U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 51,202 times

Advertisements

So I applied to this local business exactly a year ago. An old college classmate/friend of mine had been working there for 2 months at the time, and encouraged me to apply. I sent a follow up email a week after submitting my resume online, and received a call in to interview. My interview had to be reschedule by almost ten days because snow ruined my original date, and I guess the manager had travel plans that following week. Anyways, I had an ok interview, but did not receive a second interview or anything. I got an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, and informing me that the company was going with another candidate.

I was really bummed at the time because I felt I would be able to do the job really well, and the position was really made for fresh grads or professionals with not much experience yet (which I still am the latter). I also thought that having my friend there would help me get the job. The hiring manager asked her about me, and she vouched for me being a smart guy, and that she felt Id be able to do the job easily.

Anyways, almost 2 weeks ago I see the same position again online...and I thought "why not apply again? It wont hurt". Next day the CEO emails me, and we schedule an interview. They tried to get me to come in that Friday, but I told them I needed to give my boss more than an afternoon's notice that Id need to come in late. So we scheduled for last Monday.

I met with the CEO very briefly. He gave me a quick screening, and passed me on to the hiring manager who I met with last year. The hiring manager was very quick to explain to me how the budget is expanding, how the company is expanding, and why they only hire so few people when they do hiring. It did seem like he was trying to smooth over why I was not selected the year before.

I let them know why I wanted to leave my current position, and how I felt my current job was not the right fit for me. The hiring manager 4 or 5 times made sure I knew that Id have a more diverse workload, the ability to grow professionally, and that I wouldn't be doing the tasks which I said weren't the right fit for me at my current job (I basically cold call people to do surveys all day). It seemed like he really wanted to let me know that the company was expanding and that I wouldn't have to worry about having a mundane role with little room for growth...aka...he was trying to sell me on the position it seemed.

Anyways the interview went well, we even had a couple laughs, and he told me they would touch base at the end of the week. He also gave me his card and told me to call him to check-in with him in case I hadn't heard from him by the end of the week. He said he wanted to get me in for a second interview Friday or early next week. And I made sure to send him and the CEO thank you emails a couple hours after my interview.

So I called him Thursday, and he told me that Id receive an email Friday afternoon with my date and time for my second interview next week. However, I cant shake the feeling that I may not get the job again. Granted I made it to the second interview this time...but with how much I hate my job right now, I really have not felt the most optimistic with regard to my professional life. I just really need to know how to sell myself in this second interview.

Friday came and went, and I didn't receive that email detailing the day and time of my second interview. I don't think this looks good at all. Especially when he said he wanted to see me early next week. Seems like if I was a strong candidate and if they were concerned about me giving my current job notice, that they would let me know when to come in ahead of time. It seems unprofessional and rude in my opinion, to not even call me or take 30 seconds to email me. I know business get busy, but this place is a small suburban business.

Oh wells. I dont mind not getting a job I want. I do mind lack of communication when it pertains to a job I was already rejected for a year ago. Especially when I lose money by taking time off from work to interview at the place that already rejected me. *sigh*

Plus tbh, the fact that I had to call him Thursday to touch base, instead of them calling me, has be a little anxious. Also the hiring manager was loads more talkative and friendly than the CEO when I met him. So I was worried about that....but then again I was told I was having a second interview...so the CEO must have liked me initially. Lastly, the fact that they schedule interviews by way of email has me wondering too. Ive always had employers call me.

I know Im psyching myself out, but I could use some advice and would like to hear about others experiences when it comes to reinterviewing for a position you didn't originally get.

Thanks

Last edited by Kayxero; 01-26-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,635,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayxero View Post
So I applied to this local business exactly a year ago. An old college classmate/friend of mine had been working there for 2 months at the time, and encouraged me to apply. I sent a follow up email a week after submitting my resume online, and received a call in to interview. My interview had to be reschedule by almost ten days because snow ruined my original date, and I guess the manager had travel plans that following week. Anyways, I had an ok interview, but did not receive a second interview or anything. I got an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, and informing me that the company was going with another candidate.

I was really bummed at the time because I felt I would be able to do the job really well, and the position was really made for fresh grads or professionals with not much experience yet (which I still am the latter). I also thought that having my friend there would help me get the job. The hiring manager asked her about me, and she vouched for me being a smart guy, and that she felt Id be able to do the job easily.

Anyways, almost 2 weeks ago I see the same position again online...and I thought "why not apply again? It wont hurt". Next day the CEO emails me, and we schedule an interview. They tried to get me to come in that Friday, but I told them I needed to give my boss more than an afternoon's notice that Id need to come in late. So we scheduled for last Monday.

I met with the CEO very briefly. He gave me a quick screening, and passed me on to the hiring manager who I met with last year. The hiring manager was very quick to explain to me how the budget is expanding, how the company is expanding, and why they only hire so few people when they do hiring. It did seem like he was trying to smooth over why I was not selected the year before.

I let them know why I wanted to leave my current position, and how I felt my current job was not the right fit for me. The hiring manager 4 or 5 times made sure I knew that Id have a more diverse workload, the ability to grow professionally, and that I wouldn't be doing the tasks which I said weren't the right fit for me at my current job (I basically cold call people to do surveys all day). It seemed like he really wanted to let me know that the company was expanding and that I wouldn't have to worry about having a mundane role with little room for growth...aka...he was trying to sell me on the position it seemed.

Anyways the interview went well, we even had a couple laughs, and he told me they would touch base at the end of the week. He also gave me his card and told me to call him to check-in with him in case I hadn't heard from him by the end of the week. He said he wanted to get me in for a second interview Friday or early next week. And I made sure to send him and the CEO thank you emails a couple hours after my interview.

So I called him Thursday, and he told me that Id receive an email Friday afternoon with my date and time for my second interview next week. However, I cant shake the feeling that I may not get the job again. Granted I made it to the second interview this time...but with how much I hate my job right now, I really have not felt the most optimistic with regard to my professional life. I just really need to know how to sell myself in this second interview.

Friday came and went, and I didn't receive that email detailing the day and time of my second interview. I don't think this looks good at all. Especially when he said he wanted to see me early next week. Seems like if I was a strong candidate and if they were concerned about me giving my current job notice, that they would let me know when to come in ahead of time. It seems unprofessional and rude in my opinion, to not even call me or take 30 seconds to email me. I know business get busy, but this place is a small suburban business.

Oh wells. I dont mind not getting a job I want. I do mind lack of communication when it pertains to a job I was already rejected for a year ago. Especially when I lose money by taking time off from work to interview at the place that already rejected me. *sigh*

Plus tbh, the fact that I had to call him Thursday to touch base, instead of them calling me, has be a little anxious. Also the hiring manager was loads more talkative and friendly than the CEO when I met him. So I was worried about that....but then again I was told I was having a second interview...so the CEO must have liked me initially. Lastly, the fact that they schedule interviews by way of email has me wondering too. Ive always had employers call me.

I know Im psyching myself out, but I could use some advice and would like to hear about others experiences when it comes to reinterviewing for a position you didn't originally get.

Thanks
You mind lack of communication? Then why didn't you call? Sometimes you can't rely on other people to do things for you, take the initiative and call him and setup a time for the second interview.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You mind lack of communication? Then why didn't you call? Sometimes you can't rely on other people to do things for you, take the initiative and call him and setup a time for the second interview.
I called him Thursday afternoon and followed his instructions to be on the lookout for his email. I think my persistence in reapplying and calling him to follow up on Thursday shows Im communicating just fine. Good communication is a two way thing. Im not going to hound them about it.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,635,471 times
Quote:
I called him Thursday afternoon and followed his instructions to be on the lookout for his email. I think my persistence in reapplying and calling him to follow up on Thursday shows Im communicating just fine. Good communication is a two way thing. Im not going to hound them about it.
Then why are you typing this post and worrying about it?

You don't want to hound, but you are worried about them not calling you back? That would be an oxymoron. Give it until Monday noon, if no contact call again.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Then why are you typing this post and worrying about it?
Did you read my post? I want to see what others experience are in re-interviewing for positions.
Quote:
You don't want to hound, but you are worried about them not calling you back? That would be an oxymoron. Give it until Monday noon, if no contact call again.
Thats not an oxymoron. Persistence is good, but looking desperate and hounding them is not. Read the last few sentences in my OP. Im curious about others experience with re-interviewing.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:13 PM

400 posts, read 1,317,566 times
Quote:
Did you read my post? I want to see what others experience are in re-interviewing for positions.

Thats not an oxymoron. Persistence is good, but looking desperate and hounding them is not. Read the last few sentences in my OP. Im curious about others experience with re-interviewing.
why do people post then get super defensive when they get real yet unexpected advice

Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
why do people post then get super defensive when they get real yet unexpected advice
Real advice is telling me I didnt communicate when I in fact did communicate and call them Thursday afternoon? Ok sure.

Anybody have any experiences to share with regards to reinterviewing for a position? Id much appreciate hearing some stories.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:01 PM

9,988 posts, read 16,655,709 times
Keep in mind the fact that recruiting is like a courtship, after you are hired it is akin to a marriage. If the manager isn't following through that may be typical of his communication skills, his work load, or that he really isn't into you.

Ask the person who you know who works/once worked there to see what they think.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,598,692 times
Check your SPAM folder to see if the email came Friday.

Else maybe they didn't get to it Friday, as planned. Most likely they are trying to get approval about somebody's schedule and that person didn't reply. So they are stuck waiting before they schedule the date/time. Friday lots of folks take days off. Plus it's flu season and also some areas are having snowstorms. Which means maybe that person had Friday off. Likely you will get the email early this week.

To answer your question about selling yourself. Seems they realize you current job is mundane and their job has diverse tasks. Sell yourself by saying you like juggling lots of different things at the same time, that you love new challenges and that you learn quickly.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Keep in mind the fact that recruiting is like a courtship, after you are hired it is akin to a marriage. If the manager isn't following through that may be typical of his communication skills, his work load, or that he really isn't into you.

Ask the person who you know who works/once worked there to see what they think.
Im thinking hes just not that into me as a candidate. Which is all well and good if I hadnt been rejected a year before. They remembered who I was when I came in. And he made it sound like I had a definite second interview. Oh wells. I guess thats another lesson learned regarding the job hunt game.

Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search