U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
43,220 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Reputation: 82996

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Good grief. Asking the company is excellent advice and has nothing to do with backing the car out of a driveway.
It will reflect poorly. If it's a small company, whoever he asks will inevitably share it with someone else there, and he will look unsure and indecisive. If he can't even figure out how to dress himself, how can they expect him to do the job?? That kind of thing.



Figure all this kind of stuff out on your own so that when you walk in on interview day, there is no doubt you're a boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM
 
1,549 posts, read 2,982,819 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It will reflect poorly. If it's a small company, whoever he asks will inevitably share it with someone else there, and he will look unsure and indecisive. If he can't even figure out how to dress himself, how can they expect him to do the job?? That kind of thing.



Figure all this kind of stuff out on your own so that when you walk in on interview day, there is no doubt you're a boss.
I disagree. I'd much rather have someone who asks once (especially when it's something strictly opinion such as proper dress), gets the answer, and does it right, than someone who's too afraid/proud to ask and then possibly messes up the entire project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,672,524 times
Reputation: 33987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I disagree. I'd much rather have someone who asks once (especially when it's something strictly opinion such as proper dress), gets the answer, and does it right, than someone who's too afraid/proud to ask and then possibly messes up the entire project.
The OP isn't going to a backyard party and needs to find out whether to bring a bathing suit, it is a job interview.

Unless you're instructed by the company that business casual is fine, you wear a suit.

This has nothing to do with messing up a project. I agree, in that scenario you want people who ask the "stupid questions", better to do that than "assume".

But you don't call up a company and ask them what you should wear on your interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
 
1,549 posts, read 2,982,819 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The OP isn't going to a backyard party and needs to find out whether to bring a bathing suit, it is a job interview.

Unless you're instructed by the company that business casual is fine, you wear a suit.

This has nothing to do with messing up a project. I agree, in that scenario you want people who ask the "stupid questions", better to do that than "assume".

But you don't call up a company and ask them what you should wear on your interview.
Job interviews don't always require a suit. While most places won't dock you for being too dressy, some will. An interview is a project, and I appreciate the person who goes out of their way to get the information needed for a successful project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 5,203,035 times
Reputation: 3424
Default Interview update??

OP...

How'd the interview go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM
 
308 posts, read 165,489 times
Reputation: 673
I had an interview on Friday and when I arrived in a suit dress the woman interviewing me said she almost called me and told me it was casual Friday and I could have worn jeans. I told her I still wouldn't have. I was way overdressed compared to everyone else I saw, but I think she liked that I took the interview more seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
Reputation: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I had an interview on Friday and when I arrived in a suit dress the woman interviewing me said she almost called me and told me it was casual Friday and I could have worn jeans. I told her I still wouldn't have. I was way overdressed compared to everyone else I saw, but I think she liked that I took the interview more seriously.
Good interviewee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
 
24 posts, read 33,484 times
Reputation: 22
Btw...got the job. I'm part-time now, but will go full-time once I'm done teaching this semester. Didn't wear a suit, either. Nobody here does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Kountze, Texas
1,013 posts, read 1,159,032 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Despite the general advice of "going with the flow" of what you see at a company, I'll agree with the rest that it's better to overdress. The advantage that the folks you see have are they already have the job. AFAIK, most places won't fire you without a warning for not dressing to standards.

You may look ridiculous wearing something like an Armani suit for a job that's not really worthy of it, but I've never heard of getting "demerit points" for being overdressed vs. underdressed. I remember Amazon saying that a suit and tie won't impress anybody (so it does sound like they go for substance over style), but nothing seemed to indicate that that would hurt your chances.

ONLY EXCEPTION IS IF YOU WERE EXPLICITLY TOLD NOT TO WEAR A SUIT!
This brought back a memory -

I was a very young - (19-20) Airman based in Japan - going before a "board" - can't remember if Airman of the Month or my Below-the Zone - whichever - I got the award - and later one of the Msgt's told me I almost didn't get it - because one of the board members was sure that I wasn't wearing panty hose - since it was such a close color match to my skin - and it took 3 others to stress that I wouldn't be that stupid - of course she is wearing hose -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,279 posts, read 3,925,400 times
Reputation: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkram View Post
Btw...got the job. I'm part-time now, but will go full-time once I'm done teaching this semester. Didn't wear a suit, either. Nobody here does.
Congrats!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top