U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,690,462 times

Advertisements

I was 2nd place candidate for a position and they called me/reinterviewed me/hired me after the 1st place person was hired but only lasted 4 months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 PM

31 posts, read 51,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Check your SPAM folder to see if the email came Friday.
I hawk eyed my inbox and junk/spam folder. Nada from said company.

Ive learned from past mistakes to stay up on top of my spam folder. A couple months ago an HR rep from a different company contacted me regarding my submitted resume. I did not see this email for 2 or 3 days because of my spam filter. Once I did reply to the email, and also call them, I didnt hear anything back. Lesson learned...so now Im always on top of all folders.
Quote:
Else maybe they didn't get to it Friday, as planned. Most likely they are trying to get approval about somebody's schedule and that person didn't reply. So they are stuck waiting before they schedule the date/time. Friday lots of folks take days off. Plus it's flu season and also some areas are having snowstorms. Which means maybe that person had Friday off. Likely you will get the email early this week.
Im hoping I hear from them tomorrow.
Quote:
To answer your question about selling yourself. Seems they realize you current job is mundane and their job has diverse tasks. Sell yourself by saying you like juggling lots of different things at the same time, that you love new challenges and that you learn quickly.
I told the hiring manager all these things. And he enjoyed my technical aptitude as well. Time will tell. Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I was 2nd place candidate for a position and they called me/reinterviewed me/hired me after the 1st place person was hired but only lasted 4 months.
My friend told me that they didnt fire any people for the position I want. But that the company is expanding. So hopefully they were thinking "we really liked this guy last time, lets see what hes up to now and give him a real shot at getting in here". My friend told me that I came in late during the interview process last year. So Im assuming they already had favorite candidates and only interviewed me to see if I could wow them enough to bounce their top pick. This time around I applied to the job maybe just a day after it was posted, and they emailed me the day after that. So I was one of the first people they interviewed this time.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM

100 posts, read 118,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayxero View Post
Im thinking hes just not that into me as a candidate. Which is all well and good if I hadnt been rejected a year before. They remembered who I was when I came in. And he made it sound like I had a definite second interview. Oh wells. I guess thats another lesson learned regarding the job hunt game.

Thanks for the reply.
You were supposed to get an email on Friday and it didn't come (and now it's Sunday?)...am I reading this correctly? I already don't want to hire you. You have not mentioned how big this company is (though if you met with the CEO, it probably is not huge). People get busy; forms from other departments take longer than planned. You've already made a follow up phone call. I would wait at least a week before making another one.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
You were supposed to get an email on Friday and it didn't come (and now it's Sunday?)...am I reading this correctly? I already don't want to hire you. You have not mentioned how big this company is (though if you met with the CEO, it probably is not huge). People get busy; forms from other departments take longer than planned. You've already made a follow up phone call. I would wait at least a week before making another one.
I said in the OP that it was a small suburban business. (it wouldnt hurt for people to read entire OPs if they want to reply to a thread properly) The front office has maybe 25 people. Its small enough that I was able to meet the CEO/Owner. Sorry, but I currently work for a bigger more corporate company and Im used to people contacting you when they say they will, especially during the interview or hiring process. Its just polite and professional to do what you say you will be doing, especially when the other person has been communicating with you the way that you asked.

If you personally dont want to hire me because of that, then Id rather work for a company that doesnt take issue with someone who is prompt and courteous with their communication (as well as sticking to their word. Im not going to reach out to them again a week later. Especially when they said I would be interviewing early this week. By the time its a week later, itll be obvious what decisions have been made.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,101,098 times
If they are trying to set up a second interview it could be that the problem lies with setting up the interview with the internal people. I'm in the midst of interviewing with a company where I had 3 phone interviews and about a week after the last phone interview I was asked if I was willing to come in for an in person interview. I got the email at 1 am my time on a Friday night(I'm applying for an a position in Vegas) I responded within 10 minutes. I didn't get a response back until Monday that someone would be contacting me to coordinate until Tuesday. That person contacted me to get a little information about best times for me and it was another full week before they came back with a tentative date. I was anxious to hear something during that week and tempted to contact them but my sister and friends talked me down off the wall. When the coordinator finally contacted me, she apologized about not contacting me for a week and that they delay was in trying to schedule the interviews. She had to coordinate the schedules of 6 people to meet in a single day so that makes the wait time reasonable.

Since the company is expanding, it's possible that they may be hiring more that one person and may want to try to schedule their second interviews in batches so that the interviewers may only have to block off one day on their schedule instead of several days. If you feel that the interview went well it probably did, you just have to wait and not freak out while waiting. I would wait until next Friday before contacting him again. Keep in mind that since it is a small business it may be more difficult for them to find time to schedule interviews, larger companies have the advantage of having an HR department to coordinate and schedule interviews. In the mean time you may want to touch base with your friend to see if she has heard anything or possibly seen other people come in for interviews.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If they are trying to set up a second interview it could be that the problem lies with setting up the interview with the internal people. I'm in the midst of interviewing with a company where I had 3 phone interviews and about a week after the last phone interview I was asked if I was willing to come in for an in person interview. I got the email at 1 am my time on a Friday night(I'm applying for an a position in Vegas) I responded within 10 minutes. I didn't get a response back until Monday that someone would be contacting me to coordinate until Tuesday. That person contacted me to get a little information about best times for me and it was another full week before they came back with a tentative date. I was anxious to hear something during that week and tempted to contact them but my sister and friends talked me down off the wall. When the coordinator finally contacted me, she apologized about not contacting me for a week and that they delay was in trying to schedule the interviews. She had to coordinate the schedules of 6 people to meet in a single day so that makes the wait time reasonable.

Since the company is expanding, it's possible that they may be hiring more that one person and may want to try to schedule their second interviews in batches so that the interviewers may only have to block off one day on their schedule instead of several days. If you feel that the interview went well it probably did, you just have to wait and not freak out while waiting. I would wait until next Friday before contacting him again. Keep in mind that since it is a small business it may be more difficult for them to find time to schedule interviews, larger companies have the advantage of having an HR department to coordinate and schedule interviews. In the mean time you may want to touch base with your friend to see if she has heard anything or possibly seen other people come in for interviews.
Good post, thanks.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,737,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayxero View Post
I said in the OP that it was a small suburban business. (it wouldnt hurt for people to read entire OPs if they want to reply to a thread properly) The front office has maybe 25 people. Its small enough that I was able to meet the CEO/Owner. Sorry, but I currently work for a bigger more corporate company and Im used to people contacting you when they say they will, especially during the interview or hiring process. Its just polite and professional to do what you say you will be doing, especially when the other person has been communicating with you the way that you asked.

If you personally dont want to hire me because of that, then Id rather work for a company that doesnt take issue with someone who is prompt and courteous with their communication (as well as sticking to their word. Im not going to reach out to them again a week later. Especially when they said I would be interviewing early this week. By the time its a week later, itll be obvious what decisions have been made.
I agree, it is both polite and professional to get back to people when you say you will. Don't commit to an exact date and than not get back with some type of status.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM

4,651 posts, read 6,501,683 times
Man stop stressing. Either it happens or it doesn't. Don't step looking. Stay in contact and go with the flow.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Man stop stressing. Either it happens or it doesn't. Don't step looking. Stay in contact and go with the flow.
Job hunting as we speak.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Ok, its now midday, and I have still not heard anything, so I presume I can chalk this up as a loss and a learning experience. Thanks to those who chimed in. Mods you can close this if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search