn't like it, email the webmaster and threaten to sue for defamation if they don't remove it.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I just don't think your friend has anything to worry about, employers are too busy to check EVERY detail.

If your friend doesn't like it, email the webmaster and threaten to sue for defamation if they don't remove it.
Controversial bloggers thrive off of threats, the man who posted about her is not removing anything. The best source of action is to find a way to get the blog pushed down on google search results but that i sgoing to be tough given that the blog attracts so much traffic and has a sizable following.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,920 times
She could also try to live by the best defense is a good offense mantra and just address the issue when applying. She could come up with a short statement that she puts at the end of her resume that acknowledges the situation and that she is in the process of pursuing legal remedies, possibly a number to a lawyer or a police department where she's filed a complaint. At that point employers are on notice that it is a defamatory posting and it loses it's power

Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM

I wouldn't say anything about it UNLESS an employer asks, putting it on your resume is just begging them to look it up.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I wouldn't say anything about it UNLESS an employer asks, putting it on your resume is just begging them to look it up.
well given that they will come across it if they google her name and there is a chance they reject her based on it, I would think bringing it up is a smart decision

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,116,621 times
No. Bringing it up is a horrible idea.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR1984 View Post
well given that they will come across it if they google her name and there is a chance they reject her based on it, I would think bringing it up is a smart decision
Because EVERY employer googles people?

They don't, plain and simple. Your friend needs to not stress about something someone wrote about her.

Unless they are writing "This girl steals from her job, molests her employees, and lies on her time-sheet" she's fine.

Your friend is over-worrying, even IF an employer asks "oh okay so we saw this thing online about you on this one guy's site" I'd laugh and say "yeah he's an ex who is mad because I dumped him" and move right on. If you don't make it a big deal neither will they.

Why not just tell us what is being posted about your friend? You already said it's written by some misogynistic person, so that already lowers his credibility of an honest evaluation towards your friend. Specially if it's a popular blog written by someone known for that sort of reputation against women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or