U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 AM

100 posts, read 118,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayxero View Post
Ok, its now midday, and I have still not heard anything, so I presume I can chalk this up as a loss and a learning experience.
I'm lost. What did you learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:30 AM

31 posts, read 51,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
I'm lost. What did you learn?
Some places of business don't stick to their word when it comes to communication. I have not dealt with this anywhere else before, even during college with lame part time jobs. Its always been that the hiring manager called or emailed when they said they would.

*kanye shrug*

Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,791,778 times
Quote:
Im thinking hes just not that into me as a candidate. Which is all well and good if I hadnt been rejected a year before. They remembered who I was when I came in. And he made it sound like I had a definite second interview. Oh wells. I guess thats another lesson learned regarding the job hunt game.

Thanks for the reply.
This is a new time, not an extension of the first time. So.... I think they're giving you another shot to see if your experience has changed. However, they're under no obligations to treat you differently even if you have already interviewed a year ago.

Also, you are lucky if this is the first and only time you've experienced this. I have had loads of folks not get back to me when they said they would, because they were overly optimistic on dates. They're people, too, and things come up.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
This is a new time, not an extension of the first time. So.... I think they're giving you another shot to see if your experience has changed. However, they're under no obligations to treat you differently even if you have already interviewed a year ago.
I agree that they are giving me another shot. Its just that, the first time last year, I at least was given good communication. And I at least received a rejection email. Right now it seems like they just went dark on me.

As stated before, I wouldn't mind this if I hadn't previously interview or if I was not told twice that Id be schedule for a second interview. That's what makes this confusing and frustrating for me.
Quote:
Also, you are lucky if this is the first and only time you've experienced this. I have had loads of folks not get back to me when they said they would, because they were overly optimistic on dates. They're people, too, and things come up.
Youre right. I get busy too, but I always make it a point to stick to my appointments, and if I cant, I inform people. I don't have my hopes up regarding this job any longer. If I was a candidate they really wanted, Im sure communication would have been much better.

Thanks for the reply.

PS - I didn't receive a reply to my follow up email yesterday. Surprising lol

Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM

100 posts, read 118,705 times
Quote:
I agree that they are giving me another shot. Its just that, the first time last year, I at least was given good communication. And I at least received a rejection email. Right now it seems like they just went dark on me.
A rejection email is not good communication; companies (or people) send rejections by email when they don't want to answer the "Why are you not hiring me?" question. Most likely if you did ask that question, you would be told something like "We went with a more qualified candidate". Again, not good communication. Hiring managers are either so afraid of getting sued (or just fearful of any contact) that you will rarely get an answer here.

If I have interviewed 10 people for a job, a few of them will stand out, a few of them will be poor, and most of them will be in the middle...capable of doing the work, but probably not going to get the job unless nobody else applies. My HR department will request a reason why I haven't hired each one (and I assume "Smelled bad" during the interview would be sufficient; that will never get passed on to the candidate. It's sad that something as simple as that can continue to wreck ones career. In your case, it looks like you've expressed to them that you're unhappy in your current job, and you seem very anxious to start a new one; these are warning signs to me.

Anyway: I don't know what's going on with this particular company. But being a few days late getting back to you does not feel like a long time when you are busy at work. If you are unemployed or in a job you hate, it feels like an eternity. I personally would not bother calling you if I was only a week behind (I wouldn't have given you a specific day I was going to call you, either--are you sure that's what happened)? I would end up calling you every day with mundane things like: "The background check still hasn't gone through" and "vice president still hasn't signed the offer letter". I wouldn't have time to do this.

For anyone else: a thank you note sent a few days later is not terribly irritating. I wouldn't say it helps your chances very much, and I would view it as a "hey, remember me", but it is not as bad as asking why I didn't get back to you yesterday when I said I would and I can't sleep and please call me tomorrow...

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

^Youre right. My current job does make it seem like an eternity. And yes, the hiring manager both times gave me a specific day when he would be contacting me. And both times when he mentioned the second interview, he said I would be coming in early this week.

Im just confused as to what went wrong now.

I already sent a thank you note to the CEO and the hiring manager the afternoon following my interview last Monday. The CEO replied by saying "You are welcome. Good luck." The manager who Id be reporting to did not reply. And then when I spoke to him last Thursday he told me to expect that email Friday. And after I didn't get that email, I sent a follow up email mid Monday (yesterday) just to touch base and make sure there were no technical difficulties on my end.

It read:

"Hello *Hiring Manager*,

I am just touching base again because I did not receive an email Friday regarding scheduling of a second interview. I know your business can be very busy, but I just wanted to make sure there were no technical difficulties on my end in case an email was sent. I hope you had a great weekend.

Regards,

*kayxero*"

Now I can only wait. Ive done my part, and I hope I wasn't too forward. I feel Ive been professional with showing my interest in the position. What would you say?

PS - I expressed to them that I want more diversity in my work and that cold calling wasn't the right fit for me. The hiring manager even agreed and then tried to keep letting me know how diverse their position would be. If my dissatisfaction with my current position was a warning sign, why offer a second interview? I figure its common sense to anyone in HR that dissatisfaction is why people look for new jobs.

Last edited by Kayxero; 01-28-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 PM

UPDATE:

So I spoke to my friend that works there last week. She said not to take the lack of communication personally as the business has been very busy. And that this week the hiring manager would be on a business trip handling one of their biggest customers. She said that she did not see anyone come in for 2nd interview yet either.

So today I received a reply to my follow up email from last Monday. The hiring manager let me know that hes overseas and that he wont be back in our state until early next week. He thanked me for my follow up and said we will schedule things when he returns.

So lets see what happens.

PS - Do I reply to say Ill talk to him soon and wish him a safe trip? Or do I just wait to speak next week?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,784 times
I would shoot him a quick email thanking him for the update and wish him a safe trip and letting him that you're looking forward to talking to him when he gets back

Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 AM

15,357 posts, read 17,616,116 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

So I spoke to my friend that works there last week. She said not to take the lack of communication personally as the business has been very busy. And that this week the hiring manager would be on a business trip handling one of their biggest customers. She said that she did not see anyone come in for 2nd interview yet either.

So today I received a reply to my follow up email from last Monday. The hiring manager let me know that hes overseas and that he wont be back in our state until early next week. He thanked me for my follow up and said we will schedule things when he returns.

So lets see what happens.

PS - Do I reply to say Ill talk to him soon and wish him a safe trip? Or do I just wait to speak next week?
I would wait until I hear back from him again. IMO, you have been following up with them a little more than I would suggest. So far it hasn't backfired on you. But you don't want to bug them.

Wish him a safe trip? That's kind of weird and probably not something I would want to say to him if I was a candidate for a job. ....Hiring manager: Hope your plane doesn't crash. Hope the country you are in doesn't take you hostage. (being sarcastic).

Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I would wait until I hear back from him again. IMO, you have been following up with them a little more than I would suggest. So far it hasn't backfired on you. But you don't want to bug them.

Wish him a safe trip? That's kind of weird and probably not something I would want to say to him if I was a candidate for a job. ....Hiring manager: Hope your plane doesn't crash. Hope the country you are in doesn't take you hostage. (being sarcastic).
Lol true. Ill just leave it in their hands for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search